Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More a discussion about the challenges of the caper with Ramanaskus and how he wanted to play again the Monday afterthe loss to Hawthorn. Discussed changes in professionalism, training, about the need to be a "competitive beast" to perform at this level. Also spruiked getting past players into the club as much as possible and about buliding a culture at North like the 90's where we just hated losing. Talked about players like Ablett and the rough deal he gets from the media. That was only a small part of it really, just a general discussion that was pretty darn interesting.

Didn't hear that, just a bit of his commentary work during the Port-Dogs game. Chuckles all round when he said Schulz was better staying home inside 50 - and Boomer was only sorry he hadn't spent more time drifting up the wing when we played them. Couldn't help raising my eyebrows when he was asked which of the Dogs midfielders demanded the most attention and he answered Griffin, explaining why he hurt you more than Boyd, when I thought the correct answer was "don't ask me, we got smacked by them all".

The way our players were getting stuck into the kid tagging Boomer, giving him a whack every time he went past... I only hope these blokes pay the same attention to that blonde, cross-eyed, banjo freak from StKilda when we meet them.

Haha. If there's a more fitting description of Clint Jones I'm yet to read it. Genuine lols. :thumbsu:

Thanks TBH. If our current crop of kiddies coming through had the support Boomer had around him back when he was a pre-school looking talented kid debuting, we'd be a hell of a lot better off. I'm rapt he's around to not only impart his knowledge of what it means to be a professional footballer, but to demonstrate it first hand.

I don't see why he should retire just because everyone else is too pathetic to either step up or support him.

It's a woeful reflection on our team that we sit here stroking our beards, trying to think of another way of winning when a 34 year old cops a tag.

He was correct, what, two years ago, when he said it was time for some of the others to step up for once.

Bad enough Boomer has to still contend with being the most tagged in our side after a decade - on top of this, flogs from all angles are saying his time is up as well.

If his team-mates weren't pea hearts and incapable of showing any fight or spirit, perhaps Boomer (who actually tries to make something happen) wouldn't stand out so much.

If he has to retire, 25 others have to be delisted. Fair is fair.

25 players delisted?? Now your talking crazy Dupree. Whats the actual costing of drafting a player to a club (on average)? Someone here would have them I´m sure.

The worlds not fair dupree, the facts are what they are, boomer is still quite a damaging player when given a loose reign but the more experienced coaches wont allow that and boomer with age working against him is now is showing signs of struggling. If our side was prospering this year and actually showing themselves to the footy world that we´re a final 8 prospect sure let Boomer play but this would actually happen because our younger mids were playing beyond their experience levels and the focus would have shifted away from Boomer, but it hasnt and he cops the hard tag.
Yes its unfair but thats the cold hard facts of reality mate, if you wish to call me a flog for stating the obvious fair enough. Hows does it go? sticks and stones.....?

25 players delisted?? Now your talking crazy Dupree. Whats the actual costing of drafting a player to a club (on average)? Someone here would have them I´m sure.

The worlds not fair dupree, the facts are what they are, boomer is still quite a damaging player when given a loose reign but the more experienced coaches wont allow that and boomer with age working against him is now is showing signs of struggling. If our side was prospering this year and actually showing themselves to the footy world that we´re a final 8 prospect sure let Boomer play but this would actually happen because our younger mids were playing beyond their experience levels and the focus would have shifted away from Boomer, but it hasnt and he cops the hard tag.
Yes its unfair but thats the cold hard facts of reality mate, if you wish to call me a flog for stating the obvious fair enough. Hows does it go? sticks and stones.....?

But it's not reality. He needs support, and that's what it comes down to.

Put him in Collingwoods' midfield, and he'd do a lot of damage every week.

I just don't see how it improves anything to remove the player nominated by every single team we play as the one to tag. He might be slowing, but he is still, you know, the one to tag.

If there was someone in the 2's doing everything to overtake him, by all means, forward pocket or sub. But he's never dealt well with a tag and it's not because of age. He just needs support.

Sadly I don't see it happening either, so he'll play his last few years eclipsed out of the game surrounded by a bunch of kids who have been gifted games and don't give a ****.

I just don't see how it improves anything to remove the player nominated by every single team we play as the one to tag. He might be slowing, but he is still, you know, the one to tag.

Most Damaging player takes tagger and struggles.

<Insert thinking dinosaur.gif>

Get rid of!! 2nd most damaging player now takes tagger and struggles.

Lol, best I can do from the iPhone.

But it's not reality. He needs support, and that's what it comes down to.

Put him in Collingwoods' midfield, and he'd do a lot of damage every week.#1

I just don't see how it improves anything to remove the player nominated by every single team we play as the one to tag. He might be slowing, but he is still, you know, the one to tag.#2

If there was someone in the 2's doing everything to overtake him, by all means, forward pocket or sub. But he's never dealt well with a tag and it's not because of age. He just needs support.

Sadly I don't see it happening either, so he'll play his last few years eclipsed out of the game surrounded by a bunch of kids who have been gifted games and don't give a ****#3.

