Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen all his senior games. Thought at first he looked a pretty good prospect, although his later games he looked a bit lost - might reflect lower confidence, or the fact Collingwood got some kids who looked so comfortable so early in their careers he suffered by comparison. Worth another try at this pick.

(this is coming from a Collingwood supporter)

As you said, in the games he played he tended to get a little bit lost simply because he seemed to get played out of position IMO. People commenting on here are being pretty harsh and I can imagine of the ones commenting they have ethier never seen him or seen very little of him.
He has absolutely no problem finding the ball, as you can see by watching him in the VFL. But as you can imagine he spends the majority of his in the midfield there, in the clinches where he does his best work. His transition to AFL was made a little bit harder because he wasn't really played in the role he was groomed for (which isn't unusual, it is hard to simply walk into an AFL midfield at any club) and I think this is why some of the time he tended to look a little bit lost.
I think the other reason was when he did finally start to break through into the team he always played a bit hesitantly, wasn't allowed to fully play his own game and be a key figure like he is in the VFL. Its the whole thing of 'okay lets bring up our best VFL player at the moment, but play him in the forward pocket. If he doesn't perform and get 15+ touches and kick multiple goals then he obviously isn't up to it'.

Personally I think with a chance to play his best footy at the top level, with no fall back or false ideals of more years in the system he'll snap up a chance to do his thing at the top level.
And if he doesn't, so what? You guys used pick 96... I'd take him before most kids after the 50 pick mark in the draft anyway, it isn't as if you have given up or risked anything.
He was one of the best players in the VFL this year, probably in the top 5, yeah a lot of people say its a big gap from VFL to AFL... But its a massive gap between TAC and AFL as well. If your going to have a punt on a young bloke, who is pretty collected, great endeavour, tough at the ball, has natural skills football skills and has no problem finding the ball... Who also has a couple of years under his belt training with an AFL club, which equals extra body training over a lot of others, for example his endurance would be far better then a lot of other. So I think its definitely worth a punt, if nothing else, at least he'll get a chance with you guys.
It was no secret to everyone at Collingwood that Malthouse has made his choice about Davies halfway through the year and he was never going to get a chance... Which I thought was massively unfair. But Malthouse obviously saw enough him in to hold onto him for those years, and play him a few times, but I think he just resigned to playing the blokes like Marty Clarke and Pendlebury before him... Left Davies with slim pickings

I hope it ends up working out, one things for sure, he'll definitely leave no stone unturned in trying to play and do his best for you guys. He has heart, a second chance might just be what he needs.

Best of luck with it guys

I rate him very very highley he will be a great steal for North he will win plenty of the ball and his skills arnt as bad as every one puts on he didnt get a game at Collingwood because MM hated his guts he was consistent all year and played some great games you got yourself a decent player North

He ran back with the flight of the ball, put his hands up to get it but kinda ducked his head in fear of what was running at him from behind.

It was SFA if I remember correctly, and was massively taken out of proportion, I've never seen him squib playing at Willy, wouldn't read into this at all.

While I disagree with the bloke who said MM would never play him again, why would he retain him if that was the case, but I also kinda think MM had resigned to not playing him early in the year... Which was massively unfair IMO, deserved a better opportunity because he had earnt it, where as someone like Guy Richards was managing to get a call up week in week out.

Kicking is nowhere near as bad as is being highlighted in this thread either

and was massively taken out of proportion

IIRC if not for Gary Lyon attention seeking, commenting on it 5 times nobody would have noticed.

Anyway as others have said, he is hard, loves to run, gets alot of it and is a decent kick.

There's nothing wrong with him, he's just no superstar so I guess we just cut our losses.

IMO he could work out alot like a McMahon.

IIRC if not for Gary Lyon attention seeking, commenting on it 5 times nobody would have noticed.

Anyway as others have said, he is hard, loves to run, gets alot of it and is a decent kick.

There's nothing wrong with him, he's just no superstar so I guess we just cut our losses.

IMO he could work out alot like a McMahon.
If he's anything like Scott then l'm prepared to give him a go :thumbsu:. He cant be all bad to win willys B&F

how old is he?

he has the trait of a north player (courageous... not scared to put his head over the footy or back into packs)
maybe dean can make a player out of him

i think he stepped away from a tackle or a contest or something, cant really remember.

of course its bullsh1t though as he wouldve been delisted last year if that was true.

he's a good player imo, ball magnet, kicking is not too much of an issue.

Thanks. Hopefully he can play some good footy for us in the midfield.

I like the ball magnet reference. We don't need a tagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davies is a good player only problem is that Collingwood's youngsters stepped up and we had too many of his type on our list. Given an oppurtunity he will be a good pick up. You got him for nothing, Roos or Pies would not have/will not use that pick. Even if did would not get a ready made player like Ben. Both clubs should be applauded for getting him to a club as we would have certainly delisted him. I really wish him well. He is second player that has left club that i cannot hate. Interstingly other also became a Roo, Sav Rocca.

He ran back with the flight of the ball, put his hands up to get it but kinda ducked his head in fear of what was running at him from behind.

It was SFA if I remember correctly, and was massively taken out of proportion, I've never seen him squib playing at Willy, wouldn't read into this at all.

While I disagree with the bloke who said MM would never play him again, why would he retain him if that was the case, but I also kinda think MM had resigned to not playing him early in the year... Which was massively unfair IMO, deserved a better opportunity because he had earnt it, where as someone like Guy Richards was managing to get a call up week in week out.

Kicking is nowhere near as bad as is being highlighted in this thread either

The incident was blown out of proportion and his attack on the ball is very good. There was one incident I remember where he ran against the flight of the ball and jumped really high just to knock the ball away from the pack and ended up landing on his neck.

I don't think he got a game in 2007 because MM was looking for him to step up and show he can fulfill a specific role at Willy or improve his deficiencies.

If I can convince 75-77-96-99 to do the matty campbell player reports because he was the 1 who claimed flash, i would like to do the ben davies player review.

know the family well and would be able to get some good analysis on the kid.

I hope Ben does alright at north, know the family very well and he wont care if its the lexus centre or arden st, a blue collar family and will work hard for this opportunity.

I thought Ben actually showed a fair bit of promise in 2005-06. In his last game for us against Hawthorn he ever so slightly ducked his head in a marking contest and the herald sun ran a double page frame by frame spread on it. It was disgraceful and completely unfair. You will find that he is actually quite willing to put his body on the line, and he did so many times in his twelve games for us.

I hope you guys give him a chance. In 2005 I thought he was quite likely to go on to have a solid career. His ball winning abilities cannot be questioned. If given the opportunity, he will amass 30 possession games, I'm sure of it. His disposal is a weakness, but I would describe it as erratic rather than poor. I've certainly seen worse kicks in the black and white than him.

He won't care about facilities or anything like that, he will just try his best to find a role in your team. I hope he does well.

it's not like we were going to get anything for pick 96...
hopefully a good depth player

Fixed. :thumbsu:

Pick 96 is a nothing pick - there will be no players taken in that region. I suspect the only reason the trade went ahead was to give a kid an opportunity at another club, hence the trade for pick 96.

If he makes it, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, no harm done. Still, if I were a Roo, I'd rather the club take a punt on a kid with more upside in the draft (probably a fifth round selection) than pick up a Davies type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back