Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kayne Turner can achieve 111 games then there is hope for Will Phillips!!

People need yet another reminder that he is the third-ranked player in his age group according to AFL Player Ratings. People make comments about how Phillips wouldn't be drafted in the top five or ten if the draft were to be held again, but excluding academy players, how many would clearly be ranked ahead of him?

Max Holmes and Logan McDonald are two for sure, and Bowey is another who is ahead on performance, but clubs aren't lining up to draft 176cm defenders. There's also Thilthorpe, who isn't setting the world on fire but in my opinion has shown signs of why he was rated so highly. After that, I really think you'd be splitting hairs trying to discuss guys like Phillips, Bruhn, Perkins, Pedlar, Chapman, and Henry. We took him second in an open draft and now he has probably drifted to somewhere in the 4-7 range? We really need to relax on this one.

Alternatively, we could have taken Hollands or DGB, who are struggling much more than Phillips at this stage, or even if we had taken McDonald, I'm sure he'd have been back in WA by now after struggling to get a touch in our forward line for two years. For a club in our position, the character of Phillips has to be taken into account as well. Phillips seems like a bloke who'd love the challenge of rebuilding our great club from the ground up and we saw what happened the next year when we took somebody with a weaker mental resolve.

Last edited:
People need yet another reminder that he is the third-ranked player in his age group according to AFL Player Ratings. People make comments about how Phillips wouldn't be drafted in the top five or ten if the draft were to be held again, but excluding academy players, how many would clearly be ranked ahead of him?

Max Holmes and Logan McDonald are two for sure, and Bowey is another who is ahead on performance, but clubs aren't lining up to draft 176cm defenders. There's also Thilthorpe, who isn't setting the world on fire but in my opinion has shown signs of why he was rated so highly. After that, I really think you'd be splitting hairs trying to discuss guys like Phillips, Bruhn, Perkins, Pedlar, Chapman, and Henry. We took him second in an open draft and now he has probably drifted to somewhere in the 4-7 range? We really need to relax on this one.

Alternatively, we could have taken Hollands or DGB, who are struggling much more than Phillips at this stage, or even if we had taken McDoanld, I'm sure he'd have been back in WA by now after struggling to get a touch in our forward line for two years. For a club in our position, the character of Phillips has to be taken into account as well. Phillips seems like a bloke who'd love the challenge of rebuilding our great club from the ground up and we saw what happened the next year when we took somebody with a weaker mental resolve.
Off topic but I wonder what Elijah Hollands would cost in terms of trade?
He’s facing an up bill battle to be in that suns line up and they’re about to add a bunch midfielders.

He’s facing an up bill battle to be in that suns line up and they’re about to add a bunch midfielders.
Too much. They would want a top 10 pick, and that's assuming he wants to go and us beating out the usual suspects in Geelong, Carlton and Melbourne.

Too much. They would want a top 10 pick, and that's assuming he wants to go and us beating out the usual suspects in Geelong, Carlton and Melbourne.
If he ends up coming to Melbourne, I assume he’ll end up at Richmond.
Top ten pick thou?
I would’ve thought he’d be a late first early second.

If he ends up coming to Melbourne, I assume he’ll end up at Richmond.
Top ten pick thou?
I would’ve thought he’d be a late first early second.
Formerly rated in the top 5 of his recent draft. Definitely a decent first round pick.

We like to joke about it, but Carlton, Richmond and Geelong can offer extra perks that we can't. Plus, we are hardly a destination club atm.

I was in love with Hollands prior to the draft, but I'm happy for another club to take him if I'm being honest.

I'm worried it's another Paul Ahern situation. Paul after his early ACL issues never had the mobility for footy and I haven't watched a ton of Hollands to be fair, but it does appear to be a similar situation.

I'd be more interested in DGB.

Formerly rated in the top 5 of his recent draft. Definitely a decent first round pick.

We like to joke about it, but Carlton, Richmond and Geelong can offer extra perks that we can't. Plus, we are hardly a destination club atm.
Trust me, I’m resigned to the fact we won’t be able to trade anyone in until we start winning. I said it pre draft last year, Clarko affect really only last one trading period.

It was much an exercise in what his worth is rather then coming to us.

I was in love with Hollands prior to the draft, but I'm happy for another club to take him if I'm being honest.

I'm worried it's another Paul Ahern situation. Paul after his early ACL issues never had the mobility for footy and I haven't watched a ton of Hollands to be fair, but it does appear to be a similar situation.

I'd be more interested in DGB.
Yeah this..
there’s a player in there but at present output it would be a third rounder, take in potential and you might get an early second.
His trade value would be all over the place.
How this relates back to Will, that whole 2020 draft year is whack, they all looked like a million $$ in 2021, what the hell happened.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alternatively, we could have taken Hollands or DGB, who are struggling much more than Phillips at this stage, or even if we had taken McDonald, I'm sure he'd have been back in WA by now after struggling to get a touch in our forward line for two years. For a club in our position, the character of Phillips has to be taken into account as well. Phillips seems like a bloke who'd love the challenge of rebuilding our great club from the ground up and we saw what happened the next year when we took somebody with a weaker mental resolve.
Well said. WP cracked in hard on the weekend. It wasn’t a pretty game and he had 9 tackles. Most by any player and the next best for either side was Wardlaw. Disposal count was 385-314 our way so he put in a shift.

For comparisons sake Cunners had 0 tackles for the game.

Tbf a lot of those perks can be found in a brown paper bag

We desperately need some mentally strong leadership on the ground.

Will.P won’t leave any stone unturned to make sure he gets everything out of himself. Wish that was the case for most of our team.

If we’re still questioning him next year then we can probably call this guy a bust. Has excuses of course but this is pro sport not kick to kick at recess.
But yeah, 3rd year in, pick 3 and currently plodding along in the ressies for a shit team isn’t ideal. But that’s been the North way in recent times with draftees unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back