Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that the club owes its players, particularly its longest serving ones, respect. I just have zero doubts that the club has shown Parker the respect he deserves this year.

This year? Haha come on mate.

Not selecting someone or having a role for them in the team isn't disrespecting them though. Parker would surely know this, even if it is unfamiliar territory for him.

Making them the sub repeatedly despite showing better form than teammates, playing them in the VFL despite good form and the Seniors requiring someone of their caliber, I mean, really?

Not selecting someone or having a role for them in the team isn't disrespecting them though. Parker would surely know this, even if it is unfamiliar territory for him.
I most definitely didn't say it was! What MIGHT have occurred was a tough discussion with Horse as to WHY he wasn't being selected. That would be a respectful thing to occur but possibly very upsetting.

I didn't take too much away from the interview other than Parker sounds like someone who hasn't got the offer he wants from the club in front of him just yet.

I didn't take too much away from the interview other than Parker sounds like someone who hasn't got the offer he wants from the club in front of him just yet.

Bingo.

If the clubs says "Mate you finished the year off strong, you'll be in the Best 22 next year to start the year but you need to play to this level to maintain that spot" Parker may well say "Sure thing Horse I'm happy to prove myself and earn that spot". Alternatively the club might say "Mate you've been great for us but we don't see a key role for you next year so you'll be in and out of the VFL as and when there's a 23rd spot available for you in the team" and Parker may say "Respect that but I'll back myself to play every game I'm available for in the Seniors so I'll look for a team that gives me that opportunity".

Tbh i don't see him cracking into the North midfield either given that they have LDU Wardlaw Sheezel Powell McKercher Simpkin and their draftee in 2024. So he would probably be going to North for financial security of more money (well within his rights to do that

Making them the sub repeatedly despite showing better form than teammates, playing them in the VFL despite good form and the Seniors requiring someone of their caliber, I mean, really?
That's your opinion though. The match selection committee obviously saw it differently. That's footy. Every tough, or even wrong, decision is not a sign of disrespect.

Bingo.

If the clubs says "Mate you finished the year off strong, you'll be in the Best 22 next year to start the year but you need to play to this level to maintain that spot" Parker may well say "Sure thing Horse I'm happy to prove myself and earn that spot". Alternatively the club might say "Mate you've been great for us but we don't see a key role for you next year so you'll be in and out of the VFL as and when there's a 23rd spot available for you in the team" and Parker may say "Respect that but I'll back myself to play every game I'm available for in the Seniors so I'll look for a team that gives me that opportunity".
The club then has two choices:
1 Sorry, you're contracted
2 You have our blessing
Given his stature I would hope for the second.

That's your opinion though. The match selection committee obviously saw it differently. That's footy. Every tough, or even wrong, decision is not a sign of disrespect.

It's only an opinion insofar as I am saying I think being made the sub repeatedly and playing predominantly in the VFL on the return from injury would be galling for a senior player. The fact is that is what happened to Parker though. Parker himself made several pointed comments about being unhappy with being the sub against North and then again against Port. Whether he's right to be unhappy with that or not, that's fact. Compare and contrast with Mills' treatment on his own return from a (far more questionable) injury. Mills had only just been made sole captain (a role he took from Parker) so to suggest one is treated differently due to being captain is, for me, a cop out.

The club then has two choices:
1 Sorry, you're contracted
2 You have our blessing
Given his stature I would hope for the second.

Yes of course. MF and I are suggesting that Parker hasn't made a call because he's waiting on that conversation and what the club has in mind for him.

Tbh i don't see him cracking into the North midfield either given that they have LDU Wardlaw Sheezel Powell McKercher Simpkin and their draftee in 2024. So he would probably be going to North for financial security of more money (well within his rights to do that

I think he most definitely gets in over Powell (who has played more forward anyway) and Simpkin. Sheezel and McKercher play a lot of their best footy off HB anyway as well.

I think he most definitely gets in over Powell (who has played more forward anyway) and Simpkin. Sheezel and McKercher play a lot of their best footy off HB anyway as well.
Not at all Powell is averaging like 22 4 and 4 when he is played in the midfield role, he also uses the ball a lot better than Parker would. Simpkin also is just a younger version of Parker so he is probably as good as Parker was 2-3 years ago. Just think Parker offers more in that forward role than either of those two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only an opinion insofar as I am saying I think being made the sub repeatedly and playing predominantly in the VFL on the return from injury would be galling for a senior player. The fact is that is what happened to Parker though. Parker himself made several pointed comments about being unhappy with being the sub against North and then again against Port. Whether he's right to be unhappy with that or not, that's fact. Compare and contrast with Mills' treatment on his own return from a (far more questionable) injury. Mills had only just been made sole captain (a role he took from Parker) so to suggest one is treated differently due to being captain is, for me, a cop out.
Parker's entitled to receive and perceive his treatment how he wants. It doesn't make it disrespectful.

"So far I don't believe the club has disrespected Parker...". Perhaps Parker doesn't like the look of the present or the future. Hard to know for sure.
Parker is in our best 22 and we barely have any injuries. At the present he knows he is a part of our best but like Adams I reckon he doubts his future at the club. Sheldrick, Cleary, Wicks, Co Warner will all be knocking on the door. He doesn't need to slip up much to lose his spot next season.

If we keep him it's because we promise him a coaching role afterwards

Parker's entitled to receive and perceive his treatment how he wants. It doesn't make it disrespectful.

Nah that's actually your opinion now. If Parker has expressed disappointment with how he's been treated, which he's basically gone as far as any player would in public with his comments about being the sub and how tough this year has been for him, that's how he feels. I think any rational person would consider his treatment disrespectful but you disagree and that's your opinion.

