Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only melting and over reactions are from those sticking up for Wil.
just plain as day not correct, but you do have that option of being wrong on this as well

This. There's a reason our centre clearances were s**t tonnes better and LDU could strut his stuff.

Could have something to do with how crap the Saints were as well. I wanted him in for someone to present in the stoppages and he did do that. But how effective he is is my main concern. He fumbles a lot, his handballing is very average, he is easily caught and pushed off the ball. He has a low centre of gravity and is not some skinny kid. He will get better but I am not sure he is the gun everyone keeps saying, he just hasn''t shown it. He is a generic, slow average skilled mid right now. I hope a pre season turns into something different but haven't seen it yet.

This. I wouldn't be nearly as hard on him if we didn't spend a #3 draft pick. So wasteful.
Understand your frustration given our team performances, but its kind of like hiring a gun cleaner because your house is a tip and then blaming them because you live in a shithole and it's still essentially a shithole.

I thought he was incredible around the stoppages. I said in the other thread but he needs to build elite cardio to dominate around the ground and make his opponent work, especially because he's not quick. But if he can build that then he will be a really great player.

Without his defensive effort the likes of LDU and Thomas (when in the middle) wouldn’t be able to play freely. Game high 11 tackles and 25 pressure acts were the reason we got back into the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to be proven wrong, we need quality footballers to get us off the arse end of the ladder.

Today was a good day we were in the game for four quarters. .

I do feel there's a reason we were in the game for four quarters and its because of LDU and TT... And the reason they were able to do what they did was because Phillips is a genuinely good centre square midfielder who understands where to stand and where to move and how to block for his teammates. It is night and day to us having to play blokes like Tucker and Zurhaar and Curtis in there who are just forwards and wingmen doing it part time.

If LDU can have 33 and 11 clearances and TT can have 20-odd and kick 3, and do their best to win us games that will contribute to us being dragged out of the doldrums, I'm willing to wager that the main reason they can stand out and show their true swagger is because Phillips is doing the in and under, clearing space for them, doing the stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet

He's not a world beater now. He's a kid making his way. He still hasn't played 50 games. But he's helping to make other blokes look like world beaters and that is a win for me for a 21yo kid

I dare anyone one here to look at ldu's numbers at the 25-30 game mark of his career. People expecting instant impact of that kind of player are just plain delusional. He may never be an out and out gun but he is tracking better than ldu at the same point of their respective careers. I'm definitely ok with that

What a polarising player

All the talk of fumbling reminds me of Joel "the fumble king" Corey. He was a great player but not in geelongs top few of that midfield when it came to style points. Ask any Geelong fans opinion on Corey and opinions will be equally polarising probably.

What a polarising player

All the talk of fumbling reminds me of Joel "the fumble king" Corey. He was a great player but not in geelongs top few of that midfield when it came to style points. Ask any Geelong fans opinion on Corey and opinions will be equally polarising probably.

Interesting take. Joel Corey was 191cm, 92kg, elite overhead and could play mid, wing, spare def or true defender and had power and penetration with his foot...

Think there may be too much nuance around Phillips to make for a normal conversation.

Is he ever going to be at the level of what you traditionally expect from a number three pick? No (imo)
Is that counterbalanced by a lot of the top end in that draft looking average so far? Somewhat (imo)
Will he be a match winner in the way you expect from someone inside the top three of a draft? No
Do you know he'll get the most out of himself as long as he stays healthy? 100%
Can he be a impactful player if played in a role that accentuates his strength? 100% (in time)
Does a relatively one-dimensional role potentially limit the ceiling of a midfield setup? Million dollar question

So many moving parts to it, it's no surprise conversation gets heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back