Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

We lack both. They won first use and ran off us on the outside.

They didn't win much out of the middle.
They were taking it from our forwards.
Our forward pressure was non-existent. Bringing the ball to the ground should be 50:50 but it wasn't close.
They ran off with it uncontested.

( And no , the guy flying for the mark is not the one accountable for that ).

Lost in the midfield. We looked slow and lost contests.
Watching it we got smashed in clearance (so many shrugged tackles and front of clearance clean ball) and spread (especially overlap and carry from defence).

Tactically we gave them 30m from every kick in and they took it everytime, was weird.

Last thing before I pack it in.

68.5k against a team with no more than 2000 supporters at the ground really shows what the Saints can be regarding crowds.
66k Sainters today, fantastic effort

Let the sleeping Giant awaken.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This was the thing that was pissing me off in the second quarter.

We had 60k+ people who were willing to sit in the rain waiting to go feral if it was close.

We just shit the bed and the sting was out of the game for an hour.

Gresham was awesome. Probably 4 blokes that can hold there head up high after that and Gresham is one of them. He was the least likely to do it as well. Shows character when there's rumours the club wants you out and you show up like that and 18 of your mates show absolutely no pride in the jumper.
Agree with your point about Gresh. He did some excellent things.

Cannot agree that the team had no pride in the jumper. Their effort was there, even if the talent and class was lacking. You don’t fight back from 40+ twice if you have no pride in the jumper.

This team has had one game this entire year where we played like we didn’t want it enough -against the Crows.

They didn't win much out of the middle.
They were taking it from our forwards.
Our forward pressure was non-existent. Bringing the ball to the ground should be 50:50 but it wasn't close.
They ran off with it uncontested.

( And no , the guy flying for the mark is not the one accountable for that ).
They won plenty out of the middle and when they did it was clean and front of stoppage ball, not a scrubby kick to 40m out.

We lack both. They won first use and ran off us on the outside.

Yeah we do but it's s0 hard for us to compete with the likes of GWS and Gold Coast when they get spoon fed so many top draft picks.

No surprise that GWS are looking so good now that they have a good coach in Kingsley and the Suns will be a force soon too with Dimma.

Clubs like us have to try and just survive on the draft pick scraps and find draft diamonds in the rough like Owens, Sharman or Windhager.

We aren't playing on a level playing field and that was obvious today.

We tried, but we’re outclassed across the field. The GWS midfield won it although Steele got lots of possessions and rest of the mids went missing, the GWS midfield did better and provided better support in their forward and back half. Clearly Pou will need to build up his body strength, as does Hammer and Sharman, but Sharman is probably our smartest ball user and will play a role like Gunston did at Hawthorn eventually. Really disappointed in our smalls who didn’t bust their gut anywhere near enough in a big game. Hill was very good and NAS played some good footy. Lyon was a bit slow in changing things early when GWS got a run on, but let’s hope next year sees a stronger Saints- we stayed in the top half of the ladder which is good.

We gave up eight goals in a row across two quarters before waking up.
Game was toast by then.

Squandered opportunities just took the wind out us too many times.

Missing shots from 30m out where you are kicking around your body is just plain amateur.

You could argue that this was our worst performance of the year.

I was sitting in front of where the teams walked off at half time. GWS are at a different stage than us. They just looked bigger, more experienced.

I think we'll be really disappointed because although the Giants were the better side we were so often nearly there to really opening them up. When Higgins kicked the first goal of the final QTR it was on like Donkey Kong but then we lost two easy centre clearances and it was game over.

On the centre clearances, we almost never get one where we burst away. It's always a rushed kick. It highlights how much we are lacking a burst mid.

Such a great season. I'm disappointed with today because our best would have been good enough but it just wasn't our day.

So many players stood up and can build from there.

Oh and the umpiring was comically bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won plenty out of the middle and when they did it was clean and front of stoppage ball, not a scrubby kick to 40m out.

They had 14 center clearances, Saints had 11, but point taken about how clean they were.

Other Stats i thought were relevant:
Marks inside 50 , Saints 9, GWS 15. ( And kicks into the 50 were fairly even).
Efficiency inside 50, 41 vs 56%

Proud of the way the boys fight it out. At one point I thought we might lose by 60+. A huge result to play finals this year. Great experience for the kids.

We got smashed in the forward line. So many times they just walked it out of D50.

Last edited:
I'll start with the negatives:

As good as Cordy has been in some weeks, there's a reason the Dogs weren't desperate to keep him and play him in defence. He works well as part of the system but is genuine exposed 1 on 1.

Our midfield got smashed.

