Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone has had some feeling that he’d leave at some stage, especially since he and his partner became parents

I think we’re extremely lucky he Extended in Dec2022, before dimma ****ed off and the CFL ripped the club apart

If Eagles came to us and said Harley Reid wants to return to Victoria, we want something really good for him.

Say they proposed Bolton and Richmond's pick 2 for Reid and Eagles pick 23.

Are we doing that?
I'd give them Bolton and Baker for Reid. Keep pick 2.

If Eagles came to us and said Harley Reid wants to return to Victoria, we want something really good for him.

Are we doing that?
This is really on West Coast to investigate what Reid's intentions are. If it comes to light that he wants back to Vic after year 3 let him know he can be back in Vic after year 1 but to a club of WCE choice (Richmond).

This is really on West Coast to investigate what Reid's intentions are. If it comes to light that he wants back to Vic after year 3 let him know he can be back in Vic after year 1 but to a club of WCE choice (Richmond).
if harley is smart he will seek out the trade himself 👌🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs always back themselves to keep players and usually after 3 years
They wont be losing any value from reid after 3 years so no point letting him go

If i was the eagles i would be doing everything possible to keep him but just keep him away from Daniel Chick and the crew

I just can't see Reid staying there long term.

He'd get paid millions to come home + get all the brand deals etc.

If he came to us we'd put the 4 on his back and he'd be set for life.

Clubs always back themselves to keep players and usually after 3 years
They wont be losing any value from reid after 3 years so no point letting him go

If i was the eagles i would be doing everything possible to keep him but just keep him away from Daniel Chick and the crew

I don't have much to support this thought, but I am wondering if Eagles and Reid knew from before he was drafted that he was likely to want to come back to Victoria. But Eagles in this scenario could have said to him we think you are the best player in the draft by miles, you do all you can for us, we will do all we can for you. If anything along these lines was true, then Richmond this year could present the first huge chance for the Eagles to cash in on Reid by getting something worth way more than pick 1(which Reid is worth, ie way more than pick 1) in return. Possibly 25yo superstar Bolton, plus potentially pick 2. Whereas if they knew Reid was likely to leave and said ok we won't draft him, they just get the 2023 pick 2. This way they get that plus Bolton, and maybe they need to give something back, like pick 23 and perhaps their 2025 rd 2 pick.

As I said, based on nothing, just drawing a few threads together and wondering out loud if something like this is possible.

I don't have much to support this thought, but I am wondering if Eagles and Reid knew from before he was drafted that he was likely to want to come back to Victoria. But Eagles in this scenario could have said to him we think you are the best player in the draft by miles, you do all you can for us, we will do all we can for you. If anything along these lines was true, then Richmond this year could present the first huge chance for the Eagles to cash in on Reid by getting something worth way more than pick 1(which Reid is worth, ie way more than pick 1) in return. Possibly 25yo superstar Bolton, plus potentially pick 2. Whereas if they knew Reid was likely to leave and said ok we won't draft him, they just get the 2023 pick 2. This way they get that plus Bolton, and maybe they need to give something back, like pick 23 and perhaps their 2025 rd 2 pick.

As I said, based on nothing, just drawing a few threads together and wondering out loud if something like this is possible.
wood do that in a heart beat!!

Are we doing that?
Yes

West Coast were willing to trade pick 1 last year for North's pick 2 & 3 and North didnt want to do it. In hindsight does anyone here think West Coast would want that now?

The only chance of getting Reid is if he wanted to come home and he chose us as his club of choice. With where we sit atm, we would be the last of the big clubs he would be choosing. Its why Bomber fans are so keen, they still have a huge salary cap remaining and there is no chance whatsoever West Coast would let Reid walk into a preseason draft and risk losing him for nothing.

Reid to Richmond would be a miracle, more chance winning powerball.

West Coast were willing to trade pick 1 last year for North's pick 2 & 3 and North didnt want to do it. In hindsight does anyone here think West Coast would want that now?

The only chance of getting Reid is if he wanted to come home and he chose us as his club of choice. With where we sit atm, we would be the last of the big clubs he would be choosing. Its why Bomber fans are so keen, they still have a huge salary cap remaining and there is no chance whatsoever West Coast would let Reid walk into a preseason draft and risk losing him for nothing.

Reid to Richmond would be a miracle, more chance winning powerball.

Well, all speculation of course. But let's say Reid did want to come back to Victoria. Every club would clearly want him, but who might he want to go to most?

The answer to that question you would have to think would be most likely in no order, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond. Then there are probably 3 other clubs who may have some genuine appeal but maybe not as much as the big 4. Melbourne, Hawthorn, Geelong.

So the first thing is clubs would need to be able to offer some huge contract, possibly as much as $1.6-1.8m or even more for 10 years or even more.

Carlton can't do that without losing valuable prime aged players, their cap would have to be bursting already. So I think we can put a line through the Blues.

Collingwood will have Moore, DeGoey, Nick Daicos already on big long term deals, but I am guessing they have just signed Nick Daycare on $1m pa long term. If Reid came in on say $1.6 it might upset their apple cart a bit. They also have a very old list and Reid may want to avoid getting involved with a club in that situation.

So of the big 4 it would leave us and Bombers. With some potential for say Hawks, Cats or Demons to try to lure him.

The issue is Eagles have him contracted for 3 years, so there is no PSD option at this point, if he were to move this year, it has to be a trade. Both Tigers and Bombers could satisfy his contractual demands you would think, but what are Bombers going to offer the Eagles to satisfy them? We could for arguments sake offer Bolton, a 25yo West Aus born superstar, potentially pick 2 or a likely high future rd 1. And also we have players like WA born Baker possibly in the mix. What can Essendon offer the Eagles? 2 late first rounders and a second rounder and/or average to decent players at best.

Then do the same exercise for Hawks, Demons, Cats. Who is going to get close to satisfying the Eagles as well as we could? They simply don't have either a top 2 pick or a Shai Bolton they could consider trading.

So in the probably unlikely scenario Harley Reid was traded back to Victoria this year, as far as I can see, Richmond Football Club would be in pole position to satisfy all parties.

This just feels like freo kicking tyres, given they are ready to take the next step and have the picks to trade but no one locked in.

Pretty confident Bolton doesn't want to leave, his partner is from melbourne and they have a kid. There isn't really a go home factor and if you listen to his speech at last years BnF he seems to very settled. In the event he leaves given he is contracted until 2028 we will get way overs

I just can't see Reid staying there long term.

He'd get paid millions to come home + get all the brand deals etc.

If he came to us we'd put the 4 on his back and he'd be set for life.

we want to hit the draft as hard as we can prior to Reid heading back and make sure we have something later to offer up to the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back