Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mismanaged him? How? By not gifting him games? Come on man. But I agree, if he seeks another club for more opportunity, you can't begrudge him.
No not by gifting him games but by not giving him a run of games to give him some continuity. Just about every other player has been afforded 3 - 4 games even when their form hasn't warranted it whereas Will, it seems, is held to a different set of standards.

I’m curious, how have we mismanaged him?
By not giving him a run of games to give him some continuity. Just about every other player has been afforded 3 - 4 games even when their form hasn't warranted it whereas Will, it seems, is held to a different set of standards.

It’s interesting looking at draft guru and seeing the averages for Picks 3 - 5 in the following categories
  • Games Played 55 (WP 35 might be higher by years end with injuries, or a thank you game if he is leaving).
  • This is an average, and so factors in those who have a long term injury/illness. WP with the glandular fever.
  • Av Career games - 156 and Av Club games 117 (suggesting a few go on to other club(s) and play 3-4 more years.
  • Av Brownlow Votes 38 (WP 1)

What would be of interest is how many draftees in the picks #3-5 bracket leave their original club after 4 years, and then go on to have better careers in their next club(s). Would be a very select group I reckon. But in the right environment/coach/timing there must be some success stories of turning it around and becoming a solid role player picked each week in their best 22.

Good luck Will in how ever the cards land.

In a relatively small window (pun intended), we took Powell, Phillips, Lazarro, Spicer and Mahoney.

It blows my mind that we did that. Who thought that was gonna work?
Brady saw that Richmond won its premierships with a whole bunch of light, sub 182cm players. At the time we had a lot of slow 189cm, 90kg players so he thought he'd follow what they did. The difference was that they could all play and were super fit mainly due to Peter Burge.

I wouldn't say we've mismanaged him, but he is definitely a victim of a very odd list build and I don't think he'll be the last.

We had three young gun mids on the list in Jy, LDU and TT, and then in 3 years drafted 3 in 2020, 2 in 2022 another in 2023 and likely another in 2024.

As a result we're playing musical chairs with very high draft picks, which isn't a good way to develop them. We'd be short a few more chairs if it weren't for some unusual circumstances.
that's it. And when Wilphil isn't that versatile he's taken a hit. Hasn't helped being so poor and therefore sitting at the bottom of the ladder. If we'd improved we're moving up the ladder and looking at Busslinger, Amiss, Gibcus, Wanganeen-Milera, etc.

Quite a few variables that have added to his woes (along with the other stuff previously mentioned).

No not by gifting him games but by not giving him a run of games to give him some continuity. Just about every other player has been afforded 3 - 4 games even when their form hasn't warranted it whereas Will, it seems, is held to a different set of standards.

He got a big run last year of games. Powell played a similar amount but was thrown all over the place, Will got great middle minutes.

His stats looked ok, but obviously the coaching staff thought differently.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He got a big run last year of games. Powell played a similar amount but was thrown all over the place, Will got great middle minutes.

His stats looked ok, but obviously the coaching staff thought differently.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe it was a case of different coaches rating him differently. Got a solid run of games, and seemed to perform well under Ratts.

By not giving him a run of games to give him some continuity. Just about every other player has been afforded 3 - 4 games even when their form hasn't warranted it whereas Will, it seems, is held to a different set of standards.
Who should he be playing ahead of in the middle?
LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, Simpkin or Sheezel?
He doesn’t play any other position & his form doesn’t warrant a spot ahead of those mentioned.
It’s not like he has banged down the door with a string of dominant games in the VFL when he goes back either.

Who should he be playing ahead of in the middle?
LDU, Wardlaw, Powell, Simpkin or Sheezel?
He doesn’t play any other position & his form doesn’t warrant a spot ahead of those mentioned.
It’s not like he has banged down the door with a string of dominant games in the VFL when he goes back either.

Shiel would be the one he comes in for I would have thought.

If Will can get a move to another AFL club with more opportunities to play senior football then you certainly can’t begrudge him leaving, I think we’ve really mismanaged him this year.

