Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine getting pick 3 for McKay and having this fella waiting in the wings.
****ing lol. What a win
Chom > McKay for me….. I am quietly hopefully that Teakle in the short term, and Finnbar long term term can really lock in on that athletic hit up CHF/2nd ruck role who clunks marks. Don’t need to be a prolific goal kicker, just draw opponents out of the arc and allow Larkey some space to work in, and also a huge benefit to guys like Zurhaar and Curtis. I don’t think it’s any coincidence we are seeing Zurhaars best games now that Teakle has come in. That all comes from getting Charlie on the park and firing, and who knows down the track, could well swing forward now and then and circumstances dictate.

He has been a good interceptor, but an average defender. He can work either end, with Dawson looking solid in his first year and Logue coming back, he doesn't need to be a defender.
Interceptors are worth their weight in gold, theres no better way to stop a team scoring. Given he's only just started learning the role i would've thought average defender is pretty damn good, he'll get better over the coming years so average is an awesome starting point.

Can he become a good forward? My word he can, as i said he's got it all, except goal kicking which im sure he'd improved as well. As i said its not like he's a poor kick.

However, the flip side is a key forward is knocked around a hell of a lot more. I dont fully know the state of his condition with broken bones but its something we need to consider.

He has been a good interceptor, but an average defender. He can work either end, with Dawson looking solid in his first year and Logue coming back, he doesn't need to be a defender.

Most of the Chom as a forward crowd have jumped ship now. They've seen the light! It's not too late...

Just on the moving him forward part - i totally agree it seems hard to justify.

He does have all the attributes to be a key forward except for goal kicking and perhaps some of that was nerves in the past. Its not like he's a bad kick by any stretch.

But at 22 in his first season at the role and to be knocking on the door of the AA squad its no little thing. To have him lock down that role for the next 8 years or so and build a defense around him is massive.

And aside from that, it just looks easy for him down back. Both play wise and more importantly easier on his body.

His precious precious body

Most of the Chom as a forward crowd have jumped ship now. They've seen the light! It's not too late...
Interesting one you know……to me it’s all a matter of balance. We’ve won 1 game this season with a full season of Charlie in the back line. We won the first two last season with Charlie in the forward line ( he played 7 games). I’m not saying that is statistically significant at all. BUT I do think our turn of form the last 3 weeks is having a guy like Teakle come in and be able to play that hit up chf/second ruck role (that Charlie was playing as a forward last year). That role doesn’t require kicking a lot of goals (which I think a lot of people base their assessment of Charlie as a forward on), but being able to take a grab, create a contest, and create space inside the arc for Larkey, Zurhaar, and Curtis. To me Charlie plays that role very well and as a young KPP would only get better. He also plays the Key defensive role very well too. We are lucky to have him, and I for one don’t pidgeon hole him but think he can be very valuable at either end as a genuine swing man. It all depends on how the rest of our young KPP develop and what’s best for the club.

WOW.

What a guy.

This has to be driven from Charlie himself.

Every manager in the game would have been instructing him to wait until about Round 5-6 of next year and let the OOC news cycle build and market interest build for his first major contract.

I've no doubt he's probably taken unders to what we would have been forced to pay in 12 months time.
If I was his manager, considering his injury history, then I'd be locking in the money as soon as the club was happy to come to the table with a good enough offer.

WOW.

What a guy.

This has to be driven from Charlie himself.

Every manager in the game would have been instructing him to wait until about Round 5-6 of next year and let the OOC news cycle build and market interest build for his first major contract.

I've no doubt he's probably taken unders to what we would have been forced to pay in 12 months time.
100% this,,,,,,,I love this kid. Can just tell by his emotions and reactions on the ground how invested he is. He plays footy for his team, his mates, the club faithful, and the jumper. He’ll end up financially well off regardless of who he plays for. There is a genuine belief in loyalty, following the harder path, and the long term success it will bring. Will go down as a great part of our clubs history and story. Of that I’m confident and hope others see that too.

There we have it, finally it has happened.

The club sees him as an integral structural player.

Players like uniacke might win us a final when all the chips are down.

Players like comben ensures we are in a winning position or close enough to winning.

If I was his manager, considering his injury history, then I'd be locking in the money as soon as the club was happy to come to the table with a good enough offer.
Good for both parties then. He's last deal would've been massive unders to what he's delivering. He gets more, we get longer and good faith from all parties.

There we have it, finally it has happened.

The club sees him as an integral structural player.

Players like uniacke might win us a final when all the chips are down.

Players like comben ensures we are in a winning position or close enough to winning.
No team is paying finals without their fair share of gun mids.
LDU is as important to us as any teams best mid is to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is up there with the George news from today as well.
I’m so darn happy..just bouncing along the footpath to car..
So happy for big Charlie….here’s to many more magnificent games…heart and soul player.
It’s just so right 💙🤍👏

No team is paying finals without their fair share of gun mids.
LDU is as important to us as any teams best mid is to them.

He aint achieving without the rest of the support cast.

In other words, with the right support cast, A graders are easy to be formed.

And Larkey and Jy who’ve already committed long term, and Will Phil (who wants to stay)!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Prob phillips and scott are next in line to extend.

Would be surprised as to why scott has been offered thus far as he is quite important to the stability of the team.

He seems to have been around for quite a while and he's only 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back