Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people seem to have no clue how valuable it is to have an elite interceptor in defence. It's not like they grow on trees. They don't just spoil the ball with the potential that the opposition still scores. They completely stop 8-10 attacks a game and then launch the other way.

You just don't play them on guys who are 12kg heavier like Sam Day. Either way, pretty sure the commentators said Comben hadn't had many kicked on him since the bye.

What i liked about Comben getting beaten in those contests in the 1st qtr is that he was absolutely filthy with himself! Just the sort of character I like to see in a key backman. He will learn from these experiences, no doubt!

Btw ive admitted it a left field idea and a long shot with all sorts of if n butts. Its more a case if you dont ask you dont receive.

Imagine Cameron taking Pink's spot in the current forward set up. We're finals ready.

I think Jeremy Cameron would retire rather than be traded from Geelong. Loves the lifestyle and very settled.

From a footy perspective, with Hawkins set to leave, the Cats will want to hang on to their ageing warriors as well.

Some people seem to have no clue how valuable it is to have an elite interceptor in defence. It's not like they grow on trees. They don't just spoil the ball with the potential that the opposition still scores. They completely stop 8-10 attacks a game and then launch the other way.

You just don't play them on guys who are 12kg heavier like Sam Day. Either way, pretty sure the commentators said Comben hadn't had many kicked on him since the bye.
I reckon the return of Logue to defense will bring instant results with the intercept marking in his game.

What i liked about Comben getting beaten in those contests in the 1st qtr is that he was absolutely filthy with himself! Just the sort of character I like to see in a key backman. He will learn from these experiences, no doubt!
Not only that, he kept his head up and didn't go into his shell for the rest of the game and had 10 intercepts.

I was all onboard with sending back and keeping him back while we hunt FAs for a forward.

But looking at any FA/ RFA forwards for 26 theres really nothing other than trying to move interstate players who are locals (not going to happen).

So yeah he's most obvious but i do worry about the body holding up to the extra abuse a forward gets.

Id like to see us make a play for J.Cameron not sure how feasible that is. Scott for Cameron would seen reasonable id have thought. First he and the cats would have to believe they aint winning any flags in the next few years. He'd play the Pink role. Then Elmo, W.Dawson and CCJ fighting it out for CHF or two of them if Larkey goes down.

Duursma learning from Cameron would be huge and can take his spot forward in a few years. Until then HB or Wing to get him more involved.

If not then Chom may well have to more forward. Theres really no gettable quality forward options im seeing tbh.

I'm sorry, but Geelong isn't giving up a Coleman winning, premiership playing 31 year old KPF for Bailey Scott.

Foward line priority 1
Defence priority 2
Midfield priority 3

Pick 1 - Trainor
Pick 2 - kpf/small fwd
Pick 3 - small fwd/kpf

Chom to CHF, Gus to CHB.
Draft picks develop in VFL. Kpf for depth, much needed small forward. If the right kpf/small fwd is on the board, I'd trade a f2 to nail him.

Cumming UFA to upgrade a wing.

Dawson - Corr - Archer
Fisher - Logue - Lmac
Cumming - LDU - McKercher
Zurhaar - Chom - Simpkin
Curtis - Larkey - Duursma

Xerri - Wardlaw - Sheezel

Powell - Phillips - Ford - Scott

Sub - Stephens

I still think Chom is best played up forward for team balance.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Corr has been a better defender against better opposition. I love Chom, but he has only been so-so as a defender. He can only get better as a defender if they choose to keep going down that path but I have that nagging feeling that he is just too much of an instinct player to really grasp the nuances of a good defender.
Gonna be interesting,,,,,Kennedy played Longmire in Defence early on (in fact I can remember Clarko lining up at full forward under Kennedy)......Petrie also played at CHB early on too, Tarrant was switched to the back line as we were well stocked for forwards. Corr is playing well and has a few years left, Logue to come back in, W Dawson looks to have a big future, K Dawson doing everything right. While he's doing everything right in Defence right now, the way he throws himself at the contest I can't help think Charlie looks like a natural alpha key forward, even reminds me of Carey at times. Plenty are suggesting we go after a key forward in this draft. Personally think there's good options there down the order a bit. So if the club were to pick up Trainor, probably strongly suggests we have every intention of switching Charlie forward. If nothing else playing back has given him and his team mates belief.

I'm sorry, I may have read that incorrectly - but are you saying you think Geelong would trade Jeremy Cameron in a straight swap for Bailey Scott???

However, if I have read that correctly, then there is no way that Geelong would remotely entertain that!
Not a trade I think we should be entertaining either.....trading a very good young player, for a short term stop gap star. I'd much rather try for Cadman with draft capital.

Not a trade I think we should be entertaining either.....trading a very good young player, for a short term stop gap star. I'd much rather try for Cadman with draft capital.
I know you didnt say it, but first im mocked because Scott is way unders and then as many people agree with you Scott is way overs for a 32yo stop gap.
Yet nobody thinks it would be about right.
Look i doubt as much as anyone it'll happen (saying it again), but he'd offer way more than just a stop gap. Imagine how the confidence the group would grow and the lessons he could pass to Duursma, Ford, Curtis, Elmo and the likes.

With a handful of games left in 2024, why not play Chom up forward just to see what happens? If it works, great, no need to target a key forward moving forward - Pink & Teakle can play VFL as back-ups next year. If it doesn't work, we lock Chom into defence next year & focus on trading/drafting a key forward to help Souva.

Pretty simple if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a handful of games left in 2024, why not play Chom up forward just to see what happens? If it works, great, no need to target a key forward moving forward - Pink & Teakle can play VFL as back-ups next year. If it doesn't work, we lock Chom into defence next year & focus on trading/drafting a key forward to help Souva.

Already trying Wil Dawson as a key forward after a solid start to his VFL career as a defender. I think that’s the sign towards Comben staying back.

Al clarko will do it at some point I assume he wants Logue back in the side . And fyi I cannot wait for this change of direction.

I was all onboard with sending back and keeping him back while we hunt FAs for a forward.

But looking at any FA/ RFA forwards for 26 theres really nothing other than trying to move interstate players who are locals (not going to happen).

So yeah he's most obvious but i do worry about the body holding up to the extra abuse a forward gets.

Id like to see us make a play for J.Cameron not sure how feasible that is. Scott for Cameron would seen reasonable id have thought. First he and the cats would have to believe they aint winning any flags in the next few years. He'd play the Pink role. Then Elmo, W.Dawson and CCJ fighting it out for CHF or two of them if Larkey goes down.

Duursma learning from Cameron would be huge and can take his spot forward in a few years. Until then HB or Wing to get him more involved.

If not then Chom may well have to more forward. Theres really no gettable quality forward options im seeing tbh.
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

With a handful of games left in 2024, why not play Chom up forward just to see what happens?

He breaks his leg and misses most of 2025 yay

He's not a CHF, he's no good fwd, he can't play fwd.

Blah, blah ****en blah.

Don't move him from down back, Logue isn't ready.

It's a General Cluster **** of calls around these parts. Fair dinkum

What a gun CHF.

Ready for youse ts put up your hand cause 90% of this board got it well wrong .

The acurate one yet again :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back