Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
If he goes to North it'll look a lot like when Nick Mal left for the Suns. And that's fine. No one will remember he played for North after his career. Same with Hanners and the Saints

That's still an if
I met Mal a few years ago. Top bloke.

He told me he wanted to stay at the Swans - best club he's ever been a part of. But the offer from the Suns was for more money, extra year and a pathway into coaching post retirement. It was one the Swans did not want to match and he couldn't refuse.

Would not begrudge Parks in the slightest if he leaves for a similar reason.

Last edited:
You are just plain wrong about that. Each party is responsible for their own actions and the other for their responses.

That feels a touch like victim blaming to me. :)

That feels a touch like victim blaming to me. :)
You are assuming that he is a victim.
Here is a link that explains, not perfectly, what I'm talking about. I'm NOT saying that Parker and the club have not had adult conversations along the way but if they have there are SOME signs that he is dissatisfied with them. That is his right of course but how he handles it says a lot about his level of maturity.
The King! post previous page I think is very pertinent.

You are assuming that he is a victim.
Here is a link that explains, not perfectly, what I'm talking about. I'm NOT saying that Parker and the club have not had adult conversations along the way but if they have there are SOME signs that he is dissatisfied with them. That is his right of course but how he handles it says a lot about his level of maturity.
The King! post previous page I think is very pertinent.

No you're the one saying he's the one 'at fault' for feeling disrespected or hard done by. All I'm saying is each party has a part to play which I believe is also what you are saying.

Mate we're just going around in circles now. We can agree to disagree on this but there's no smoke without fire. Punts likely had it right earlier in the year that the club is 'Treloar'-ing him and trying to push him out the door. As you say, it's a part of footy.
fwiw the hawks did it with hodge mitchell and lewis and i dont think it was bad for any of the parties involved.

nobody thinks of jordy lewis as a melbourne player. They just think that as he'd reached the end of his career he was able to go and help another club and prolong it for that little bit.

fwiw the hawks did it with hodge mitchell and lewis and i dont think it was bad for any of the parties involved.

nobody thinks of jordy lewis as a melbourne player. They just think that as he'd reached the end of his career he was able to go and help another club and prolong it for that little bit.

that is to say that i think you are both right. parker feels hard done by. the club thinks his best footy is behind him and hes impacting on the development of the next tier.

Funny, when some other players put up a similar stat line they're lauded for being an important part of the structure of a winning team
There are possessions and there are critical possessions.

Most or every Heeney, Papley, even James Jordon possessions contributes positively. Parker hack kicks or handpasses to another player under more pressure.

Rory Laird gets 30 a game and you don't even remember him playing.

Lloyd as HBF used to get 25 a game.
1/3 Kick outs
1/3 15m kicks in B50 or a bomb to a pack
1/3 would heavily improve our attack and ball movement.

Now, on the wing, he is critical most of the time, for ball movement and scoring improvement.

Hayward's and Rowbottom possessions are meaningful and their pressure.

Parker is a product of the old ways. No composure and awareness. Time to balance to kick at goal or to a forward but a hack kick that was 10m short of the goal and not to a forwards advantage. He is that, unfortunately.
2e530389ab6fadc9bdf5090c7405fbcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

There are possessions and there are critical possessions.

Most or every Heeney, Papley, even James Jordon possessions contributes positively. Parker hack kicks or handpasses to another player under more pressure.

Rory Laird gets 30 a game and you don't even remember him playing.

Lloyd as HBF used to get 25 a game.
1/3 Kick outs
1/3 15m kicks in B50 or a bomb to a pack
1/3 would heavily improve our attack and ball movement.

Now, on the wing, he is critical most of the time, for ball movement and scoring improvement.

Hayward's and Rowbottom possessions are meaningful and their pressure.

Parker is a product of the old ways. No composure and awareness. Time to balance to kick at goal or to a forward but a hack kick that was 10m short of the goal and not to a forwards advantage. He is that, unfortunately.
2e530389ab6fadc9bdf5090c7405fbcc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Still looking forward to the numerous other examples of him having poor Finals games that contribute to him 'always' failing to deliver.

Parker legitimately averages 22 touches and 7 tackles a game in the finals.
Has 8 games of 20+ touches and a goal (does that once every 3 finals games). Also has plenty of 20+ touch games with a behind and 2 19 disposal 1+ goal games all in finals.

