Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If his pace holds out I would happily carry him for a year as the sub playing one full week in every 3.

Using Boomer as a sub in his late 30's is not an insult if we are going to get another 20 games out of him.

He is a champion of the club and when he does retire will be put in the HOF as soon as he can be. If he plays more than anyone else I reckon he would have a real chance of being listed as a legend of the game when his time rolls around.

Absolutely. Even if he/the club decide his body can only handle 2 more full seasons, he should get at least 1 more as the super sub of the century

If his pace holds out I would happily carry him for a year as the sub playing one full week in every 3.

Using Boomer as a sub in his late 30's is not an insult if we are going to get another 20 games out of him.

He is a champion of the club and when he does retire will be put in the HOF as soon as he can be. If he plays more than anyone else I reckon he would have a real chance of being listed as a legend of the game when his time rolls around.
Mate, if he can keep going at his current level for another 3 years he can play every game, starting on the ground, as far as I'm concerned. The time will come where management will become a serious discussion. Hopefully it is a long way down the track though.

Mate, if he can keep going at his current level for another 3 years he can play every game, starting on the ground, as far as I'm concerned. The time will come where management will become a serious discussion. Hopefully it is a long way down the track though.

Indeed.

I am happy to have him play as long as he possibly can and then for us to manage him for as long as we can.

3 years playing full games
2-3 years playing mixed roles including sub with extra recovery time.

As long as he can go on he should go on.

When he does eventually hang them up none of this letting him go to another club bullshit either. Boomer stays.

He's not even close to finished imo, all this 1 more year stuff is crap imo.

He would need 2 bad years in a row to retire imo. He's not just going to cut it at the end of next year because of a lack of form (But he's incredibly consistent), a bad injury on the other hand.........

We are talking about a bloke that averaged 24 disposals and 1.2 goals a game this season.

The mind boggling thing is, he may get back to his best, at 36, purely because of the developing strength of the midfield. He will have the least amount of attention laid upon him in about 10 years, and it's a dangerous prospect to "have" to let Brent Harvey run amok, because Dal Santo and Wells are the other options.

Will definitively make 400 games imo, and I'd give you $5 odds of breaking Tucks record, freak of an athlete.

If he can avoid injury and maintain best-22 form this year, I see no reason he couldn't continue to contribute in 2015, even if that means he comes on as the sub.

Hopefully for a long time yet. Just don't want to think about having to send him off, Not sure how I'd cope tbh. You think of north and he is one of the first names that come to mind, has been there though thick and thin and i really hope we can send him out as at least a 2 x Premiership player.

Doesn't look anywhere near done. You could argue 2013 was one of his best years in a while. Still an elite player IMO. One of the most damaging of all time.

I'm tipping him to have a huge year in 2014. Pencil him in for 20+ touches a game and 30+ goals for the year.

I reckon he'd still be a gun if he lost a yard too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play next year on the ground half forward/ rotating through midfield

2015 more of a sub role, starting on in some games to keep his match fitness.

then take it from there.

Personally Hope 2-3 years.

Doesn't look anywhere near done. You could argue 2013 was one of his best years in a while. Still an elite player IMO. One of the most damaging of all time.

I'm tipping him to have a huge year in 2014. Pencil him in for 20+ touches a game and 30+ goals for the year.

I reckon he'd still be a gun if he lost a yard too.

Even if he lost a yard of pace, he could still play as a permanent small forward for a year.

One comfortably.
Two almost certain.
Third with aid of sub rule.

Look at how immensely shit Flecther was this year, still a full season from 400 and yet they still kept him around for sentimental reasons. I wouldn't like to think we ever did it just to get Harvey to 400.

Here's the thing tho, all shit side and this isn't a slur against him, but I'd bet the farm on Harvey thinking that playing 400 is something he wants to achieve. He'll be burning for it.

Don't see why he can't play another 3-4. Look what he did to Geelong! He absolutely blitzed them!
At his level he could easily play 2 in the midfield, 2 as a small forward (problem solved. I still think if he moved to the forward line he'd be the best small forward in the league), and one as a sub.

Fingers crossed because the day he retires will feel like the end of the world. I remember thinking Brad Johnson could play forever but his body broke down...here's hoping Boomer entertains us for many more years to come

He is 36 in May.

He is on 362 games currently which means

2 uninterrupted seasons from 400
3 uninterrupted seasons from 426

Craig Bradley played until he was 39 and even then considered playing on because of the strife Carlton were in.

If Boomer played till he was 39 that would be 4 seasons, he would sit outright top of most games played ever.

There are those that will say that there is no sentiment in footy. I am fine with you having that opinion. Boomer carried North with those little legs of his for so long we as a club owe him the right to be able to call time.

If it means we manage his load through the use of the sub. If it means he periodically has some time on the sidelines to aid recovery so be it.

My thoughts are, be it 2 years, be it 4, be it 6, we manage how he goes until he can go no more.

If we are in the cusp of something special, no one deserves it more than he does.
Man, the way Boomer is going we could see Father/Son in the same team! How old is Cooper?

Whenever the end comes i just hope his last game is a winning Premiership game , Boomer at 36 is very different to most others at the same age . Tom Hafey is a prime example at 82 , hard work pays off .

Whenever the end comes i just hope his last game is a winning Premiership game , Boomer at 36 is very different to most others at the same age . Tom Hafey is a prime example at 82 , hard work pays off .

What are the chances we'll see a 132 year old Boomer Harvey doing Swisse commercials in 99 years time?

He's not even close to finished imo, all this 1 more year stuff is crap imo.

He would need 2 bad years in a row to retire imo. He's not just going to cut it at the end of next year because of a lack of form (But he's incredibly consistent), a bad injury on the other hand.........

We are talking about a bloke that averaged 24 disposals and 1.2 goals a game this season.

The mind boggling thing is, he may get back to his best, at 36, purely because of the developing strength of the midfield. He will have the least amount of attention laid upon him in about 10 years, and it's a dangerous prospect to "have" to let Brent Harvey run amok, because Dal Santo and Wells are the other options.

Will definitively make 400 games imo, and I'd give you $5 odds of breaking Tucks record, freak of an athlete.

When Pykie talks about footy you can't help to get excited and inspired.

You should be the next signing for our club.

On boomer he is playing such great footy that is on par with anyone at our club.
It's up to him when to retire....... if we jag a flag he might want to go out on a high.
Only thing is he might find it hard to retire if his form wanes.

Love boomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back