#1 Agree, but he´s at Nth not Collingwood and like I said his "better games" this year are significantly less than his substandard ones and his defensive work off the ball is almost non existent. The coaching staff expect a certain amount of work/input throughout game if Boomer is struggling during one of the "substandard games" there´s nothing stopping him on laying tackles and focus on negating one of the opposition main ball winners but he doesnt even do that and dont tell me if youre one of the younger brigade trying to establish yourself into the team and you see that from a legend of the club dont tell me it wouldnt be frustrating and have a subconscious effect on those younger players. He is expected to do his share off the ball just the same as a 1st gamer.
#2 If he steps down it allows a fringe player to get games earlier, we aren't a flag threat now and wont win one with boomer in the side so its time to graciously bow out, again I´m favouring him as a super sub I think he´ll be perfect for this position in our team now.
#3 Sad but true thats the hard cold reality :(

He just needs to be used better. If he's getting beaten in the middle, head forward and play from the goalsquare. If we ain't getting the ball (ie getting smashed in the middle) then he should play deep in the backline and take the kickouts. He shouldn't even have to wait for Bon to tell him to do this.

Oh and some more of the famous Levi, Cunners and Ziebell 'blocking' wouldn't go astray either.

Ozzy I think Boomer as Forward pocket with license to roam around half fwd would still be a decent footballer.Sure he isn't the greatest defensive player, but gee we need some 'polish' can't just have all 'boot'. And opposition sides can ignore him at their own peril.

And yes draft as many fast youngsters as we can, I won't complain

I think that playing Boomer more often in this role makes good sense.

Would be hard for the opposition to tag him there, or at least hard to to assign their main tagger to him. Boomer is one of the smartest readers of the play going around and with his skills on the run to convert, might prove to be a very dangerous crumbing small forward.

As he is a much more reliable shot for goal, I would actually swap him and LT as the main crumbing forwards, with LT used further up the ground more in a midfielder role, changing with Boomer from time to time to allow quick bursts in the midfield from Boomer.

But what would I know?

Someone has been in his ear.

He may not have played his best game yesterday, but he is starting to do the team things and not focusing 100% on himself.

Boomer of old (especially under a hard tag where he gets frustrated) does not do this:

And Boomer of old would never handball without expecting the one, two back.

He's doing the team things and bringing the younger blokes into it, it's this that will ensure Boomer plays on past this year - not the 30 odd and 2 goals we are use to seeing from him.

Totally agree Pez, I posted something very similar in another thread today. He is a Nth legend but when age/time is on the wrong side of the scale he is just another player in the team and his output is judged by the kids looking up to him. If the opposition coach wishes to put his best tagger on Harvs :- no problem as long as he does the team things when he isnt damaging them on the scoreboard. He has to face reality and change his role in the team, he could play the annoying little player that gets under the oppositions skin and still be affective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll stick my hand up and say I shot a few sarcastic comments his way a little while back. I place a lot of importance on defensive efforts and value the positive message they send to teammates, and I thought this aspect had clearly dropped off in his game. Granted, I'm not one to stick the boots in hard, and I'm very glad he's turned that glitch around, but on the balance of things I probably should have just pulled my head in.

Anyways, as great as the chase-down was, as sublime as his goal on the run was, one of the most pleasing things I noticed on the replay was him standing alone in the foreground and raising his fist in triumph as Wellsy's shot for goal in the last Quarter sailed through. The man's love for this club is as strong as anyone's. We're very lucky to have him, and the title of "legend" is thoroughly deserved.

I'll stick my hand up and say I shot a few sarcastic comments his way a little while back. I place a lot of importance on defensive efforts and value the positive message they send to teammates, and I thought this aspect had clearly dropped off in his game. Granted, I'm not one to stick the boots in hard, and I'm very glad he's turned that glitch around, but on the balance of things I probably should have just pulled my head in.

Anyways, as great as the chase-down was, as sublime as his goal on the run was, one of the most pleasing things I noticed on the replay was him standing alone in the foreground and raising his fist in triumph as Wellsy's shot for goal in the last Quarter sailed through. The man's love for this club is as strong as anyone's. We're very lucky to have him, and the title of "legend" is thoroughly deserved.

You're not the only one. He's had his fair share of critics, especially this year, myself included.

I honestly think Boomer does have a couple years left in him. Once it gets to the point where he cannot play as far up the ground anymore, I think he'd be elite as the forward pocket/flank option for at least 2 more seasons. Even for his last, I think he'd be very effective, in and out of the side as a playing coach simialar to the roll of Mcdonald from GWS and Miller from Richmond.

What a difference it makes when all players play as a team. When you have Harvey chasing down tackles, Anthony throwing himself into a 3 on 1 contest and killing it dead and Firrito throwing his weight around it just lifts the younger blokes.

Harvey is a legend of the club no doubt and his willingness to now do the team things is a major boost to the team psyche.

Despite breaking their hearts with that dummy around Gilbert & the subsequent goal? Yeah, if my team had've got wrecked as badly as the Saints did on the weekend, I'd need something so trivial like Harvey supposedly being "Dempstered" to hang onto as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back