Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrap him in cotton wool now. Get that shoulder fixed up and have him fit and firing for a massive pre-season. Nothing to gain from working him into the ground
Nah it a huge game for Charlie next week, 26 broken bones and it will be 27 AFL games.

Yep more AFL games than broken bones. Should have his own banner :p

That's fine and dandy, please tell me the plan for the below :)

View attachment 2067213
View attachment 2067217

Now I'm not saying anything about those two, just we need another KPF. And when Logue comes back?

He definitely plays forward for us next year. No brainer. Logue and the Dawson brothers down back.

This year is less about winning and more about clarko swinging the magnets and giving the young players ample games to prove themselves for contracts.

key fwds are harder to come by but easier to settle in once the rest of the team is up and running.

Free agency it will be, there will always be those needing a second chance like hogan and waite.

a tad simplistic, while I feel FA's will be interested in joining us, be difficult to get a gun fwd as an FA.

And again we have Logue, Corr, W Dawson, K Dawson and Comben, my mind struggles to understand the BF thought processes.

Up fwd we Larkey and Teakle as the second ruck fwd.

He definitely plays forward for us next year. No brainer. Logue and the Dawson brothers down back.

This year is less about winning and more about clarko swinging the magnets and giving the young players ample games to prove themselves for contracts.

Hope so C4L, super exciting times ahead

He has done enough for the year now!

I have no idea how he played after watching him at training this week. He looks just as sore today as he did at training yet somehow still got up.

Give him an extra few weeks off. Get the shoulders and groin cleaned out ready for day 1 of pre-season.

If he stays in defence next year and performed the same as this year, would be a walk up All Australian CHB.

We have unearthed a star this year!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

a tad simplistic, while I feel FA's will be interested in joining us, be difficult to get a gun fwd as an FA.

And again we have Logue, Corr, W Dawson, K Dawson and Comben, my mind struggles to understand the BF thought processes.

Up fwd we Larkey and Teakle as the second ruck fwd.

we don't really need a gun forwad, just a key forward who needs opportunities and we need to pounch on them as they appear. Similarly, in later rounds of draft this year we should be able to pick up a few.

what's happened to his marking the last few weeks? still getting his hands to the footy but fumbling ones he was marking a month ago. still having an influence but it's noticeably dropped off a litttle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what's happened to his marking the last few weeks? still getting his hands to the footy but fumbling ones he was marking a month ago. still having an influence but it's noticeably dropped off a litttle

Been playing with a crook shoulder all year, which I think has gotten worse lately. That'd be my guess.

If he's right play him next week vs West coast in a winnable game then maybe give him an early off season last 2 games
I'd even be tempted to give him a rest now - after most contests yesterday, he looked like one of those cartoon characters that stands up only to fall apart into component pieces.

Too valuable to run into the ground in the dying embers of this season

I'd even be tempted to give him a rest now - after most contests yesterday, he looked like one of those cartoon characters that stands up only to fall apart into component pieces.

Too valuable to run into the ground in the dying embers of this season

I can see an argument both ways. There would be a huge mental relief for him to see through a full season.

If he's right play him next week vs West coast in a winnable game then maybe give him an early off season last 2 games
With the amount of footy he has missed i doubt he will want a rest. I would hate to have to be the one to tell him your having a spell for the last 2 games. But in all seriousness you are probably right.

If Charlie can get through to the end of the season without any more damage being done to his body then we jab him up and play him, if not then rest him now. K.Dawson can take his spot and Pink can play back also if needed as W.Dawson can come in to cover Pink if he needs to go back. Maybe if time for Finbar to come into the side for a couple of games..

If Charlie can get through to the end of the season without any more damage being done to his body then we jab him up and play him, if not then rest him now. K.Dawson can take his spot and Pink can play back also if needed as W.Dawson can come in to cover Pink if he needs to go back. Maybe if time for Finbar to come into the side for a couple of games..
Yeah this.

So long as there's no permanent damage this pain barrier stuff is making him into a real warrior.

But the onus is on the club to make sure there will be no long term damage to him. Including, to an extent, after footy.

He stays down back pls
Totally agree and with Louge play him at Centre Half Forward with Teakle a Tall Forward pocket then keep developing Will Dawson as a backman to eventually to replace Corr.
As for possible of Drafting a Trainor ? Think we need a small forward maybe Jagga Smith or do we go for a Owies/Jack Martin.

Totally agree and with Louge play him at Centre Half Forward with Teakle a Tall Forward pocket then keep developing Will Dawson as a backman to eventually to replace Corr.
As for possible of Drafting a Trainor ? Think we need a small forward maybe Jagga Smith or do we go for a Owies/Jack Martin.

20 disposals, 9 marks , 8 rebound 50, 81% disposal efficiency and regardless of being completely sore and injured, he stayed out there 95% TOG. He was crucial to our win.

He will get hurt way easier up forward. He launches at the ball and we actually looked way better down back even with no Griffen, Fish etc

Sure maybe he goes up forward eventually but he is a juggernaut back there.

It's 100% about the risk factor of making the damage worse. If it's just a pain issue then with half a groin and one arm he's going to be better than any replacement could be, but if there is a risk that the damage could become worse and threaten his future (short term or otherwise!) then cotton ball him and get him in for the surgeries ASAP. He'd be upset about not making it through to the end of the season, but he has his whole career in front of him and knows just how much the club values him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back