Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Weighing Up Free Agency Move To WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

He came second in the B&F in 2021, so that was a reasonable year.

But I am also disappointed with his lack of improvement from then until now… after 2021 I was hoping he’d develop into a B+ midfielder as he was just coming into prime age. But injuries and other factors means he’s played worse footy across 2023-24 than he did in 2021-22 which has been disappointing.

But he leads the teams tackling and pressure acts year in and year out, so he’s trying his arse off when he gets on the park, so he doesn’t deserve the vitriol he cops when the attitude of a few others players could be questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
17, 18 disposal, low scoring, high pressure high tacking half forward gets him a game under 3 coaches here.

injuries starting to mount up

I cannot see a SA club wanting him.

Maybe Dimma?

Last edited:

He came second in the B&F in 2021, so that was a reasonable year.

But I am also disappointed with his lack of improvement from then until now… after 2021 I was hoping he’d develop into a B+ midfielder as he was just coming into prime age. But injuries and other factors means he’s played worse footy across 2023-24 than he did in 2021-22 which has been disappointing.

But he leads the teams tackling and pressure acts year in and year out, so he’s trying his arse off when he gets on the park, so he doesn’t deserve the vitriol he cops when the attitude of a few others players could be questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do yourself a favour and click that link to refresh your memory on the 2021 season. Check the games played column. He was basically the only player who played all year. All of Prestia, Caddy, Martin, Cotchin, Vlastuin, Edwards, Houli, Astbury, Lambert, McIntosh, Lynch, Nank, Balta and Broad missed massive portions of the season through injury. Castagna and Aarts were similar played most of year. Baker and Bolton were inexperienced kids. His 2nd in the BnF was a reflection on the fact he played the entire season in the guts. He still averaged a paltry 18 touches and was torched week in week out by opponents. Better year than Dow this year but only marginally. Club tried to shop him 2022 but Horne Francis kyboshed that, then his stupid trigger clause snookered us this year. My Job allows me half the night shift to watch TV or sleep. So I used to watch every game 3 times. Check out a 2021 game on kayo for yourself. The 2nd in the BnF that year is a Steven Bradbury. Besides the 2017 GF he's never really done much really.

Last edited:

Do yourself a favour and click that link to refresh your memory on the 2021 season. Check the games played column. He was basically the only player who played all year. All of Prestia, Caddy, Martin, Cotchin, Vlatuin, Edwards, Houli, Astbury, Lambert, McIntosh, Lynch, Nank, Balta and Broad missed massive portions of the season through injury. Castagna and Aarts were similar played most of year. Baker and Bolton were inexperienced kids. His 2nd in the BnF was a reflection on the fact he played the entire season in the guts. He still averaged a paltry 18 touches and was torched week in week out by opponents. Better year than Dow this year but only marginally. Club tried to shop him 2022 but Horne Francis kyboshed that, then his stupid trigger clause snookered us this year. My Job allows me half the night shift to watch TV or sleep. So I used to watch every game 3 times. Check out a 2021 game on kayo for yourself. The 2nd in the BnF that year is a Steven Bradbury. Besides the 2017 GF he's never really done much really.

A lot of truth there.
Our b&f system favours players who play as many games as possible and you get at least a one vote for turning up.

Last edited:

Do yourself a favour and click that link to refresh your memory on the 2021 season. Check the games played column. He was basically the only player who played all year. All of Prestia, Caddy, Martin, Cotchin, Vlastuin, Edwards, Houli, Astbury, Lambert, McIntosh, Lynch, Nank, Balta and Broad missed massive portions of the season through injury. Castagna and Aarts were similar played most of year. Baker and Bolton were inexperienced kids. His 2nd in the BnF was a reflection on the fact he played the entire season in the guts. He still averaged a paltry 18 touches and was torched week in week out by opponents. Better year than Dow this year but only marginally. Club tried to shop him 2022 but Horne Francis kyboshed that, then his stupid trigger clause snookered us this year. My Job allows me half the night shift to watch TV or sleep. So I used to watch every game 3 times. Check out a 2021 game on kayo for yourself. The 2nd in the BnF that year is a Steven Bradbury. Besides the 2017 GF he's never really done much really.
Baker is older, Bolton a year younger, the above isnt correct.

I stated this a few weeks ago , but they can’t comprehend mate.

Jack Graham selected at centreHF, thought he was out with a hammy!!??
good luck if he ends up playing on Mitch McGovern and/or spending most of the game chasing around Adam Saad :oops: :p.

Jack Graham selected at centreHF, thought he was out with a hammy!!??
good luck if he ends up playing on Mitch McGovern and/or spending most of the game chasing around Adam Saad :oops: :p.
Late for one of the kids? Or he’ll make the hammy worse
He'll make it worse. Like he makes us worse whenever he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone picks him up in free agency and we get an end of second round pick, we’d be doing well. Not sure anyone will be interested.
If someone picks him up in free agency and we get an end of second round pick, we’d be doing well. Not sure anyone will be interested.
for the sake of sanctity trade him.

I blame the coach and MC for this guy getting games every week. They have to be incompetent if they can’t see this guys deficiencies.
The first two players I would remove are Graham and Short. I challenge anyone to explain how their presence in the team helps us.

The first two players I would remove are Graham and Short. I challenge anyone to explain how their presence in the team helps us.
Yeah I agree Hoosy and I feel like parrot saying the same thing over and over again. They’re coach killers as well as team killers.

Lol, Baker is older than Graham you goose, and Bolton wasn't that much younger than him(drafted same season) and both had just played in 2 flags. So they were not inexperienced kids at all, or if they were, so was Graham.

Graham and Baker averaged 2.1 votes per game.

Grimes, the winner, averaged 2.3.

Here are the players who played 9+ games by average B & F votes per game played:

2.9 Prestia(9 games only, B & F in flag year)
2.7 Lambert
2.5 Martin(GOAT)
2.4 Broad
2.3 Grimes(AA defender)
2.25 Bolton(5th season on list, born same year as Baker, Graham, and an elite AFL footballer on a marquee wage)
2.1 Graham, Baker, Lynch(marquee wage gun key forward, AA) Vlastuin
2.0 Nankervis(now skipper)
1.9 Cotchin(Triple flag skipper, Brownlow, AA)
1.8 Riewoldt(triple Coleman Medal 3 x AA) Short(previous year B&F in a flag)
1.6 Pickett, McIntosh, Edwards(AA)
1.5 D Rioli, Astbury
1.3 Aarts, Castagna

Graham is equal 7th for average Dyer Medal votes but it has to be tougher to maintain a high level of votes over a whole season than it is for 1/2 to 3/4 of a season. But that is equal 7th in very very hot field. And Bolton was the only player younger than him who averaged more, and it wasn't a lot more and he isn't much younger and Bolton is a superstar.

Graham was roughly the 110th highest rated player in the AFL in 2021, of players playing 10+ matches. This places him around the 6th-7th best player in an average AFL team that year, which is supported by him being =6th highest in our B & F average votes of players playing 10+ games.

That is a genuinely good season from Graham, there would have been a lot more than 7 players paid more than him in 2021. The bloke is not an AFL class inside mid, he is a great transition 2 way runner who was genuinely part of why the team worked so well when it did. He is struggling this year but this is probably to be expected as he is missing more footy than in other seasons and probably having to come back earlier from injury than in those seasons due to necessity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Weighing Up Free Agency Move To WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back