Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never said that so now you’re putting words into my mouth.

Cunnington was a slow burn before he cemented his spot in the seniors, and what else do they both have in common?

Not visually quick
Their play styles- the ability to create space for others when they have the ball.
Clean hands

I don’t understand what you get out of continuously shitting on a bloke because he has been a bit of a slow burn to start his footy career.
Slow burn? More like Glacial burn

A lot of talk of Will becoming a tagger. Can't see this working unless he can improve his tank. I only watched the second quarter of the game on the weekend, but Will certainly wasn't tagging anyone then. He had a weird role that I couldn't understand. He rarely stood next to anyone at stoppages and was often standing by himself five or ten metres on the attacking side of the contest.

This. Greenwood had the tagging role in the first half from what I saw. Will had a monster third quarter in a tagging role and then early in the fourth wasn't tight enough on their gun and he got put out into an odd wing role.

How is the scrutiny on a bloke half in here think is a battler.

Time to just allow whatever he or the club had him doing to evolve.

It’s crazy this is the busiest thread in here.

I’m not giving this any more air time from here til the end of the season, but y’all are crazy man.

Analysing in depth every game he is playing then determining there’s a master plan from each performance.

Let the kid play.

Honestly cutting JMac and Atley also hurt because we cut leaders who could have continued playing out of the club, limited as they may have been. Its part of the "we cut too deep" only to replace them with kids who were no where near making it.

I mean Patch Adams is also only 36. There could be a world where he played until his mid 30s and only just retired.
Patch and BJ both retired because of concussion.

It shits me because I don't think the umps have ever protected our players heads the way they did some other sides.

Baffles me why Majak got let go also. Blokes like him with his athleticism don’t come around very often
Because Maj had cooked hips and couldn't train or compete to the level required. He might have been okay if we let recover for three years but could we afford to that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Will can get a move to another AFL club with more opportunities to play senior football then you certainly can’t begrudge him leaving, I think we’ve really mismanaged him this year.
Mismanaged him? How? By not gifting him games? Come on man. But I agree, if he seeks another club for more opportunity, you can't begrudge him.

AFL football is played at intense speed that is beyond Will unfortunately. His had opportunities and not evolved to the standard.

I wouldn't say we've mismanaged him, but he is definitely a victim of a very odd list build and I don't think he'll be the last.

We had three young gun mids on the list in Jy, LDU and TT, and then in 3 years drafted 3 in 2020, 2 in 2022 another in 2023 and likely another in 2024.

As a result we're playing musical chairs with very high draft picks, which isn't a good way to develop them. We'd be short a few more chairs if it weren't for some unusual circumstances.

Imagine, if you will, he goes elsewhere and tears it up and Kane Cornes goes on Calcified saying “how could we let this superstar go??”

Chapter 2: McDonald comes to us on a lucrative long term deal and goes the way of Polec.

AFL football is played at intense speed that is beyond Will unfortunately. His had opportunities and not evolved to the standard.
Pretty fair summary, i recall when mahony got picked up by Suns him saying he was looking forward to proving his doubters wrong and yet he has regressed in the vfl.

Willpower can only get you do far. No pun intended btw

I wouldn't say we've mismanaged him, but he is definitely a victim of a very odd list build and I don't think he'll be the last.

We had three young gun mids on the list in Jy, LDU and TT, and then in 3 years drafted 3 in 2020, 2 in 2022 another in 2023 and likely another in 2024.

As a result we're playing musical chairs with very high draft picks, which isn't a good way to develop them. We'd be short a few more chairs if it weren't for some unusual circumstances.

In a relatively small window (pun intended), we took Powell, Phillips, Lazarro, Spicer and Mahoney.

It blows my mind that we did that. Who thought that was gonna work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back