Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - has triggered an extension for 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give you nah. What part of "I dare say the negativity in this thread wouldn’t be as pronounced as it currently is." don't you comprehend? Did I say there wouldn't be no negativity? :stern look
You said it "stems from the fact that we lack recognised key defenders on our list. A product of poor list management over the last number of years."

I don't disagree about the poor list management in general but the negativity would be here anyway.

The negativity stems from the fact that we lack recognised key defenders on our list. A product of poor list management over the last number of years. McKay all but gone. Logue out injured for a large part of 2024 and Corr who is more suited in the third tall roll are arguably our only recognised key position players. Dawson is anything but recognised. If say McKay had stayed and Pink was being brought in as a back up, I dare say the negativity in this thread wouldn’t be as pronounced as it currently is. :stern look

There’s an element of paying the piper for previous list management decisions.

We were light for KPD.

There’s no way would could have foreseen the Logue injury.

There’s also no way we should stop the McKay FA compo heist we’re doing either.

McKay is buy high sell higher. If we keep him we’ll never have this sort of deal again.

Reckon the plan was more that Logue wouldn’t be injured and we’d still be bringing in some state level backmen.

Maybe we find 1 with Pink or Dawson. We’re more than overdue for a bloke to come from no where and be alright.

You said it "stems from the fact that we lack recognised key defenders on our list. A product of poor list management over the last number of years."

I don't disagree about the poor list management in general but the negativity would be here anyway.
Yes the primary reason for the negativity in this thread stems due to the frustration born from poor list management. However I did not say there wouldn’t be negativity in the thread. So once again I’ll give you “Nah”. Your response should’ve been Yes but. Not Nah. :stern look

We were light for KPD.

McKay is buy high sell higher. If we keep him we’ll never have this sort of deal again.

Reckon the plan was more that Logue wouldn’t be injured and we’d still be bringing in some state level backmen.

Maybe we find 1 with Pink or Dawson. We’re more than overdue for a bloke to come from no where and be alright.
This post is fair. I’m on record as saying, yeah sure let McKay walk as long as we have an adequate replacement coming in. Is Pink an adequate replacement? Could Phillips be an adequate replacement? They are currently State League players for a reason. :stern look

This post is fair. I’m on record as saying, yeah sure let McKay walk as long as we have an adequate replacement coming in. Is Pink an adequate replacement? Could Phillips be an adequate replacement? They are currently State League players for a reason. :stern look
They might be great moneyball picks, but I would feel a lot better if we added someone with a demonstrated capacity to play as a key defender at an AFL level too.

Surely between our massive pick bounty and the huge amount of salary cap space available we can find someone with demonstrated competence who’s been demoted behind an a-grader.

He's not yet "ours" though, right? Nothing signed or official.
Surely the SA clubs go after him, the Crows need someone to replace Doedee, and Port's lack of KPDs is as bad as us.
This may have been asked already sorry if it has but how did we end up getting him who choice was it and obviously someone has been doing their home work. This is of course if we do get him but it looks likely by the sound of things.

ZJaZiOAffnVeYdZZ8j9MjRjtWgh3V1.jpg

Toby Pink? Sounds like Toby Pussy. Let him be Toby Purple. Sounds good to me.

Lucky there wasn’t a few of you around when Scott Thompson was drafted
What sort of argument is this? Thompson was 21 when drafted. Drafted! With a number of sides interested in him. The recently retired Issac Smith is another example of a young player in the State Leagues drafted. Newcombe is a mid season acquisition drafted just after we took Edwards. He was a 19 years old at the time. Pink is 25. Has been playing State League Football for a number of years. There is a difference. :stern look

Sure he may turn out to be OK but for every James Podsiadly there are a plethora of Lachie Hosies out there. :stern look

They’re the best state league players in the country. The Logue ACL is frustrating but it really is short term.

In terms of adequate replacements, curious as to what this is? Pay Esava 700k and trade a first for him? BZT who’s arguably no better then state level. If you’re able to find a 200cm defender with 8 years in an afl system hidden somewhere, let me know.
:sternlook 🥴

We were light for KPD.

The is the price of poor list management by having poor or no depth in KPP. We can't cover KPPs going down very well.

You have to assume you are at risk of anyone going down or multiple people going down, how do you cover that. The fact Logue went down round 17 and we didn't play Dawson until round 24 is a different and equally problematic issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are currently State League players for a reason. :stern look
On the flip side, they may have shown to recruiters that they're good enough to be on an AFL list.

This is an opportunity to blood a few KPDs and see which fits into the Clarko system. It’s not great for our win loss record but it’ll be worthwhile if we can find a long termer for chips this year. Need to bring in three this year which might be Pink Curtin and then one more.

