Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not just a whenever we want thing.

For one reason or another, it only seems to be against teams that wear predominantly red these days.

It's weird, as it's our 'home' uniform, but we'll wear it against Sydney at the SCG or Gold Coast at Carrara, as well as at home against those teams.

Like in the prelim, Brissy will be wearing the Fitzroy jumper, so we wear the blue shorts & socks.

Would love an explanation as to why to be honest.
AFL aren't gutsy enough to make a proper alternative kit rule so they just order Geelong to wear white shorts because they have white in their jumper anyway

Should be a hard and fast rule all teams need an alternate kit that is NOT their base colours, reverse etc

Footy's always been a game measured in statistics, this isn't new.
Those aren't analytical statistics though.

Big difference from that to factors like pressure rating, points from clearance, marks inside 50 etc.

What My Tilly is getting at is people are just looking at disposal numbers of individual players.

It's incredibly shallow analysis, and it's the stuff teenagers use to decide great players/teams.

Freo for instance dominate disposal numbers most weeks. It comes with the territory of kicking the ball sideways to one another for 120 minutes.

It's a metric that can hold some value and analysis, but most of the time it's coming from the same people who thought Tom Mitchell's disposal numbers = best player in the AFL.

Fwiw I don’t think he will play but it’s good he’s training with the players for support.
Given his coaching roles (and a poster on here talking about Rohan attending a school footy clinic and being the bees knees), I expect Rohan is a really excellent mentor and 'energy' for the young guys to have around.

I wouldn't be out running around if they'd just repaired my skull - but he's a different breed.

Call me crazy but I have a theory that part of our success over the last 15 years has been wearing mainly white. With the increase in flashing advertising, the white uniforms are easier for players to see team mates.

Why would we change now?
It wasnt gazza, selwood or hawkins or danger. It was white shorts?

I call you crazy.

In the modern era it’s much more of a focus though.

GAS kicking 14 from a wing vs Richmond never really troubled the statisticians or footy fans.
Yes, it did - it did at the time, and it still does. The marker for a "good" day for a midfielder was always 20 touches; we just didn't have things like metres gained and clearances.

Call me crazy but I have a theory that part of our success over the last 15 years has been wearing mainly white. With the increase in flashing advertising, the white uniforms are easier for players to see team mates.

Why would we change now?
We wore blue shorts in the 22 PF and GF.

We shouldn’t really complain about the shorts too much as 99% of the time we wear our traditional jumper unlike most clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its pretty awesome we are wearing blue shorts again.

Blue shorts is the way geelong is supposed to look.

The club really needs to push for blue shorts more often.

Blue as a base makes the jumper pop. Too much white makes me think I'm watching the wrong game, Leeds or Tottenham :)

You siding with the hawks on that issue is odd. Hinkley was completely in the right.

He absolutely wasn't.

I don't care if it was the Hawks or any other club - this isn't a 'rivalry' thing, it's a 'standards in football' thing. Hinkley got his nose out of joint about a comment made by one player to another (non-Port) player a week earlier, made a peanut of himself, after a game that Hawthorn lost more than Port won, and Port Adelaide got fined $20k in the process. Embarrassing stuff fromt he public face of a footy club.

Anyway, it all but guarantees Ginnivan has a 'plane' celebration ready to go when they play Port next year - which will be hilarious.

He absolutely wasn't.

I don't care if it was the Hawks or any other club - this isn't a 'rivalry' thing, it's a 'standards in football' thing. Hinkley got his nose out of joint about a comment made by one player to another (non-Port) player a week earlier, made a peanut of himself, after a game that Hawthorn lost more than Port won, and Port Adelaide got fined $20k in the process. Embarrassing stuff fromt he public face of a footy club.

Anyway, it all but guarantees Ginnivan has a 'plane' celebration ready to go when they play Port next year - which will be hilarious.
I dunno if this fact has been lost amidst everything else but Ginnivan and Grundy were teammates at Collingwood. Irrespective of who they play for now, they were teammates once.

I thought that, in this context, they could joke around a bit.

Those aren't analytical statistics though.

Big difference from that to factors like pressure rating, points from clearance, marks inside 50 etc.

What My Tilly is getting at is people are just looking at disposal numbers of individual players.

It's incredibly shallow analysis, and it's the stuff teenagers use to decide great players/teams.

Freo for instance dominate disposal numbers most weeks. It comes with the territory of kicking the ball sideways to one another for 120 minutes.

It's a metric that can hold some value and analysis, but most of the time it's coming from the same people who thought Tom Mitchell's disposal numbers = best player in the AFL.

Spot on.
And I can understand the fascination with lovely juicy numbers but within games there are also indivdual markers in which players should be rightfully judged.
Geelong have established a system in recent years which takes a bit of the workload away from the star player(s). When Dangerfield and Selwood were at their peak, it got us nowhere because the burden of having to do it all when September rolled around was excessive.

Right now, people are worrying how the Geelong midfield is going to stack up against Brisbane's. McCluggage, Neale and Ashcroft can amass their 25-30 disposals each. Geelong is going to have an even contribution from Bowes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Miers, Atkins, Holmes, Blicavs and I dare say, Stewart. And if Dangerfield can replicate what he did two weeks ago then good luck to anyone trying to go toe-to-toe with us.

I dunno if this fact has been lost amidst everything else but Ginnivan and Grundy were teammates at Collingwood. Irrespective of who they play for now, they were teammates once.

I thought that, in this context, they could joke around a bit.

Exactly. Which is why I find it baffling Port got so upset about it.

My theory is that it was a handy distraction (and motivation) for them when the AFL world was questioning their credentials.

Swung by the Bris board and noticed a fair amount of footy intelligence and respect (so far).
Meanwhile puerile hate (rent free) rants from just where you'd expect.
Hints: Bumble bee colours. Sewerage colours.
:) :)

This is the biggest shock of the season! (i'm going to go read and note the best melts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back