Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't minded Davies when I've seen him. Collingwood have lots of his type (but I guess so do we).

We gave up nothing for him so I'm happy enough to have him at North.

Lol, that was exactly my thinking when I saw that we'd traded for him. The image of him driving into our carpark where the betting shed used to stand, behind where the old condemned grandstand stood once, looking across to the portables we have left after the fire, and the look on his face!!!!!! Priceless! :D

T'toes

lol, that is exactly the same thing I first thought of when he was traded.

Lol, that was exactly my thinking when I saw that we'd traded for him. The image of him driving into our carpark where the betting shed used to stand, behind where the old condemned grandstand stood once, looking across to the portables we have left after the fire, and the look on his face!!!!!! Priceless! :D

T'toes
You think so? He isn't exactly Judd or Buckley. Being a blue collar player, I think he wouldn't even notice the facilities and will jump straight into it. This kid will fight like hell for his place - something that the likes of Trotter and maybe even Urquhart need to learn.

Every year I go on the same rant, but we have a bloke we delisted who is better than a bloke we trade for. Every ****ing year we do this.

Whyman on his worst day destroys this bloke. Destroys him.

Ben Davies - Gerry Callahan Medallist for 2007

In front of 250 people at the Yarraville Club on Thursday October 4th, Williamstown Football Club staged the 2007 Gerry Callahan Medal & Presentation Night.

Collingwood listed midfielder Ben Davies took out the Gerry Callahan Medal for 2007 after finishing the season in a flurry including a B.O.G against Sandringham in the Qualifying Final. Ben amassed 96 votes throughout the season with his best voting games being the Qualifying Final vs. Sandringham, Round 5 vs. Bendigo, Round 6 vs. Frankston and Round 8 Vs Box Hill. Ben is the first Magpie listed player to take out the Gerry Callahan Medal in the 7 year alignment between Williamstown and Collingwood. With Ben's future at Collingwood to be decided shortly the club hopes Ben may join Williamstown in 2008 and bring his hard running and ball winning skills to the Seagulls.

Fellow Magpie Sam Iles was runner up in the Gerry Callahan Medal falling short by 1 vote, Sam was Mr Consistent in 2007 polling votes in every game he played for the Seagulls throughout the season with his best voting games being Round 5 vs Bendigo and Round 10 vs. North Ballarat.

In a close count 5 players were within 3 votes of each other after the Home & Away season they were Ben Davies, Sam Iles, Brett Johnson, Liam Picken and Patrick Rose.

Top 10 in voting
Ben Davies 96, Sam Iles 95, Liam Picken 88, Brett Johnson 87, Patrick Rose 83, Ryan Cook 77, Scott Meyer 65, Andrew Williams 65, Kane McKenzie 61, Daniel Nicholls 61

Other Seniors awards handed out were:

Most Consistent (Cec Page Memorial Trophy)
Liam Picken

Leading Goalkicker (Bert Hodge Memorial Trophy)
Andrew Williams

Best In Finals
Ben Davies

Im glad he didnt win on something like 15 votes:D

Some of you guys have obviously never seen the facilities down at Point Gellibrand. They make Arden St look like the Lexus Centre!!
Malthouse told Ben after the infamous incident last year v. Hawthorn that he "would never again wear the Collingwood jumper" despite publicly supporting him!! Ben won the Willy B & F this season, and despite being in the best every week, Malthouse was true to his word. Ben is an extremely hard worker who deserves his chance, and the Kangas have given away very little for a bit of extra depth on the list.

Some of you guys have obviously never seen the facilities down at Point Gellibrand. They make Arden St look like the Lexus Centre!!
Malthouse told Ben after the infamous incident last year v. Hawthorn that he "would never again wear the Collingwood jumper" despite publicly supporting him!! Ben won the Willy B & F this season, and despite being in the best every week, Malthouse was true to his word. Ben is an extremely hard worker who deserves his chance, and the Kangas have given away very little for a bit of extra depth on the list.
\

I might be looking a bit stupid here, but what is this incident

I assume he wasn't at Collingwood when Laidley was at collingwood ?

It might be just Malthouse going back to laidley and saying "Look - we got plenty of his type down here and he just isn't getting a go - How about we give him to you for pick 999,999, pay him base wages just to do the kid a favour."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume he wasn't at Collingwood when Laidley was at collingwood ?
No he wasn't. He made his debut in 2005. He played seven matches that season, five in 2006, and he played the entire 2007 season for Williamstown.
It might be just Malthouse going back to laidley and saying "Look - we got plenty of his type down here and he just isn't getting a go - How about we give him to you for pick 999,999, pay him base wages just to do the kid a favour."
Maybe, except there isn't anybody at Collingwood that butchers the ball as badly as Davies does. ;)
How old is the bloke?
He'll be 22 in February.
Doubt we even would have used that pick anyway.
Collingwood will though! Under the new father-son rule, Collingwood can use their last draft pick for Jaxson Barham.

Still waiting.......

sounds like this bloke deserves a chance .

Shit i'd take him for pick 96. He'd be better with a few years in him than some kid. Apparently the draft is shit after pick 25 anyway. Power was a top 10 draft pick, so we got him cheap too.

Maybe this will release Jesse and Sinclair into the midfield. We need to have around 7-8 guys who can all rotate in the midfield, like geelong. I reckon Wells, harvey, simmo, sinclair, smith, lower, harro, swallow.

Who knows, davies might relish the chance at the kangas. We'll wait and see. We still gotta draft some key position defenders and midfielders with freakish speed.

I tell you whos done well this trade period - the saints. They've picked up schneider and dempster and king and charlie gardiner from geelong. That gardiner kid killed it in the vfl grand final. Kangas should've taken him i reckon.

I wonder if anyone on here trashing Davies has actually seen him play more than 2 games?

I've seen all his senior games. Thought at first he looked a pretty good prospect, although his later games he looked a bit lost - might reflect lower confidence, or the fact Collingwood got some kids who looked so comfortable so early in their careers he suffered by comparison. Worth another try at this pick.

I tell you whos done well this trade period - the saints. They've picked up schneider and dempster and king and charlie gardiner from geelong. That gardiner kid killed it in the vfl grand final. Kangas should've taken him i reckon.

Schneider by himself for pick 26 would have been a good trade. The other three are just a waste of list spots.

I can't think of an apt and humorous way to describe Gardiner's ordinary-ness, so I'll wait until NorthBhoy finds this thread.

Schneider by himself for pick 26 would have been a good trade. The other three are just a waste of list spots.

I can't think of an apt and humorous way to describe Gardiner's ordinary-ness, so I'll wait until NorthBhoy finds this thread.

Charlie Gardiner is clearly inferior to Leigh Brown.

How's that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back