Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not get that read from that.

I could be wrong but the takeaway I got was that North want him but not enough to part with anything more than pick 62 and that their interest in Daniel may be a contributing factor for wanting to hold on to as many picks as possible.

I also just think they are within their right to look at this as a deal they should not have to bend over for - Parker played 7 full games this season and was average in four of them. More power to them if they want to be ruthless and exploit that. We would want our club to do the same.
If thats the case then Luke really should be greatful if he doesn't end up there. They offered the world but they're turning their back because they can't score a bargain. Either way you look at it they don't care much for Luke.

Surely nobody worth their salt would commit money to one thing before being certain they had it.
I think it happens more than you’d imagine. Every club is trying to plan not just for this season and next but also two, three or four seasons in the future.

Some clubs typically do that well, others less so. Plus sometimes things just come out of left field that screw up the best laid plans up.

If thats the case then Luke really should be greatful if he doesn't end up there. They offered the world but they're turning their back because they can't score a bargain. Either way you look at it they don't care much for Luke.
Whilst that is true, they also don't have to care for Parker. He is just 'opposition player' to them right now, as opposed to 'beloved veteran' with us.

Us taking the exact same ruthless stance at the expense of his wishes and future would arguably be even more careless to Parker's best interests than North doing it, because of that history.

I think unless both clubs can reach a middle ground, Parker might be feeling a little undervalued by no matter which he club he is signed with next year. But it is also a business.

Whilst that is true, they also don't have to care for Parker. He is just 'opposition player' to them right now, as opposed to 'beloved veteran' with us.

Us taking the exact same ruthless stance at the expense of his wishes and future would arguably be even more careless to Parker's best interests than North doing it, because of that history.

I think unless both clubs can reach a middle ground, Parker might be feeling a little undervalued by no matter which he club he is signed with next year. But it is also a business.
What middle ground? Sounds like North just said yeah, nah to 25, and walked away thinking we’d go crawling back and grovel for 62!

I think it happens more than you’d imagine. Every club is trying to plan not just for this season and next but also two, three or four seasons in the future.

Some clubs typically do that well, others less so. Plus sometimes things just come out of left field that screw up the best laid plans up.
I guess we will have a better idea about this, this time tomorrow.

HSun:

ROOS' BOLD PARKER PLOY AS DOG STILL A CHANCE TO MOVE

North Melbourne will rely on Sydney treating 293-game premiership player Luke Parker with some dignity as he departs the club as it tries to strike a fair deal to bring him to Arden Street.
North Melbourne continues to be frustrated by the Swans’ demands for Parker, who has told the Swans he is determined to move to North Melbourne on a multi-year deal.

The Roos had offered pick 62 but the Swans have demanded a second-rounder instead for a player who was forced into the VFL for four games this year as coach John Longmire made him endure tough love after a broken arm.

Parker, 32 later this month, was one of the Swans’ few good players in the Grand Final with the Swans adamant they will secure a quality pick for the stalwart.
But the Roos believe Sydney will eventually allow Parker to be traded to Arden Street for a responsible price given it is the least he should expect after 14 faultless seasons at the Swans.
North Melbourne has picks two, 25, 44 and 62 and is still keen to secure Western Bulldogs deputy vice captain Caleb Daniel on the last day of the trade period.

The Roos believe he has not been given a promise that he will be a regular in the senior team next year after seven roles as the sub and eight VFL games but the Dogs are not promising to release him.
North Melbourne’s list boss Brady Rawlings is prepared to use the club’s No.25 draft pick in some form to pick up the contracted Daniel.
The Roos would expect a later pick back from the Dogs but at this stage that deal will also go down to the wire.
Guessing a North fan wrote this, ridiculous.

I’m just hypothesising. I obviously don’t have any knowledge of players’ contracts and neither do you.
Weird response when you're the one who stated it as though it's fact.

I may not have knowledge of player contracts but certainly have knowledge that our club has been well run for decades and it's highly unlikely that the scenario you're proposing is accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird response when you're the one who stated it as though it's fact.

I may not have knowledge of player contracts but certainly have knowledge that our club has been well run for decades and it's highly unlikely that the scenario you're proposing is accurate.
Sorry, next time I’ll add a disclaimer acknowledging I don’t have access to confidential information.

Edit: why is it “highly unlikely”? The club had to re-sign multiple players this season. Why is it so unlikely that they may have needed to pay more than they had planned and so had to make savings elsewhere? That is not particularly unusual for clubs.

Feel free to suggest a different answer to @Jewelsbon’s original question given you disagree.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would we need Parkers money off the books if we are not trading anyone in?
I know that some on here have said that it's to pay Warner, but wouldn't any extra needed to pay Warner come into season 2026 budget when Parkers pay will be off the books anyway?
What am I missing?
We can offer Warner (or any other contracted player) a deal starting round 1 2025 if we have the cap space to do so.

E.g. If Warner is on 500k next year and we have 800k cap space because Parker leaves in the off season, we can offer him 1.3mil next year if he agrees to sign an extension.

We can offer Warner (or any other contracted player) a deal starting round 1 2025 if we have the cap space to do so.

E.g. If Warner is on 500k next year and we have 800k cap space because Parker leaves in the off season, we can offer him 1.3mil next year if he agrees to sign an extension.
This is true.

But isn’t it simpler still? My understanding is that the cap is not for a single year but rolls across multiple - so if you are under one year, you can be that much over the following year (from memory over a 3-4 year period)?

So if we save money of Parker’s contract next year, that can go to contracts in 2026, such as a Warner extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back