Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just found out that boomer sells vending machines as his part time job. I wanna if he can reach the top to fill the food, lol

Being the canny little bloke that he is I imagine he leaves the reaching high to others, including when slotting in the coins, while he hovers down low where the goodies appear.

I'll only start to wonder if he is not going to go around again if he has a career ending injury or he is the permanent sub and not having much impact.

We are yet to even get into the sub phase of his career and I am confident he can play that role for 2 or 3 years.

Anyone see the Friday football nostalgia match? NM v Hawthorn 1997. Showed the last qtr where a young Boomer gave a free away against #28 for Hawthorn (who booted it forward for Dunstall to kick a goal). The same #28 for Hawthorn then featured, minutes later in failing to stop a Fruity mark and goal to win the game.

#28 for Hawthorn? A very young B.Scott.

Pleasantly surprised about Narni. Thought he might test his worth on the open market. Good to hear we only gave him a one year deal too, been handing out way too many 2+ year deals recently.

Pleasantly surprised about Narni. Thought he might test his worth on the open market. Good to hear we only gave him a one year deal too, been handing out way too many 2+ year deals recently.

100% agree with that. All for backing players in, but at the same time we have been far too generous at times.

In terms of Narni and Boomer though, excellent result :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#29 Brent Harvey

HARVEY%20Brent.png

Summary
It was always going to be a tough 2013 for Harvey following the Elimination Final against West Coast last year, suffering a six-match suspension which would force him to have to wait until Round 7 to grace the field in his 18th year of football. Supporters watching the team squander chances and lose to top two sides Geelong and Hawthorn in the opening month of the season by both under a goal made the absence of Boomer felt even more. Harvey finally returned to the side against the Western Bulldogs, and in Round 10 against St Kilda he played his 350th game, where he was close to best on ground, amassing 23 disposals, taking five marks and booting 4.4.

Harvey experienced a purple-patch of form heading into the second half of the year, obviously using the relatively fresh legs he had in comparison to the rest of the competition. Against Richmond in Round 15, Harvey picked up 27 possessions, taking four marks, laying five tackles and kicking two goals. Against Geelong in Round 19, Boomer was best on ground with a massive 37 touches and five tackles, indicating that he would be going around again in 2014. At the age of 35 (second oldest in the AFL), his numbers from his 16 games were remarkable. He averaged 24.1 touches, 4.7 marks, 2.7 tackles and he booted 19 goals, polling nine Brownlow Medal votes. Harvey was awarded a one-year contract on the eve of the season finale against Collingwood, another game in which he was close to best afield, meaning he is a chance to finish next year on a total of 387 games. And that is without utilising the substitute option, which could see Harvey play on for at least another two seasons following next year.

Quote:Veteran forward Brent Harvey says he can’t help but dream about the Kangaroos’ playing finals football.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-08-27/h...till-alive

Quote:It has become an annual event at North Melbourne in recent times; the announcement of a one-year contract extension for Brent Harvey. However the excitement and sense of wonderment surrounding the career of Kangaroo champion never ceases and will only increase as he closes in on the amazing 400-game milestone.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-08-23/b...l-continue

456341-130603-brent-harvey.jpg

292885-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

286461-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

brent-harvey.jpg

brilliant player - thought his season was very good tbh and far exceeded even the best hopes for him...

Just goes after the ball at every single opportunity and brings so many players into the game.

a terrific champion

He is 36 in May.

He is on 362 games currently which means

2 uninterrupted seasons from 400
3 uninterrupted seasons from 426

Craig Bradley played until he was 39 and even then considered playing on because of the strife Carlton were in.

If Boomer played till he was 39 that would be 4 seasons, he would sit outright top of most games played ever.

There are those that will say that there is no sentiment in footy. I am fine with you having that opinion. Boomer carried North with those little legs of his for so long we as a club owe him the right to be able to call time.

If it means we manage his load through the use of the sub. If it means he periodically has some time on the sidelines to aid recovery so be it.

My thoughts are, be it 2 years, be it 4, be it 6, we manage how he goes until he can go no more.

If we are in the cusp of something special, no one deserves it more than he does.

Really dunno.

Once Father Time gets you in his sights it can all come crashing down pretty quickly, however it appears that because Boomer is so small that he has been missed. His old man is still playing cricket into his 60's so the genes are pretty good. As long as his legs can carry him over the ground at an acceptable pace and with acceptable agility, and he ain't popping muscles, he can keep on playing as far as I am concerned. His ability to think his way though a situation and to use the ball dangerously is just too good to move on from too early.

It is all down to Boomer I'd say. I'd be "shocked and appalled" if we pushed him out. So long as he maintains his passion for the game, there is no reason he couldn't go on another 3 years and break Tuck's record.

If his pace holds out I would happily carry him for a year as the sub playing one full week in every 3.

Using Boomer as a sub in his late 30's is not an insult if we are going to get another 20 games out of him.

He is a champion of the club and when he does retire will be put in the HOF as soon as he can be. If he plays more than anyone else I reckon he would have a real chance of being listed as a legend of the game when his time rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back