Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sam Landsbergers visits BF, the smart money has been on this as the likely scenario for sometime. EVERY club does this, sees a guy that was taken early, and believes their club will be able to develop him.

We've done it, Jordan Gysberts is just one example. And the reason he didn't make it with us, was apparently we couldn't "un-Melbourne him". Well according to those in charge at the time.

And yeah a pick 3 becoming a tagger isn't flash and reeks of desperation.

And yes he is behind, LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, McKercher & then those capable of spending minutes in the middle. Zurhaar, Curtis & Sheezel.

It sucks for us losing pick 8 & 3 in the same year, but 100% will be the correct decision by Phillips to try and get his career going elsewhere.

Wish him all the best, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get a second rounder for him. We need the Eagle to shit the bed and get a couple of PP's that they need to trade.

Or maybe a player on the outer from one of the clubs that are showing interest would be an acceptable outcome. As many have said we don't really need more middling draft picks.
Yeah he either read the VFL wrap on the North site where Tom Lynch was talking about the tagging role he did or read bigfooty. Hardly like he's gone with something groundbreaking after Twomey said it a day before lol.

I’ll be disappointed if he leaves, but if he makes a swipe at the club or takes aim at it for not giving him opportunities, I’ll be happy to see him go. He walked in with his illness and took extended time off, but overall reads to be hanging onto his laurels which was his u/18 year and the one playing with Rowell before it.
Absolute rubbish. I don't know him personally but know about Will from people who know him and I can tell you that Will is not the type of person to do that. He won't leave bitter or angry. He wants to repay the club that drafted him, he is working hard but he's just a bit behind the other guys in terms of preseasons and training/games.
That's why the club could either think he's coming from a long way back compared to others and give him another year or they tell Will to explore his opportunities.
Either way I'd understand the situation. There probably isn't a spot for him long term but his value to us as depth may be worth more than the trade offers from other teams. Time will tell as to what happens.

Play him and he stays it’s that simple

Or at least bumps up trade value

Or we can play the 34 year old bloke joining our recruiting team next year

Genius
What a load of bollocks. Shiels is playing because he makes the team better. Will isn't because he makes it worse. We are trying to win games of footy, not bump up the trade value of players.

What a load of bollocks. Shiels is playing because he makes the team better. Will isn't because he makes it worse. We are trying to win games of footy, not bump up the trade value of players.
You are the sort of person who would have loved the final round win last year missing out on Harley

think longer term

Pump games into wilphil who could be part of our long term future if given a extended run to find form fs pump games into a 33/34 year old bloke about to retire

You are the sort of person who would have loved the final round win last year missing out on Harley

think longer term
Longer term, having the senior onfield midfield support helps the development of guys like Wardlaw, Sheez, Powell etc.

think longer term

Pump games into wilphil who could be part of our long term future if given a extended run to find form fs pump games into a 33/34 year old bloke about to retire
Shiels' role on field is helping our young players develop. This is more important than gifting games to fringe players.

Pumping games into wilphil to gel and grow with them long term is the better way to go
Nah, there is enough doubt there that Wil Phil is going to make it at AFL level.

The development of the other guys takes priority, Wil Phil unfortunately is going to have to prove himself in the 2s or take the opportunity when it comes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I don't subscribe to the "number 3 pick shouldn't be a tagger" because a good quality tagger can win games of football.

Absolutely - Ben Jacobs was our most important player at one point. Same goes for Crowley at Freo.

Phillips is the last type of mid they need.

Too similar to Steele, Ross, Crouch, Clark ect.
The perfect crime would be if the StKilda midfield coach was murdered during a line meeting on game day at 3/4 time at the MCG in front of 40,000 witnesses. Nobody would be able to identify the killer with absolute certainty out of that line up.

Out of left field, just listening to SEN today (wtf did I put myself through that?) I wouldn’t be surprised if Port puts a contract in front of Will and he takes it.

Idk, that would be straight out of the Braydon Preuss School of Career Moves - if he's not getting a game ahead of LDU/Wardlaw/Simpkin/Powell he also wouldn't get a game ahead of Butters/Rozee/Horne-Francis/Wines

Does having him tag occasionally in the vfl necessarily mean we are trying to turn him into a tagger? Maybe the coaches just want to accelerate his improvement in the defensive side of his game and see this as a way to teach it.
A lot of conclusions being jumped to here.

A lot of conclusions being jumped to here.
You’re talking about a place that on the regular would analyse Lachie Hansens facial expressions like they thought they were psychologists trained in body language.

There is so much nonsense.

A shitload of bias too.

If WillPhil leaves at the end of the season, then the BF tech team can retire 5 servers in their data centre with the drop in traffic to this page 😎

It’s like we all bought some highly touted stock in a gold mine up in the Pilbara 4 years ago, and no dividends paid back to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back