Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck,

If you want, try posting in this thread also as it may get lost in discussion here, but this other thread is more dedicated to ticket discussion

Thanks. Will do

Mandatory this week to specify when one is talking about Shannon or Lachie.
Speaking of shannon neale.. Played his best ever game for us in the first final.

His lead up marking as a HF option between the arcs was damaging and elite all game.

Was very impressed

Tough selection week that’s for sure, I think Bews stays for the last 2 games, he plays on Cameron this week and Papley in the GF, obviously Stewy comes in but I’d start him in his usual position in defence and maybe a couple runs in the guts if needed. SDK is an interesting one, he seems the perfect matchup on Joe but hasn’t been his usual self this year so really torn on this one. Same as Mullin, does he tag any of the Lions mids if they get going? So in saying all of that I think the only change should be Stewy in but for who I really don’t know. Hawk and Cuthrie are a no for me too.
Good luck coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pagan confirmed Neale was carrying a foot problem. He has been way off his best which is great for us. Key defender Payne was also under a cloud last week and seemed like he wasn't 100% either. I have not seen any updates on him. Payne is really important down back. Jez is a problem for every opposition and Neale played his been game in the Qualifiying Final. Its a real issue for them if Payne is not 100%. I am guessing the Lions will be unchanged from last week.

For us, I recon the Ins are easy with Stewart and SDK coming in. Naming the outs and the Sub is much, much harder after a big win. At this stage I think one of Bews and Mullin go out. I'm keeping Mullin who can provide huge speed and defensive running. Like Neale, his Semi was his best game for the club. The other out is Tuohy. The sub is still a problem. Having dropped Reg, I'd keep Mitch Duncan for his experiance. So choosing a sub is almost too difficult. At this stage I recon Tanner Bruhn (replaced by Stewart) is the other unlucky one. He played a good game in the Semi aswell. But I am going for Mullin's defensive speed and induance in the starting line up. Brisbane isn't that fast so I see this as an advantage.

Can't and won't happen..... Tanner Bruhn is going nowhere, such a strange and surprising call. Gee some young players in this Geelong side are underestimated.

Last edited:
Surely Neale stays in.

Stewart comes in for Mullin or Tuohy.

SDK for Stanley a possibility. SDK for Stanley is like getting an extra mid, but Stanley was good in the clearances.

Can't see any other changes. Would be a risk to swap out Hawkins for Neale atm...
No chance of Stanley being dropped, NONE. SDK needs to be in side but how they go about doing that is going to make for very interesting viewing.

S Neale must stay in. He is currently deserving of his spot and playing better than Hawk.

SDK will be an automatic in as soon as he’s given the full medical green light. Scott said earlier this year that he makes no apologies for prioritising SDK who he sees as an integral key position player. All this talk of him being kept out of the team for reasons other than fitness is nonsense in my opinion.

I suspect Tuohy and/or Bews will be the unlucky ones. I suppose there’s a remote possibility they drop Stanley, but it wouldn’t make much sense given they’ve willingly played him the last few games and he’s got the added bonus of having a week’s rest coming into Saturday.

There are one or two posters on this board with a weird dislike of Bruhn.

S Neale must stay in. He is currently deserving of his spot and playing better than Hawk.

SDK will be an automatic in as soon as he’s given the full medical green light. Scott said earlier this year that he makes no apologies for prioritising SDK who he sees as an integral key position player. All this talk of him being kept out of the team for reasons other than fitness is nonsense in my opinion.

I suspect Tuohy and/or Bews will be the unlucky ones. I suppose there’s a remote possibility they drop Stanley, but it wouldn’t make much sense given they’ve willingly played him the last few games and he’s got the added bonus of having a week’s rest coming into Saturday.
Agree with SDK comments. Also SDK is becoming a far more adaptable player with great hands below knees, along with being exceptional with quick mind at 'feeding off with hands in close' which is a rare trait for a big key position player. SDK can also play 2nd ruck if needed and is more than capable of shutting down a Harris Andrews or Joe Daniher at either end of ground if they become a major problem, that's too many plus's for the Geelong team for him not to be in side. Not that they can't win without him in the side but I know what my preferences are with either Jed Bews, Oisin Mullin (who will be excellent AFL player in time) and Touhy (who's been lucky to get games)...... as we need at least two of these three to make way given Tom Stewart is a no brainer to come back into side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contested ball possessions as a ratio of total team possessions is about 1/3 in H & A games , but becomes about 1/2 in finals as it’s a more contested game and more pressure being applied.
According to Bucks the cats have the highest ratio of contested possessions to total possessions in the H & A season.
Hence our game is well drilled for a finals style of game.
It’s there for the taking!

No chance of Stanley being dropped, NONE. SDK needs to be in side but how they go about doing that is going to make for very interesting viewing.

They can't pick Stanley and pick SDK and keep the structure that has been good recently. Something has to give.

My guess is one of Stanley and SDK is left out.

Tough but a great position to be in with virtually a full list to choose from.

We had the balance perfect V Power but the Lions are a different prospect.

Stewart is the only compulsory inclusion IMO but who comes out?
Mullin - if we don't want him closing down Neale/Ashcroft or Bews if we leave it to Guthrie to look after Bailey/Cameron?
On balance I think Mullin misses as Stewart boosts our midfield and also defence.
Tuohy continues as the sub.
Tempted to pick SDK as insurance against their talls but I can't find an out for him , maybe Bews if we are OK with others defending their smalls. Certainly wouldn't be dropping Duncan/Bruhn/Mannagh/ Atkins or Bowes. I think SDK misses.
Tough calls to be made.

Speaking of shannon neale.. Played his best ever game for us in the first final.

His lead up marking as a HF option between the arcs was damaging and elite all game.

Was very impressed
Loved his first 5 minutes. Set the tone.

I have faith this year in the selection committe after years of poor calls. They will make the right calls, and this week, I am looking forward to ANOTHER Chris Scott masterclass - he runs rings around Chris Fagan.

Loved his first 5 minutes. Set the tone.

I think we will see a lot more of him roaming the F50 rather than being anchored at FF now and in 2025+
He is a fantastic runner and covers the ground exceedingly well for 200cm+ lad.
He'll also get looked for a lot more now that it's him and Cameron as the 2 tall forwards.
Key Forward succession plan done and dusted :think: :thumbsu:

I’m playing scratcher Neale before Hawkins. We need an unpredictable forward line that they all contribute to in equal measure given their differing roles they play . Can’t get Hawkins focused in this one.
Scratcher > Hawkins
And Guthrie has missed too much so the kids for me in there.
Speed & pressure
Pressure to speed

Last edited:
I’m playing scratcher Neale before Hawkins. We need an unpredictable forward line that they all contribute to in equal measure given their differing roles they play . Can’t get Hawkins focused in this one.
Scratcher > Hawkins
And Guthrie has missed too much so the kids for me in there.
Speed & pressure
Pressure to speed
#its#Itsnant time!
Why this talk about Hawkins taking Neale's spot 'this week', it's just 'click bait' chatter.... just a nonsense, nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back