Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixed. :thumbsu:

Pick 96 is a nothing pick - there will be no players taken in that region. I suspect the only reason the trade went ahead was to give a kid an opportunity at another club, hence the trade for pick 96.

If he makes it, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, no harm done. Still, if I were a Roo, I'd rather the club take a punt on a kid with more upside in the draft (probably a fifth round selection) than pick up a Davies type.

Exactly, well said

Look, it's clear our recruiting staff followed his career and watched plenty of VFL games. We need running midfielders who can win their own ball. He seems to fit that role. Of course you'd rathre a Judd or a Joel Corey or similar, but since non were available, we got a guy who has plenty to prove.

BTW, we now have 3 blokes on our list who won a B&F at a VFL club in 2007. That has to be a first for anyone.

Look, it's clear our recruiting staff followed his career and watched plenty of VFL games. We need running midfielders who can win their own ball. He seems to fit that role. Of course you'd rathre a Judd or a Joel Corey or similar, but since non were available, we got a guy who has plenty to prove.

BTW, we now have 3 blokes on our list who won a B&F at a VFL club in 2007. That has to be a first for anyone.

Spot on:
Quote Dean Laidley
Ben Davies. "Our recruiters have watched him all year and he won the Williamstown best and fairest, and we just thought that with his running capacity, and he's a quality young kid, we just want to give him a second opportunity at AFL football."

It isn't as if it just popped out of no where, obviously he has had eyes firmly placed on his progress and your guys assessed that he was worth taking a punt on.
A punt I think will ultimately pay off, if not, damn.... there goes pick 96 :rolleyes:

Fixed. :thumbsu:

Pick 96 is a nothing pick - there will be no players taken in that region. I suspect the only reason the trade went ahead was to give a kid an opportunity at another club, hence the trade for pick 96.

If he makes it, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, no harm done. Still, if I were a Roo, I'd rather the club take a punt on a kid with more upside in the draft (probably a fifth round selection) than pick up a Davies type.

Collingwood will use that pick for their father-son selection, given nobody showed interest in him they can use their last pick to take him, which is now 96.

Kicking is nowhere near as bad as is being highlighted in this thread either
That depends on how bad the earlier descriptions of his kicking is interpreted. His skills are ordinary, but he tries hard, and was very good at VFL level this season. He could have been given at least one chance to play in the seniors this year to see how he went.

Pick 96 is really risking nothing. Happy to have a gamble here. Never heard of the kid to be honest but lets hope he can take his chance and add a bit of needed pace.

Good luck to Ben.

The incident was blown out of proportion and his attack on the ball is very good. There was one incident I remember where he ran against the flight of the ball and jumped really high just to knock the ball away from the pack and ended up landing on his neck.

He did this, or a simliar act, in the same game. Shaw on 3AW gave his some "Play of the Day" thingy for his act of courage to make up for his pulling out effort ("which he will learn from the young boy").

I saw Ben out last night. Spoke to him just quickley, he is rapt to get another shot at it. Really happy and ready to give his all, attitude is not an issue*

* based on a 2 minute drunken chat.

I like the sounds of him.
Not injured>>>>>>urch
not fat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcconnell
stamaina>>>>>>>>>>>>wymann
blue collar worker>>>>>>>>>hughes

I think he will be a good addition to our onballer division,as we needed some depth this year as when swallow was struggling .he stay in as there was noone pressuring him to come in.

We are talking about pick 96 here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish we had of got Callan too....That would have made 4 I think as he won the Geelong BF I heard on the radio 2day.

Callan will be good for the doggies

Davies is a good VFL player. Personally, I don't think he's up to AFL level and can't see him being of much use to North. Then again, you've basically got him for free, so it's a riskless investment from your point of view.

Good luck to him.

You will see davies in our comeback game against the pies in 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3atFsWYUw

Thanks, giantroo. For some reason I thought he had black hair.

I liked the way he was running to get into the action. His kick to the hff was classic Malthouse. If you can't be sure of hitting the target make sure it's a 50/50. Then seconds later, no shame in having your kick smothered by Arch.

When Collingwood bombed it in, how good was Pratt's pressure mark (shades of Johnny Blakey) and 50 metre pass to Wellsy, to Boomer to Thommo.

GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!!!

Eddie McGuire in the box after the siren :mad:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back