Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think they should be stripped of the first draft pick if they finish last, but I've changed my mind. I honestly think it's time to move on. I am fully prepared for you all to flame me for this opinion, but I've had enough.

Before you say "they weren't punished for doping" etc etc, the players have been, and by extension the club has been--they're languishing at the bottom of the ladder as a result of the suspensions. As much as I hate Essendon, and they hate us...it's gotta end at some point.
Sounds like the repeated * message continually put out in the media has achieved its aim. Need to book you in for an extended session of deprograming with Thrawn.:)

I used to think they should be stripped of the first draft pick if they finish last, but I've changed my mind. I honestly think it's time to move on. I am fully prepared for you all to flame me for this opinion, but I've had enough.

Before you say "they weren't punished for doping" etc etc, the players have been, and by extension the club has been--they're languishing at the bottom of the ladder as a result of the suspensions. As much as I hate Essendon, and they hate us...it's gotta end at some point.
I think that pick one comes as a consequence of them doping, yet it is a reward, which is wrong. Move them to the end of the first round and then I am prepared to say move on.

If they had been found guilty of doping at the beginning, instead of "bringing the game into disrepute", I reckon the punishment they've already received as club and players would be enough. I can understand why some would argue for losing another first round pick but for me, it's time to move on.

I think those of us who are willing to move on are of the opinion that the AFL wont punish further, so no point worrying about.

The simple fact of the matter is that Essendon are being rewarded for their punishment and the AFL are complicit in this.

It's ESsendon's fault it's taken this long for their cheating players to be finally suspended, Essendon have spent the past 3 years obfuscating delaying and ensuring they have managed as many of their cheating 34 players off their list to minimise the final impact of the suspensions.

Now that the 12 players are suspended this has demonstrably led to them finishing in a lower position Thant they would otherwise achieved, and consequently the suspensions will reward them with a lower pick, undoubtedly Pick 1.

It's a disgrace

Last edited:
The simple fact of the matter is that Essendon are being rewarded for their punishment and the AFL are complicit in this.

It's ESsendon's fault it's taken this long for their cheating players to be finally suspended, Essendon have spent the past 3 years obfuscating delaying and ensuring they have managed as many of their cheating 34 players off their list to minimise the final impact of the suspensions.

Now that the 12 players are suspended this has demonstrably led to them finishing in a lower position Thant they would otherwise achieved, and consequently the suspensions will reward them with a lower pick, undoubtedly Pick 1.

It's a disgrace
Totally agree... Its nothing like that time we got three consecutive no 1s after draft penalties.

So Timmy is now saying that it's 50/50 wheather they took PEDs or not. I recall him saying he was 100% sure they didn't about a year ago. Make up your mind old man

Well, AFL Tribunal said they didn't, CAS said they did, and presumably if you live inside Tim Watson's skull, that equates to "50-50" o_O.

Plenty of ill-informed stupidity in that article. Funny Watson calling Koch "thoughtless" - Koch knew exactly what he was saying, and he said it because he knows others are thinking it. As others here have noted, and contrary to the blatherings of Watson and Malthouse, the football club was never penalised for doping. This despite the suspension of the players, and despite the players telling CAS that if they *were* guilty, it was only because they'd been duped by the club :eek:. It's clear CAS wasn't interested in punishing Essendon - if they were, they would have made Bellchambers *play*...

Only Worsfold emerges with any credit. The man is proof that common sense isn't all that common.

None of us can change the past, we know the AFL is Corrupt, * are druggies and probably have been for 20 years hence the cover up.1 or 3 players now will not change that. they are forever tainted.

Totally agree... Its nothing like that time we got three consecutive no 1s after draft penalties.
Trouble was, we didn't have 12 best 22 players to add to our mediocre team along with any of the #1 draft picks.

Patrick Smith likened the Dopers' situation to that of a team stricken by injury winning the spoon & getting the #1 pick & welcoming back their injured players. Yeh right, a group of players out their training most days, with limited risk of serious injury, being compared to players coming back from ACL, shoulder, groin, hip, calf, ankle etc injuries.

The Dopers would not be in danger of winning a wooden spoon if they hadn't cheated. The 12 suspended players would have made sure of it. Freo & Brisbane would have been fighting out this year's wooden spoon & I reckon both teams are seriously in need of a #1 draft pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The punishment * have received is only temporary which is why I disagree that it is time to move on. If their suspended players had been deregistered and * had to fight to get them back through the draft where every other club could also take them, then I would be prepared to say that was enough.