Jack Steele can't be captain next year. That might be the least effective 38 possession game in the history of the sport. I hope we find out both of his shoulders need replacing because he just hasn't been impactful all year.

We still need to work out the "Kick it to King" s**t. Once the Giants got on top the panic bombs set it and they were able to kill the ball and run off us all day. Move him to CHF and the I50 kicks become less predictable.

Now the good stuff:

Marshall was immense. We don't need a 2nd ruck. We just need someone to give him a decent chop out. He thrives being #1.

Brad Hill loves the MCG. Need to request more games there from the AFL if possible because he goes up a notch with all that space and fresh air.

Nas and Owens are gonna be absolute weapons in 2-3 years. Get them to that 60 game mark and look out!

Overall it was a positive year. Nobody would have realistically had us 6th preseason given the lack of talent on the list. Add in all the injuries and you can see why RTB is such a gun coach.

Massive off season for the list managers. We need to develop a midfield ASAP.

Looking forward to 2024!!
Agree with most of this but desperately need a ruck / forward to help Marshall out for 20% game time. Caminiti and Owens monstered today and centre clearances by GWS were a procession of quality exits.

Hopefully Hayes but he was monstered against Brisbane.

We gave up eight goals in a row across two quarters before waking up.
Game was toast by then.

Squandered opportunities just took the wind out us too many times.

Missing shots from 30m out where you are kicking around your body is just plain amateur.

You could argue that this was our worst performance of the year.
Yep we were 7 goals down in the 2nd fought back. We weren’t great today but even with 30 seconds to go in the last we were still trying our guts out

Disappointed

But a hugely successful season. We had so many challenges and they still came today.

Our young kids probably had a long hard season catch up with them. Their “kids” further down the track then us.

Future is bright but it’s lacking a gun mid.

“A year of exploration” - we found a lot. We found some future stars. We found what the list demographic is for us and it’s probably another 2-3 years away from “contending”

Make some hard calls. Go to the draft and build.

We have the right coach. We have a top nucleus.

Disappointing we couldn’t do 120 minutes with the giants. But it was always the risk for us. It’s the where we are in our evolution. We need to match the effort as we won’t win on skill at the minute.

If you’re carrying on as a supporter like the world is ending after today. After this season. You need a lie down.

Be proud of where we came from. The growth. The identity. Now we need the hard calls and some luck our way.

Go Sainters!❤️

St Blunda rolls on.

And you’ll add Liam Henry. That’s the kind of footballer that will take your forward in finals…… NOT

What a sad individual you must be If this is the way you get your jollies.

Disappointed with the result but proud of the effort and season. There was a point in the 2nd quarter where a lesser team would have rolled over and accepted they were getting smashed but we kept trying until the end. That attitude will hold us in good stead moving forward.

- Inexperienced showed today but the kids will be great. After a rough start, Nas turned it around and finished fantastic. Windy and Owens both did some good things in the 2nd half. Phillipou will be better for the expereince.

- Defence was as bad as they've been all year, particularly in the first half. Wilkie playing in Greene and changing the role he's played all season was a mistake. He looked lost at times because he was trying to mind him but trying to be in his usual positions and ended up on no mans land. Cordy's flaws were badly exposed today. Stocker was good when he came on and made me question even more why he didn't start. It would

- Kings going to be unstoppable once that shoulder is fixed. You could see him favouring one side and his hesitation to hit contests on one side but even a non-dominate game from him on the best FB in the comp gets us 3 goals. So excited to see him once he's fit.

- Hill at the MCG is elite. Marshall is the best ruck in the comp. Steele stood up today - an uninterrupted preseason from him and he will be back to his best.

Marshall couldn't have done anything more but their ruckwork was superior. Gave them first use more than Marshall did. Marshall better at taking it out of the ruck. Their mids were good enough to steal everything that spilled anyway.

I found a part of my soul today that I'd thought was lost. I have been a much more subdued supporter since the kiddos came along a few years back (good example and all that), but a couple of dodgy ump decisions and the buzz of a big saints crowd bought it back, the yelling, screaming, one-eyed animal.....and I loved it.

Be proud boys, this Year of Exploration has been a raging success, and you gave everything today. 40 down before half time would have been easy to go down by 80. The young lads will learn plenty from today.

Really hope we can capitalise on this season and see some pumping nights at Marvel in 2024, be that team that no one wants to play once again.

Marshall couldn't have done anything more but their ruckwork was superior. Gave them first use more than Marshall did. Marshall better at taking it out of the ruck. Their mids were good enough to steal everything that spilled anyway.

Won heaps more hitiouts but they had equal hitouts to advantage. So didn't given them first use more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back