Preview 2nd Elimination Final, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Gabba, Saturday 3rd October, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I have flesh in this game, so I'm going to be more p....d off at the game being shifted from the Gabba to Adelaide than if I was Melbourne based. I will move on, as there's more to life than watching a final and I'm really happy I not only got to see the Saints this season but to see them win and win well.
I'm struggling to comprehend some of the AFL apologists though. If we were called Collingwood, no change but because we're St Kilda, no problem. I'm sorry but that's really f.....g bad.

We’re probably just relieved to be playing finals & any whining is just white noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Geary play on JJ last time
Yep he did and just realised it after I posted. It'll be one or the other. Think Daniel is more damaging and in better form, can't really see anyone else playing a tagging role on him.

Yep he did and just realised it after I posted. It'll be one or the other. Think Daniel is more damaging and in better form, can't really see anyone else playing a tagging role on him.
JJ has actually been playing up forward the last two weeks with Dureya back. Would Geary play defence on JJ or is he better suited to a lock down role up forward?

Maybe Kent or Butler on Daniel if Geary goes to JJ.

It's a bad matchup though, I don't trust them to really stop him but they can put on some forward pressure at least.

Long?

Personally would just let Geary sit on Daniel and JJ roam free. I don't think he will damage us too badly. Think if we let Daniel off the chain though then it's going to be an uphill battle.

Dogs started off well in our Round 2 clash and got the jump on us, but then we started to get on top for majority of the game after that. Assuming if Jones is back in the line up, I could see Clark go back again as he was influential in a number of attacks off the back half against the dogs. Hunter changed the momentum of the game for us early in the game. Ryder basically murdered English in the ruck.
Carlisle and Howard had quiet games, but Bruce & Naughton didn't do a lot either which probably shows how well our midfield played as a collective.
Billings and Hannebury probably played their best games against the dogs. Gresham played quite well too, who will be a big loss.

JJ has actually been playing up forward the last two weeks with Dureya back. Would Geary play defence on JJ or is he better suited to a lock down role up forward?
Can do either. Don't think it's about positions with Geary. He will play anywhere that the Dogs best player at setting up attack is playing.

Maybe Kent or Butler on Daniel if Geary goes to JJ.

It's a bad matchup though, I don't trust them to really stop him but they can put on some forward pressure at least.

Long?

Personally would just let Geary sit on Daniel and JJ roam free. I don't think he will damage us too badly. Think if we let Daniel off the chain though then it's going to be an uphill battle.
Was it Richo's last year we didn't lockdown JJ and he around 40 touches and killed us

Can do either. Don't think it's about positions with Geary. He will play anywhere that the Dogs best player at setting up attack is playing.
At present that will be Daniel then. He’s been damaging for us of late so if you can stop him it’ll go a long way to helping you win. I’m concerned about your pace. Gresham out helps but you killed us on the turnover earlier in the year. That and the ruck will be keys to the game. If English is murdered again we’ll be in for a long night. Marshall and Ryders marking ability around the ground will be crucial in not allowing English to simply slide back in defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At present that will be Daniel then. He’s been damaging for us of late so if you can stop him it’ll go a long way to helping you win. I’m concerned about your pace. Gresham out helps but you killed us on the turnover earlier in the year. That and the ruck will be keys to the game. If English is murdered again we’ll be in for a long night. Marshall and Ryders marking ability around the ground will be crucial in not allowing English to simply slide back in defence
Don't know if you've seen us much this year but the Marshall and Ryder combination has come on leaps and bounds since we played you guys last. They've figured out how to work together effectively.

Expect lots of Paddy in the centre bounces and Marshall around the ground. Both drifting up forward at times but Marshall more so.

English is going to have a solid night's sleep after the game if he ends up mostly one out against both.

Was it Richo's last year we didn't lockdown JJ and he around 40 touches and killed us
Don't think he needs that heavy a tag this year.

This is why I wanted to play you instead of Collingwood. We will probably beat you in the ruck whereas Grundy smashed us earlier in the year.

Geary to Daniel seems the most logical, especially if JJ plays forward.

I find it interesting that bulldogs supporters are concerned about our pace. My how the wheel turns...

Not that it makes me anymore confident about winning, but Gee, for a team that has historically struggled against us, their board is very cocky about this game.

Don't know if you've seen us much this year but the Marshall and Ryder combination has come on leaps and bounds since we played you guys last. They've figured out how to work together effectively.

The game against the dogs was the first game the ryder/roma combo worked great.

The dogs most certainly have had a front row seat to seeing how well it works- their boy english was monstered which took their much better midfield out of the equation.

Will be a much closer battle this time around though

The game against the dogs was the first game the ryder/roma combo worked great.

The dogs most certainly have had a front row seat to seeing how well it works- their boy english was monstered which took their much better midfield out of the equation.

Will be a much closer battle this time around though
Yeah that’s what I thought. Ryder and Marshall played well against us. I’ve watched a lot of the saints and your two ruckmen are the type that English doesn’t like - physical. The hype around English has come from his around the ground ability up forward and in defence. I think he’ll have his hands full in defence. Marshall rarely spills a mark. And we have absolutely no second ruck option.

I find it interesting that bulldogs supporters are concerned about our pace. My how the wheel turns...
Haha yeah we have looked like we’re running in mud this year. Vandameer was a revelation this year because we finally had some extra pace but he’s out with a hammy. Our mids are just slow. Bailey Smith the quickest but then that’s just burst speed and our handball happy gameplan doesn’t allow him to use it much.

Don't think he needs that heavy a tag this year.

This is why I wanted to play you instead of Collingwood. We will probably beat you in the ruck whereas Grundy smashed us earlier in the year.

Geary to Daniel seems the most logical, especially if JJ plays forward.
You will 100% beat us in the ruck. Our hitouts are pathetic. Our mids have gotten used to trying to shark opponent hitouts but it’s not a sustainable plan to get first use. It’s why when our mids aren’t on, we get slaughtered and it can unravel quickly. If English can’t have an impact around the ground he becomes an absolute liability.

I think Ratts played it perfectly when asked by Whateley re our final being in RADelaide. Internally though I hope he uses it to motivate the boys in an us vs the world scenario. Personally I couldn’t care less where it is played, if we’re good enough we’ll win regardless, if not, we won’t.
Do you have a link?

Not that it makes me anymore confident about winning, but Gee, for a team that has historically struggled against us, their board is very cocky about this game.
I'm quite nervous as I suspect both teams would be.

I guess our supporters see it as our best can beat anybody. Even our boogy teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back