His best is probably the 2022 qualifying finals game against Melbourne where he had 25 touches a goal, 9 clearances and 11 tackles.
Or 2014 against North Melbourne in the Prelim Final where he had 26 touches 3 goals 6 clearances and 8 tackles going at 92.3% DE.

Has 8 games of 20+ touches and a goal (does that once every 3 finals games). Also has plenty of 20+ touch games with a behind and 2 19 disposal 1+ goal games all in finals.

His best is probably the 2022 qualifying finals game against Melbourne where he had 25 touches a goal, 9 clearances and 11 tackles.
Or 2014 against North Melbourne in the Prelim Final where he had 26 touches 3 goals 6 clearances and 8 tackles going at 92.3% DE.

2021 too.

That's certainly a take.

'Another'? Care to point out the last Finals miss from him?

He was one of our best against the Blues last year in Finals, was massive in 22 in the QF and PF, and had just the 13 more touches than any other player in the EF in 2021, so not sure I'd agree he's 'just a H&A bully'. Outside of the 2022 GF and this QF he's been one of our standouts in Finals in recent years. And hell, even in 2022 only Fox and Warner had more touches, and he had the 14 tackles with the next best being 6, so you could make a case that he wasn't even poor in the GF.

I'm not going to sit here and claim he was in our best on the weekend, and I'm also very aware I regularly come into bat for him so some would call that a bias of some sort, but the amount of slander directed at one of the legends of our club is just plain weird.
Tbf, like a few yesterday, he had moments that were really important.

His 2014 QF against Freo where he went 1 on 1 with Fyfe is still my favourite

Tbh i don't see him cracking into the North midfield either given that they have LDU Wardlaw Sheezel Powell McKercher Simpkin and their draftee in 2024. So he would probably be going to North for financial security of more money (well within his rights to do that
Parker has been a great player for us and has been remunerated well with a healthy sum still due to him next year at age 32. We need to retain a number of young guns long term. If North offer him what we can't and he chooses to go there for a couple of years, then so be it. He is a mature and level headed guy who has handled the ups and downs of this year very calmly. I actually wouldn't want to see him ending up like Ryan O'Keefe in his last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker has been a great player for us and has been remunerated well with a healthy sum still due to him next year at age 32. We need to retain a number of young guns long term. If North offer him what we can't and he chooses to go there for a couple of years, then so be it. He is a mature and level headed guy who has handled the ups and downs of this year very calmly. I actually wouldn't want to see him ending up like Ryan O'Keefe in his last year.
I never said that he shouldn't go if he gets more money if that wasn't obvious enough. But he won't get into that midfield for any more of a role than he has at Sydney. The midfield is the one position that North has down pat literally the only position on the field they are good at.

Looking forward to this thread in a few weeks time when he turns back the clock and becomes a dual premiership player.

Then we have all off-season to discuss which one of the five clubs interested in him he will go to.

Looking forward to this thread in a few weeks time when he turns back the clock and becomes a dual premiership player.

Then we have all off-season to discuss which one of the five clubs interested in him he will go to.
18 touches 2 goals and 6 tackles should do the trick

I give up. May as well talk to the hand.
Strange response. I was actually trying to be diplomatic as we seemed to be saying the same thing from two opposing angles.

But I suppose I get to say you being childish is entirely your fault. ;)

Only time I noticed Parker on the weekend was when he was robbed of a clear mark.

Other than that he was fairly quiet. He’s always been a solid finals player but shaded by the likes of Kennedy. He did go missing in the 14, 16 and 22 grand finals but he had a few teammates.

Strange response. I was actually trying to be diplomatic as we seemed to be saying the same thing from two opposing angles.

But I suppose I get to say you being childish is entirely your fault. ;)
I take full responsibility for calling you a dill, or maybe just a troll. My response is all mine.

I take full responsibility for calling you a dill, or maybe just a troll. My response is all mine.

I find it strange that holding an opposing opinion (although in this case we both seem to be saying that both parties have their part to play in an interaction so not really opposing?) is considered a troll. Bit of a sad worldview to have.

But hey, only one of us is getting personal here.

But then I'd say the person using a five year old's expression like 'talk to the hand' is the one being childish..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back