2nd Test Australia v West Indies Jan 25-29 1430hrs @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another question for the older posters on here. Marsh was a handy batting keeper before he went to WSC. After he returned from WSC I think he averaged under 20 with the bat. Was his spot ever questioned before his retirement because of his batting decline or did his glovework and overall reputation ensure his spot was never in doubt? (Fully aware expectations of keepers were different then)
From my recollection there was never any question that Marsh wasn't the best keeper so his position was not in doubt. Batting was just a bonus.

Another question for the older posters on here. Marsh was a handy batting keeper before he went to WSC. After he returned from WSC I think he averaged under 20 with the bat. Was his spot ever questioned before his retirement because of his batting decline or did his glovework and overall reputation ensure his spot was never in doubt? (Fully aware expectations of keepers were different then)

Would say the latter, given his replacements (Phillips/Dyer/Zoehrer) were far below his standards with the gloves.

I don't blame Phillips, though.

Haha wut. Smith and Green saving our arse in tricky batting conditions today.
Smith was playing anyway so not really the major issue.
The real issue is Green, and I'm not thinking he's earned his #4 spot in the first place, and not thinking he's done enough to retain his spot.

Let’s be honest Green is not a good test batter especially for a number 4. McSweeny is definitely worth a try as a good young middle order player. I wish Will Pucovski hadn’t had so many issues, he’s slowly getting back to form but needs to stop being hit in the head.

Would say the latter, given his replacements (Phillips/Dyer/Zoehrer) were far below his standards with the gloves.

I don't blame Phillips, though.
Flipper was class, they ruined him trying to turn him into a keeper.

My memories of close chases is:

1982 Border and Thomson
1992 May and McDermott
1993 vs South Africa
1998 vs England
2005 Lee and Kasprowicz
2023 Cummins and Lyon

So, not confident...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets Go Start GIF

Let’s be honest Green is not a good test batter especially for a number 4. McSweeny is definitely worth a try as a good young middle order player. I wish Will Pucovski hadn’t had so many issues, he’s slowly getting back to form but needs to stop being hit in the head.
Mcsweeney averages similar to Greens test average in 1st class.

The Green hate is actually ridiculous on here.

The first rumours about match-fixing began in the late 70s, but it only started to be taken seriously some 15 years after that.

Lillee and Marsh were guilty of being idiots, and they would have been banned for an extended period in the modern era, but I wouldn't say they stopped trying their best.
I agree with your view about idiots but they showed no integrity. Not good enough in my view.

As for match fixing I saw a lot of dodgy things but it never crossed my mind that a cricket match would be fixed (too many variables in a team game). Having said that an ODI against the Windies at the MCG where Mark Waugh took 5 wickets always, and still does for me, had the aura of being fixed. Maybe it wasn't because as far as I know this match wasn't investigated. A look at some of the dismissals may give you pause to think it was fixed.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd Test Australia v West Indies Jan 25-29 1430hrs @ the Gabba

Back