I don't begrudge him exploring his options but he is going to be on the shit list at any club he goes to... It is not like the bar of expectation is that high at our club. If you can't crack it in this side with some of the potatoes running around you aren't exactly being held back. You are just tracking worse than a potato.

He sadly doesn't have enough strings to his bow, I think he would be a great prospect if we had limited midfield talent at our disposal but Jy is struggling to get quality midfield time and he is the captain of the team and B&F in that role and it is going to be even harder to find midfield time when McKercher transitions into the midfield next year.

When we drafted the number of mids we have done, the club would be expecting those who ended up without a chair to leave when the music stopped playing. Will has no chair that is despite Thomas shooting his career in the foot. It just is what it is. Sadly, we would have hoped the bottom rungs would be of a better standard so we get something of value in the draft as compensation, but some high end picks Giants lost went for next to nothing.

I like Will, but when you have Wardlaw, LDU and McKercher as the main core midfield trifecta, he isn't on the same plane of existence atm either on output or potential. Realistically, players who come in over the next 3-5 years are going to be better suited for midfield depth.

I still think we should put a reasonable offer to Will to extend, he is going to be a much better prospect than a 2nd or 3rd round pick imo. I still think he could become a very good player but I don't think he can just be a see ball get ball player, he would need to change his game like try and turn into a Jacobs who can tag someone out of the game and still be annoyingly damaging when he gets the chance. Before Jacob's head exploded, he was playing such a fantastic damaging role, would completely shut out the best opposition midfield and kick goals on them which poured salt on the wound. Will just doesn't have enough impact at AFL level and he should be dominating at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘PICK 3s DON’T TAG’: ROO TIPPED TO DEPART ARDEN STREET

Out-of-favour North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips is expected to be at a rival club next season.

The off-contract 22-year-old has managed just three senior games this year thus far. He has just 35 AFL matches to his name since being drafted at No. 3 overall in the 2020 national draft.

“I don’t think Will Phillips will be at North Melbourne next year,” Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“Now, he’s in the extended squad this weekend, but he played as a tagger in the VFL last weekend.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph chimed in: “He’s a pick 3. Pick 3s don’t tag.”

Phillips has averaged 23.6 disposals across seven VFL outings this year.

“Surely a pick 3 is not tagging in the VFL,” Landsberger continued.

“He was brought in to raise the standards at North Melbourne. He’s clearly not in their best 22 at the moment, and if he’s tagging in the VFL, you just can’t see how there’s a future for him there, particularly when they’re going to have another high draft pick this year — and it’s a rich draft for midfielders.”

Ralph also expects Phillips to depart the Roos, but he questioned the onballer’s ability to break into an AFL side.

“I understand that, and people tell me he’s going — ‘give me a home’,” he told Fox Footy.

“Because I look at him and I think to myself — by all accounts he’s an extraordinary bloke, great character, they picked him in a Covid year, which was always a challenge, it hasn’t been a great top-10 of that draft — but I think to myself ‘if he can’t get a game in the bottom side, where else would he get a game?’”

Phillips is a non-free agent, meaning a trade deal would need to be struck between the Roos and an acquiring club.

Out-of-favour North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips is expected to be at a rival club next season.

The off-contract 22-year-old has managed just three senior games this year thus far. He has just 35 AFL matches to his name since being drafted at No. 3 overall in the 2020 national draft.

“I don’t think Will Phillips will be at North Melbourne next year,” Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“Now, he’s in the extended squad this weekend, but he played as a tagger in the VFL last weekend.”

“He was brought in to raise the standards at North Melbourne. He’s clearly not in their best 22 at the moment, and if he’s tagging in the VFL, you just can’t see how there’s a future for him there, particularly when they’re going to have another high draft pick this year — and it’s a rich draft for midfielders.”

Ralph also expects Phillips to depart the Roos, but he questioned the onballer’s ability to break into an AFL side.

“I understand that, and people tell me he’s going — ‘give me a home’,” he told Fox Footy.

