350 gamer Brent Harvey - his standing in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the "premiership player", "EJ Whitten medal" and "Captained his country" are neither here nor there. These are barely superlatives let alone career accolades.

Compared to
Voss: 5x AA, 5x Club B&F 2x MVP, 1x Brownlow
Hird: 5x AA, 5x Club B&F, 1x Brownlow, 1 Norm Smith (contentious)
Ricciuto: 8x AA, 3x B&F, 1x Brownlow, 2x AFLPA Best Captain

I just dont think he measures up to those either on paper or from how I personally remember their careers. Those 3 guys were destructive forces who could turn even seemingly superior teams into starstruck onlookers. On par with Buckley though is a fair assessment, I'll give you that one.

......oh dear

"I dont like player X cos he left my club" board.

At family days Brown would just stand around looking disinterested. Gave nothing to the fans who were pumping money into a club that was struggling financially.

Left to go to Richmond for a "better chance at success"

As, if not more talented/skilled. Not as effective as Voss and Hird or Ricciuto in particular. Always thought Bucks was overrated. I think that this quartet are the subject of a fair bit of groupthink, supported by the fact that respective supporters lend weight to the argument.

Anyways, as to the other part of my post, in which I agreed, comparisons are odious (and pointless). I think Boomer is a champion, and perhaps the original point could have been framed as 'doesn't get the plaudits he deserves'?

"I dont like player X because he wouldnt sign an autograph and then he left" board.

He was a good player, shit bloke. That's all I'm saying.

"need to have the last word on an internet forum" board

I would suggest ability and longevity (for all those that claimed he lacked the former but obviously had the latter) are not mutually exclusive.

He is a stud probably not among the elite elite but some of the denigration here has been pretty embarrassing, had the chance to celebrate an incredibly rare achievement but elected to resort to personal or club attack. Ruins the thread and is disappointing.

However, Chad was incredibly courageous. Not really a word i'd use to describe Harvey.

Stand next to the bloke and realise how small he is compared to 99% of footballers and then think about taking the field and copping hard tags (a lot of them dirty tags) for 15 years.

If that's not courageous then I don't know what is.

a north great,next level down from the big guns (hird,voss and Buckley),pace still okay so may be able to go a couple more years.
Carey, Ablett, Matthews, Coleman, Lockett. These are big guns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fair enough,I just compared him against gun mids who he played against in his era.

Yeah, I know. Personally I think he's comparable to those guys. He's been in the top 10-20% of players for around decade. People can harp on about longevity not making a difference but it does, otherwise we'd be sitting here waxing lyrical about who was better between Jesse W Smith & Shane Woewodin.

Will go down as a good player but not one of the greats.

Bit selfish and doesn't have the ability or legend of a Hird Buckley or Voss

Yeah, I think that is about right, good - but selfish - player, a rung below Bucks and Hirdy and probably a couple of rungs below Vossy.

If a player has won a brownlow and more premierships surely Harvey is not on their level?

Yeah he's been selfish here and there. I'll take that though. I mean, he played in some pretty grey periods for our club. I'd rather that he hogged it and kicked the goals himself in some of our eras. What was he gonna do, pass it off to Rawlings or someone?

I'm obviously biased, but I put him right up there in that second tier echelon someone mentioned, the one with Voss, Bucks and Riciutto. I don't see why not. I know they were awarded Brownlows, but Harvey has polled pretty well and consistently. I can't be stuffed, but overall votes per year for each of the players, ignoring whether or not they actually won one, I think they'd all be on quite similar. Add to this Harvey's goalkicking ability, and his longevity, he has to be up there.

I admit I'm biased though. I freaking love this guy.

Can Boomer play 2 more seasons and get to 400games. This seems quite possible to me. I have the guy in my Supercoach team so I am very aware of the impact that he's still making week in week out at the age of 35.

Can Boomer play 2 more seasons and get to 400games. This seems quite possible to me. I have the guy in my Supercoach team so I am very aware of the impact that he's still making week in week out at the age of 35.
On his side is that he has never really had a bad soft-tissue injury. Against him is he has lost a bit of top-end speed. It'd help his cause if he can stay in the pocket for longer periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back