Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually low-key shattered. Just was never going to get the opportunity to play in the guts behind the more fancied and more established midfielders on the list. Genuinely think he would've shown more if given the full-time mid opportunities Phillips was this year.

It's probably the right list management decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's on another list in 2-3 years time. He'll dominate the VFL

Actually low-key shattered. Just was never going to get the opportunity to play in the guts behind the more fancied and more established midfielders on the list. Genuinely think he would've shown more if given the full-time mid opportunities Phillips was this year.

It's probably the right list management decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's on another list in 2-3 years time. He'll dominate the VFL
Carve out a few more game at morrabin like wood?

This one sucks.
Really had a good feeling about him.
All the best in the future Lazz.

I really gotta stop backing players, it's a kiss of death
I heard you were a fan of Silvagni

Top notch lad who worked hard. But it's that type of selection which hasn't helped us over the years. Small, not lightning quick, not strong, not anything really. Same goes for Drury. Hope the days of sinking hearts at draft selections, whether national, pre-season or otherwise, are more or less behind us

Top notch lad who worked hard. But it's that type of selection which hasn't helped us over the years. Small, not lightning quick, not strong, not anything really. Same goes for Drury. Hope the days of sinking hearts at draft selections, whether national, pre-season or otherwise, are more or less behind us
The knock on him at AFL level has always been when he has the ball and what he does with it, his decision making. He just doesn’t cut up opposition. Nice bloke, but VFL player at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make drafting sound so simple! We’ve also had times when we’ve recruited for elite kicking (hi Brad McKenzie) and elite speed (Josh Williams come on down). That didn’t turn out well either.

I reckon that Lazz’s form in the VFL showed the type of player we hoped he could turn into. He just couldn’t translate it to AFL level despite multiple opportunities. No shame in that - his efforts and commitment mean he can leave with his head held high, in my opinion anyway.

Go well Charlie.

You make drafting sound so simple! We’ve also had times when we’ve recruited for elite kicking (hi Brad McKenzie) and elite speed (Josh Williams come on down). That didn’t turn out well either.

I reckon that Lazz’s form in the VFL showed the type of player we hoped he could turn into. He just couldn’t translate it to AFL level despite multiple opportunities. No shame in that - his efforts and commitment mean he can leave with his head held high, in my opinion anyway.

Go well Charlie.
Agree with most of this, but he never really got any proper opportunities to play the position that he plays well at VFL level. And he never was going to, because we drafted a billion similar mids. Gave it his all did Charlie. Things might have gone differently for him had he been on another list but he didn't hold back in his attempts to make a career for himself.

When the pressure wasn’t dialed up he looked really good, standout game was the GC game in 2023. Unfortunately when the heat went on his ball handling and decision making wasn’t up to it.

Thought he could have been a decent run with player in another lifetime and maybe a Club like the saints give him a go.

That 2020 draft would have to be the worst ever draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back