In effect, they are being rewarded for AFL sanctioned tanking whereby they play substandard players on a temporary contract while giving valuable exposure to their kids, instead of their best 22, and the result is access to the best kid in the land. They then add him to the 12 who return and I struggle to see how they are being punished.

Trouble was, we didn't have 12 best 22 players to add to our mediocre team along with any of the #1 draft picks.

Patrick Smith likened the Dopers' situation to that of a team stricken by injury winning the spoon & getting the #1 pick & welcoming back their injured players. Yeh right, a group of players out their training most days, with limited risk of serious injury, being compared to players coming back from ACL, shoulder, groin, hip, calf, ankle etc injuries.

The Dopers would not be in danger of winning a wooden spoon if they hadn't cheated. The 12 suspended players would have made sure of it. Freo & Brisbane would have been fighting out this year's wooden spoon & I reckon both teams are seriously in need of a #1 draft pick.

While that all may be true.. We must remember that with those 12 and others since found guilty they finished 15th in 2015. to suggest with 12 players returning they would be a different bag of Spuds in 2017 is not really likely.

While that all may be true.. We must remember that with those 12 and others since found guilty they finished 15th in 2015. to suggest with 12 players returning they would be a different bag of Spuds in 2017 is not really likely.
They would be performing better than the 1-10 result they have achieved so far & when the 12 come back, they will no longer be carrying the burden of an uncertain future, as they were in 2015 (& they will be a fair bit wealthier for their efforts).

I have no doubt the Dopers underachieved in 2015 due to the noose hanging over their heads. That will not be the case in 2017.

The
difference being we were already stuffed and would have finished bottom for those years regardless of the penalties, not because of them. I don't think Essendon should stripped of any more draft picks as some would like, but nor should they get number 1...

Still, its just ****ing into the wind - the AFL wont do any more so time to move on

If they had been found guilty of doping at the beginning, instead of "bringing the game into disrepute", I reckon the punishment they've already received as club and players would be enough. I can understand why some would argue for losing another first round pick but for me, it's time to move on.
Adelaide got a bigger whack for the Tippet scandal, and also imposed their own sanctions. The Bombers got off very lightly.

Essendon have been punished enough, and at the end of the day one player in this years draft isn't going to make a lot of difference to them.
If they finish on the bottom of the ladder, give them their number 1 draft pick... and strip them of every other draft pick in the national draft. Force them to play with top up players again next year.

Block them from trading into the first and second rounds this year. Block them from trading into the 2017 first round.

They get their #1 draft pick... they might get another one next year as well. Thats the punishment for being a pack of serial cheating campaigners!

Two points on why they should be further penalised:

1. Proceeds of Crime legislation acknowledges that benefits should not accrue for wrongdoing. This #1 pick is the result of their wrongdoing.

2. Further, they have ONLY been penalised for governance failures. They have not actually been penalised for doping.

As it stands they have been given no penalty as a club for systematic doping of their players. Now they'll be rewarded. It's a disgrace.

I think they should be moved to the end of the first round but don't see it happening.

At the end of the day they are an average team that could barely make finals, their core players have just had a year off and will be out of touch from afl for a period of next year (don't forget and will be a year older).

They also suffer from Richmond level delusion about where there list is so they will probably get another high draft pick next year. Pick 1 isn't going to save them no more than it saved us, Melbourne, Gold Coast.

Jab needs to lose his brownlow though because if he keeps it the award is meaningless now.

1. Proceeds of Crime legislation acknowledges that benefits should not accrue for wrongdoing. This #1 pick is the result of their wrongdoing.

2. Further, they have ONLY been penalised for governance failures. They have not actually been penalised for doping.

As it stands they have been given no penalty as a club for systematic doping of their players. Now they'll be rewarded. It's a disgrace.
Only problem is that they didnt actually commit a crime.
I'm pretty sure the players' suspension was the penalty for doping.
Make no mistake, i hate them very much, but dont underestimate how a year out of football can negatively affect you. I think they'll be shit for years to come and i think Worsfold is past it as a coach.
In all honesty i dont think they will even finish last this year.

I think it's pretty obvious that the governance penalties were just preemptive penalties for doping. Without going and looking, when has a club ever been penalized for governance before? When we were done for salary cap, did we get done for governance as well? Surely we had governance issues to be in that position? They could probably go through the ins and outs of every club right now and find governance issues.
They had to do something to appease the masses in the media and general football public (well they didn't have to but they did). The player suspensions might be individual penalties but it's also a penalty for the club to have 12 of your best players out for a year.
When you look at the governance and doping bans combined, they've copped plenty, regardless of how it's worded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back