Not at all Powell is averaging like 22 4 and 4 when he is played in the midfield role, he also uses the ball a lot better than Parker would. Simpkin also is just a younger version of Parker so he is probably as good as Parker was 2-3 years ago. Just think Parker offers more in that forward role than either of those two

Quite possibly, but in this era of footy you can play anywhere and rotate through midfield with 5, 6, 7 options getting game time. He'd be best 22 at North quite easily and whether that's a 70/30 or 30/70 midfield split he's still playing every game he's available for. And with his history of soft tissues what it is, I think that'd be 20+ games next year.

Nah that's actually your opinion now. If Parker has expressed disappointment with how he's been treated, which he's basically gone as far as any player would in public with his comments about being the sub and how tough this year has been for him, that's how he feels. I think any rational person would consider his treatment disrespectful but you disagree and that's your opinion.
I disagree plenty of times with caesar88 but on this he is spot on. The club's actions might be right or wrong but at no time have they been disrespectful. How Parker perceived them and then acts is on him and him alone.

I disagree plenty of times with caesar88 but on this he is spot on. The club's actions might be right or wrong but at no time have they been disrespectful. How Parker perceived them and then acts is on him and him alone.

And that's your opinion too, but it takes two to tango and IF Parker feels slighted THEN all parties have a part to play in that.

- D. B.

Ok I’ve just heard on the news Luke Parker is in negs with north Melbourne. WTAF ??

Any rational person would consider being made sub, played in the VFL, getting snubbed at selection, etc. "disrespectful"?

These are basic parts of footy. Parker himself was part of a midfield shift that saw his teammates relegated to other roles and being traded out or forced to finish out their careers in the VFL.

Bloody good players too - Jude, ROK, Jack.

If he thinks he's above that, then that's his right, but it would stink of entitlement on his behalf.

I'd personally rather give him a bit more credit that IF he wants out, it's because he wants to prolong his career and better his opportunities going forward, not because he's let his frustrations with his 2024 season develop into a grudge against the club that's looked after him for the last near-15 years.

Any rational person would consider being made sub, played in the VFL, getting snubbed at selection, etc. "disrespectful"?

These are basic parts of footy. Parker himself was part of a midfield shift that saw his teammates relegated to other roles and being traded out or forced to finish out their careers in the VFL.

Bloody good players too - Jude, ROK, Jack.

If he thinks he's above that, then that's his right, but it would stink of entitlement on his behalf.

I'd personally rather give him a bit more credit that IF he wants out, it's because he wants to prolong his career and better his opportunities going forward, not because he's let his frustrations with his 2024 season develop into a grudge against the club that's looked after him for the last near-15 years.

Mate we're just going around in circles now. We can agree to disagree on this but there's no smoke without fire. Punts likely had it right earlier in the year that the club is 'Treloar'-ing him and trying to push him out the door. As you say, it's a part of footy.

Only one party playing this out in public and it isn't the club. They have him contracted for next year and that's exactly what Harley reiterated on the weekend.

Only Luke Parker is creating doubt about it and making comment on being sub or his future , while the club is trying to win a flag.

I don't actually care if he does, If he wants to go , like I said we should help him best we can.

But I am not sure why anyone questions the clubs actions here, no player is bigger than the club.

I certainly doubt Sydney has talked to clubs about trading him, maybe his manager has reached out elsewhere though. Good luck to him have to look out for yourself as a player. But the club doesn't need to pander to anyone.

On his finals performance it was pretty poor on the weekend, 1 tackle in a month is pretty dismal. But he has delivered more often than not in September and if that's his worst finals game it's not bad really, he still had a little impact late etc. We know he will put up a fight and what we will get from him. Also like Mcveigh said he can hit the scoreboard when others can't , that's got a lot of value too.

It's been an adjustment of roles and expectations all round.

I just would like to see more focus on Sydney's finals than Parker's future . Perhaps he could focus on that as well given he is contracted. But even as someone who is concerned with his role on the weekend , I think he still has a role to play the next 2 games. We just need to put him in the right spot.

Only one party playing this out in public and it isn't the club. They have him contracted for next year and that's exactly what Harley reiterated on the weekend.

Only Luke Parker is creating doubt about it and making comment on being sub or his future , while the club is trying to win a flag.

I don't actually care if he does, If he wants to go , like I said we should help him best we can.

But I am not sure why anyone questions the clubs actions here, no player is bigger than the club.

I certainly doubt Sydney has talked to clubs about trading him, maybe his manager has reached out elsewhere though. Good luck to him have to look out for yourself as a player. But the club doesn't need to pander to anyone.

On his finals performance it was pretty poor on the weekend, 1 tackle in a month is pretty dismal. But he has delivered more often than not in September and if that's his worst finals game it's not bad really, he still had a little impact late etc. We know he will put up a fight and what we will get from him. Also like Mcveigh said he can hit the scoreboard when others can't , that's got a lot of value too.

It's been an adjustment of roles and expectations all round.

I just would like to see more focus on Sydney's finals than Parker's future . Perhaps he could focus on that as well given he is contracted. But even as someone who is concerned with his role on the weekend , I think he still has a role to play the next 2 games. We just need to put him in the right spot.

Agree with most of this but on the point about 'only one party playing it out in public' Parker has said as much publicly as Harley. The media speculation about him going to North may well have come from his manager but is no different to a dozen other players who are being shopped around. The leaks always end up coming from managers not clubs because what incentives do clubs have for leaking that stuff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back