Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from his obvious talent & x-factor......I was very impressed with the way he responded on the w/end after a very quiet game last week:):thumbsu:

People on Facebook still aren't happy with the fact he could be taking Majak's spot....

Maj will have to be patient and in the meantime needs to add endurance to his arsenal. When needed he'll get the cameo roles until he can be our 4 quarter naitinui. He has the best natural ability but needs time to develope the footy brain needed to exploit his own genes. Watch out when he comes alive. Kangas show will be prime time viewing. Deep breaths everyone lots of ups and downs still before its our turn to shine.:D

What's going to be scary with this kid is when he adds a few kegs to his rig, legs chest and waist, he will become next to impossible to stop when the ball is on the ground, can you imagine him with the muscle that Tippett put on over his time off? It is going to be something to watch

I don't agree - a few kilos here and there is natural, but I think he's got the Buddy build and really doesn't need to add much at all in the way of bulk.

He is already excellent in marking contests, and he kills opponents when it hits the deck.

Can you imagine the eruption (both on board and in pants) when someone finally posts the thread topic:

"Aaron Black Re-Signs"

Can you imagine what will happen when that person has the thread title of:

"Aaron Black Resigns"

A good comparison at the moment would be Jack Darling. Similar height and build, good pace, bit of mongrel, but I think Black is much better below his knees which makes him a much bigger threat that Darling.

The kid is abit of a freak, could be anything really..... only knock on him is the range of his kick seems to be limited.... although im not sure if that just my view....

Had to wait 32 posts into the thread for a rebuttal of this. I think he has a fair boot on him. Gets the journey over 50-55 with ease IMO. Of course goal kicking and accuracy in general is a journey not a destination :)

I've posted this elsewhere but one of the most impressive aspects of his game is work rate. He does not stop presenting, working laterally, blocking, defensive acts and of course he has a bit of prick in him. Add his natural talents which we have all seen, along with those of Taz and our biggest concern is just keeping them fit. If we can get Curran fit, we have a 100+ game forward line sorted.

A good comparison at the moment would be Jack Darling. Similar height and build, good pace, bit of mongrel, but I think Black is much better below his knees which makes him a much bigger threat that Darling.

Black (will be) > Darling

Black (will be) > Darling

I think Darling and Gunston are fair (current) comparisons. Both started the season miles in front and the gap is closing. Bias perhaps but I reckon Black's upside is greater.

Mids come and go but finding a forward tall with this talent is exciting. Certainly the single biggest positive of our season to date.

Massive fan of the Pony.. Would love to see how his stats for the first 14 games stacks up against some of the better big fowards in the comp over the last 10 yrs...

Just done a quick 5 minute search of some of the big forwards in the AFL at the moment.

After their first 14 games:
Kennedy (WCE) - 6 goals
N.Reiwoldt - 6
S.Reid - 9
Cloke - 10
Darling - 12
Franklin - 12
J.Reiwoldt - 12
Tippett - 14
Hurley - 17
Crameri - 20
Hawkins - 21
T.Walker - 23
J.Cameron - 24
Black - 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree - a few kilos here and there is natural, but I think he's got the Buddy build and really doesn't need to add much at all in the way of bulk.

He is already excellent in marking contests, and he kills opponents when it hits the deck.
Agree to disagree then because he will become a much better player once he gains some more size, if franklin were to stand next to black you'd see an overwhelming difference in size, he still has a lot to go physically

On that table- Remember that's with Cameron playing as their only real forward option too, Black is scoring heavily as a THIRD tall or second at times, and is crumbing goals a big man should not even be able to.

Just done a quick 5 minute search of some of the big forwards in the AFL at the moment.

Kennedy (WCE) - 6 goals
N.Reiwoldt - 6
S.Reid - 9
Cloke - 10
Darling - 12
Franklin - 12
J.Reiwoldt - 12
Tippett - 14
Hurley - 17
Crameri - 20
Hawkins - 21
T.Walker - 23
J.Cameron - 24
Black - 25
that is seriously impressive by black

I've seen Black first hand a bit this year and if Hawthorn traded buddy for him I'd be pretty happy about it.

Thats about a big a wrap as any opposition supporter could give imo, but tbh id rather watch Black develop in the blue and white. He may never reach Buddy heights, few do, but at least he'd be our player if you know what i mean - Buddy will always be Hawthorn, he's best will always be there. Dont mean to under sell Franklin of course, just very happy with what we have ;)

Kennedy (WCE) - 6 goals
N.Reiwoldt - 6
S.Reid - 9
Cloke - 10
Darling - 12
Franklin - 12
J.Reiwoldt - 12
Tippett - 14
Hurley - 17
Crameri - 20
Hawkins - 21
T.Walker - 23
J.Cameron - 24
Black - 25
Thanks for this, is even better than I had imagined.

Kennedy (WCE) - 6 goals
N.Reiwoldt - 6
S.Reid - 9
Cloke - 10
Darling - 12
Franklin - 12
J.Reiwoldt - 12
Tippett - 14
Hurley - 17
Crameri - 20
Hawkins - 21
T.Walker - 23
J.Cameron - 24
Black - 25

Some other "first 14 games" to compare:

Carey - 11 goals
Coventry - 17
Ablett snr - 20
Longmire - 21
Lockett - 29
Dunstall - 32
Wade - 42
S.Rocca - 43
Salmon - 45
Hudson - 47
McAdam - 60
Coleman - 63
A.Jakovich - 71

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back