Richmond plucked Tyler young out of the state leagues and played him all year.
Reckon Pink is a better player than him already.
We aren't going to stop at him either, expecting 3-4 new additions to the backline this year.
Stuff the naysayers
Goater, Bergman & Fisher rebounding Archer lockdown. Only have Corr with Logue out until at least mid season? Curtin?, Pink?, Dawson and possibly even Comben used as key backmen

They’re the best state league players in the country. The Logue ACL is frustrating but it really is short term.

In terms of adequate replacements, curious as to what this is? Pay Esava 700k and trade a first for him? BZT who’s arguably no better then state level. If you’re able to find a 200cm defender with 8 years in an afl system hidden somewhere, let me know.
:sternlook 🥴
What part of “as long as” don’t you understand? :stern look

I don't have an issue with recruiting mature heads from state level leagues, in fact I openly encourage it. The only thing I hope for is we don't assume we've patched up our KPD issues with one random most here didn't know about until we signed him. Would still like us to take a KPD within the first 2 rounds of this draft.

I don't have an issue with recruiting mature heads from state level leagues, in fact I openly encourage it. The only thing I hope for is we don't assume we've patched up our KPD issues with one random most here didn't know about until we signed him. Would still like us to take a KPD within the first 2 rounds of this draft.
we haven't signed him. until he does, he's not ours

Whole lot of whinging and stern looking without really offering alternatives
So it seems I will have to dumb down my previous postings so a Simpleton like yourself might understand what my point is. :stern look

Firstly let me remind you what I previously posted. “I’m on record as saying, yeah sure let McKay walk as long as we have an adequate replacement coming in.” :stern look

The thing is we didn’t even offer McKay a contract. No offer. Well if we are letting him walk for pick 3 then make sure we have an adequate replacement coming in. Has that happened? If no adequate replacement is coming in then that’s poor list management. A lack of forward planning. A lack of foresight. Capeesh Ironstein? :stern look

You can’t just let McKay walk and then go to the State Leagues and hope that the likes of Pink will be able to fill the void. Look at our list Bright Spark. Logue out injured for much of 2024. Corr more of a third tall. Dawson has only played a handful of games. Comben has not played back since being at the club. McKay all but gone. As it currently stands we have no decent seasoned key defenders that will be on our list available for much of the 2024 season. Zero! :stern look

Hopefully the above has been dumbed down enough for you to understand. My testicles are crossed for you. :stern look

So it seems I will have to dumb down my previous postings so a Simpleton like yourself might understand what my point is. :stern look

Firstly let me remind you what I previously posted. “I’m on record as saying, yeah sure let McKay walk as long as we have an adequate replacement coming in.” :stern look

The thing is we didn’t even offer McKay a contract. No offer. Well if we are letting him walk for pick 3 then make sure we have an adequate replacement coming in. Has that happened? If no adequate replacement is coming in then that’s poor list management. A lack of forward planning. A lack of foresight. Capeesh Ironstein? :stern look

You can’t just let McKay walk and then go to the State Leagues and hope that the likes of Pink will be able to fill the void. Look at our list Bright Spark. Logue out injured for much of 2024. Corr more of a third tall. Dawson has only played a handful of games. Comben has not played back since being at the club. McKay all but gone. As it currently stands we have no decent seasoned key defenders that will be on our list available for much of the 2024 season. Zero! :stern look

Hopefully the above has been dumbed down enough for you to understand. My testicles are crossed for you. :stern look
I do understand. You’ve come here to p*** and moan in hindsight about what the club has/hasn’t done. Whilst neglecting the why and without offering any real idea of what they should do.

Newsflash, we have had four different football programs since 2019. Four! How the f*** can you expect thorough “forward planning”?

Clarkson decided within a few months of walking into the place that McKay wasn’t “on the bus”. Not sure the likes of Rawlings and Clayton could have foreseen that.

Logue was a good pick up. Do I think we should have drafted a couple young KPPs between 2020 and 2023? Sure, even though they probably wouldn’t be ready to play round 1 next year as an AFL KPD… But I also appreciate that there could be a number of reasons as to why we haven’t (coaches at the time, confusion around list strategy, lack of quality KPPs available at picks etc.).

If you want to point the finger at someone for not trying to retain Ben, point it at Ben himself, the clubs horrendous admin/management from 2017-2022 and Alastair Clarkson.

I think I’ll back Clarkson though. He think we are better off with Pick 3 and to rebuild the back 6 without Ben, who am I to disagree with that.

Stern 🥴🥴 Look 🥴🥴

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #32: Toby Pink - has triggered an extension for 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back