“Because I look at him and I think to myself — by all accounts he’s an extraordinary bloke, great character, they picked him in a Covid year, which was always a challenge, it hasn’t been a great top-10 of that draft — but I think to myself ‘if he can’t get a game in the bottom side, where else would he get a game?’”

Phillips is a non-free agent, meaning a trade deal would need to be struck between the Roos and an acquiring club.
Thats effectively a condensed peice of this thread. Afl invesigative journalism at its best.

I think Sam Landsbergers visits BF, the smart money has been on this as the likely scenario for sometime. EVERY club does this, sees a guy that was taken early, and believes their club will be able to develop him.

We've done it, Jordan Gysberts is just one example. And the reason he didn't make it with us, was apparently we couldn't "un-Melbourne him". Well according to those in charge at the time.

And yeah a pick 3 becoming a tagger isn't flash and reeks of desperation.

And yes he is behind, LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, McKercher & then those capable of spending minutes in the middle. Zurhaar, Curtis & Sheezel.

It sucks for us losing pick 8 & 3 in the same year, but 100% will be the correct decision by Phillips to try and get his career going elsewhere.

Wish him all the best, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get a second rounder for him. We need the Eagle to shit the bed and get a couple of PP's that they need to trade.

Or maybe a player on the outer from one of the clubs that are showing interest would be an acceptable outcome. As many have said we don't really need more middling draft picks.

I’d like to know how/where Will Phill would fit into a side already resembling Munchkin Land.
Wardlaw, McKercher and Simpkin are a similar size but are miles ahead of him
Our midfield is already way too small IMO.
I’m not convinced Will Phil has AFL attributes, but even if he does, where/how could he possibly fit in???

I’d like to know how/where Will Phill would fit into a side already resembling Munchkin Land.
Wardlaw, McKercher and Simpkin are a similar size but are miles ahead of him
Our midfield is already way too small IMO.
I’m not convinced Will Phil has AFL attributes, but even if he does, where/how could he possibly fit in???

The starting 3 are LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin.

Sheezel is in the next group but this is where I think it gets interesting, not just for Will. We need speed and a big body. Colby would be 1 and the other would be either an import like a Yeo or Wines type or Smilie if we get the first pick.

That is 6 mids and we have been playing 4-5 this year.

That means that even Tom Powell, who I am a big fan, would be in big trouble when there is full availability. As many have said, the list build has not been diverse enough and that means potentially solid AFL players will move on.

The starting 3 are LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin.

Sheezel is in the next group but this is where I think it gets interesting, not just for Will. We need speed and a big body. Colby would be 1 and the other would be either an import like a Yeo or Wines type or Smilie if we get the first pick.

That is 6 mids and we have been playing 4-5 this year.

That means that even Tom Powell, who I am a big fan, would be in big trouble when there is full availability. As many have said, the list build has not been diverse enough and that means potentially solid AFL players will move on.
At least we now have potentially solid AFL players with some sort of trade value that can cycle back into trading for players of a need.

I've always liked Phillips, but it might be best for both club and player in the long run. We just get caught by the What If he becomes a star somewhere else.

I’ll be disappointed if he leaves, but if he makes a swipe at the club or takes aim at it for not giving him opportunities, I’ll be happy to see him go.
He walked in with his illness and took extended time off, but overall reads to be hanging onto his laurels which was his u/18 year and the one playing with Rowell before it.

I’ll be disappointed if he leaves, but if he makes a swipe at the club or takes aim at it for not giving him opportunities, I’ll be happy to see him go.
He walked in with his illness and took extended time off, but overall reads to be hanging onto his laurels which was his u/18 year and the one playing with Rowell before it.

That is just pure bullshit! He was drafted in 2020, was available for the whole 2021 season, and then had his 2022 wiped out by illness. Not his fault at all.

What evidence do you have that he is "hanging onto his laurels"? And I mean actual evidence, not Big Footy commentary.

We all know things haven't worked out for Will as he would like, that the club would like, or that we would like, yet. It may never get there for Will, but I'd be amazed if he is doing anything other than working as hard as he can to get better and find a role in the team where he can thrive.

Making shit up is just counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back