Preview 2nd Preliminary Final Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - Destiny Beckons

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks singled out fyfe last game in Perth and got in his face and looked what happen. They will target Gray and Wingard with same tactics. Try to unsettle them. This is where experienced guys like Angus, Jay and Trengove need to not let them mentally dominate. Must beat lewis at stoppage, he is heart of their midfield. Angus defensive role on hodge. Boak will burst in this game. Homsbch on gunston. Carlile roughy. Breust worries me. But we must focus on playing port adl football and we exist to win premierships. Honourable loss not on our player and supporters mind. Sure, if hawks too good - you live and learn. But our best footy holds no fears.

Hawks singled out fyfe last game in Perth and got in his face and looked what happen. They will target Gray and Wingard with same tactics. Try to unsettle them. This is where experienced guys like Angus, Jay and Trengove need to not let them mentally dominate. Must beat lewis at stoppage, he is heart of their midfield. Angus defensive role on hodge. Boak will burst in this game. Homsbch on gunston. Carlile roughy. Breust worries me. But we must focus on playing port adl football and we exist to win premierships. Honourable loss not on our player and supporters mind. Sure, if hawks too good - you live and learn. But our best footy holds no fears.

Hawthorn lost by 3 goals? :p Hawthorn pulled that crap on Wingard at Adelaide Oval, lost that game too. Let them bring their so-called unsociable football. They can meet the club that invented it.

As we progress further into the finals and also as the opposition becomes Victorian I can see the umpires not paying a lot of frees we got against the Dockers. Angus Monfries for the first goal and two of Robbie Gray's for goals were definite frees but they're the kind you may or may not get in a prelim. Particularly against Hawthorn, the thinking seems to be that you have to take hits to get the ball. Well, so long as they do it both ways, the first hit being reserved for that cheap diver Mitchell.

My fear too. Is why it's so important to have a big presence at the game, to hold the umps accountable when they inevitably try to ream us.

Hawthorn lost by 3 goals? :p Hawthorn pulled that crap on Wingard at Adelaide Oval, lost that game too. Let them bring their so-called unsociable football. They can meet the club that invented it.
Sure, but they will still try it. Gray and Hartlett can get a little fiery if provoked. Hawks are experienced team and wont be shy to try whatever works. You can be sure Lake will be a right ol tosser

Sure, but they will still try it. Gray and Hartlett can get a little fiery if provoked. Hawks are experienced team and wont be shy to try whatever works. You can be sure Lake will be a right ol tosser

Fight fire with fire. Or in the true Port Adelaide tradition get the first shot in and distract them. ;)

Would be putting Angus on Birchall not Hodge. He is far more important coming out of their backline. We need to make Burgoyne, Birchall, Hodge accountable. If Gray, Wingard, Monfries and Neade are firing they won't be able to just do whatever they want.

Would be putting Angus on Birchall not Hodge. He is far more important coming out of their backline. We need to make Burgoyne, Birchall, Hodge accountable. If Gray, Wingard, Monfries and Neade are firing they won't be able to just do whatever they want.
yeah, Brichall is a their key player running from backline. Fair point. If we deliver well into our forwards and put pressure on them, then they need to worry about us!

Trengove will be very important general for us in defense too....pushing onto our half forward when we lock it in our forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocked Riloi is playing or looking at playing.. 11 weeks out? Straight into the heat and pace of finals?.
If Wingard had not played since round 15 would we be bringing him into a preliminary if he was fit? Yes, but I would hope fully fit and from all reports Hawthorn have not pushed Rioli as hard at training as some of the others. It's only Tuesday so there's time to show he has run off his hamstring. Probably going to be worth the gamble in making one of our defenders more accountable.

It would be a tragedy if Rioli pinged his hamstring 5 minutes into the first quarter running full pace picking up a ground ball.
Yes. If by tragedy, you mean LMFAO funny.

I realise we ended up failing in 2012, but the Hawks can get rattled in prelims. The advantage you have over us is we lack the sheer volume of clutch players you have at your disposal. Even if, say, Wingard goes quiet this game compared to his already great finals campaign you've got the likes of a Hartlett or Gray that can take over.

If it comes down to the final 5-10 minutes of the game I would tip Port to win it.

My concern if I were a Port supporter would be the Hawks doing what Fremantle couldn't do and thats taking their chances should they have a long period of dominance. I can't see the Hawks failing to take advantage of the amount of opportunities that Fremantle had.
The Hawks did kick 13:19 in that preliminary final against your blokes: if they do that this week, Port is in with a real chance!!!!

The Hawks did kick 13:19 in that preliminary final against your blokes: if they do that this week, Port is in with a real chance!!!!
That was with Buddy Franklin as well, if they struggle with accuracy this week without the best forward in the comp we will be in with a huge chance of progressing to the decider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Preliminary Final Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - Destiny Beckons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back