Not open for further replies.
Robert was better
2 browlows
1 mvp
8 all australians
4 best and Fairests
2 most brownlow votes
3 EJ Whitten Medals
He also played in a era where stats were not a descriptive so we don't know how much goal assists he has got but i reckon it would be way more than boomer

Well I disagree. You have nominated individual awards. Harvey has both individual awards and team awards ( ie premiership medallions).

I like Rob Harvey but he as time passes the gloss over his achievements fall away.

Pound for pound Harvey of the Boomer quality is as good as or better than Rob Harvey.

Just one thing though how do you rate Keith Greig as against Robert Harvey.....

Well I disagree. You have nominated individual awards. Harvey has both individual awards and team awards ( ie premiership medallions).

I like Rob Harvey but he as time passes the gloss over his achievements fall away.

Pound for pound Harvey of the Boomer quality is as good as or better than Rob Harvey.

Just one thing though how do you rate Keith Greig as against Robert Harvey.....

Never seen Keith Greig play apart form highlights on footy flashbacks , Looks like a good player with 2 browlows and a spot on the team of the Century but i don't know how good he would be in relation to Harvey or other players in the 90's. I would only compare players that i have seen.

I rate Boomer highly but my opinion is that Robert is better and Tony Lockett has said that Robert was his greatest teammate and that is quite high prasie form Plugger

Team awards mean very little in comparing players Cameron Mooney has 3 premiership medals but he is no way better then Matthew Richardson or even Drew Petrie

Okay the Saints supporters speak of Robert Harvey and Brownlows.

Let's start by saying that Robert Harvey played 33 more games than Boomer has and Robert Harvey has. Also Brownlow votes for this year are not obviously known so for the 346 games played up to the end of last year Harvey had on a total of 159 votes, a game per votes ratio of 2.17 while Robert Harvey has one of 1.781.

Goal assists - R Harvey between 2003- 2008 when they were recorded - 92
B H Harvey between 2003 to 2008 - 103

Inside 50s 1998-2008 by R Harvey 819
1998 - 2008 by B Harvey 983

Clearances 1998 -2008 by R Harvey 858
1998 - 2008 by B harvey 627

Clangers R Harvey 1998 - 2008 by R Harvey 349
1998 - 2008 by B harvey 432

Disposals R Harvey - 9656 - average disposals 25
B Harvey (34 games less) 7269 - average 20

Goals R Harvey - 215 (highest 18)
B harvey (before yesterday) 414 ( 12 times 23 or more goals in a season)

1% 1999 -2008 - R Harvey 238
1990 -2008 - B Harvey 309

Bounces 1999 -2008 - R Harvey 92
1999-2008 - B Harvey 638

All these stats favour Robert Harvey right.......

Never seen Keith Greig play apart form highlights on footy flashbacks , Looks like a good player with 2 browlows and a spot on the team of the Century but i don't know how good he would be in relation to Harvey or other players in the 90's. I would only compare players that i have seen.

I rate Boomer highly but my opinion is that Robert is better and Tony Lockett has said that Robert was his greatest teammate and that is quite high prasie form Plugger

Team awards mean very little in comparing players Cameron Mooney has 3 premiership medals but he is no way better then Matthew Richardson or even Drew Petrie

Greig had 2 Brownlows and 2 premierships so where does that put him- the point I'm unsubtly making is people should get their blinkers off and to have to even rate Boomer with Robert is odious but Saints supporters are so blind to their love affair with Robert Harvey they cannot see the wood for the trees and accept that other players could be on a par with them.

For what it's worth Buckley was a champ as was Robert Harvey as is Boomer but if people must insist NM supporters come out with the numbers we will.

Greig had 2 Brownlows and 2 premierships so where does that put him- the point I'm unsubtly making is people should get their blinkers off and to have to even rate Boomer with Robert is odious but Saints supporters are so blind to their love affair with Robert Harvey they cannot see the wood for the trees and accept that other players could be on a par with them.

For what it's worth Buckley was a champ as was Robert Harvey as is Boomer but if people must insist NM supporters come out with the numbers we will.

Saints supporters can accept that players are equal and better than Robert harvey but he is better than boomer and those stats you have Don't even take into account the first half of Roberts Career and most of his prime years too in the early to mid 90's. During his prime he was considered on to be the best midfielder in the league and he would destroy tags through sheer endurance, Boomer has never been considered to be the best in the league and he does not deal with tags all that well. Robert was never a big goal kicker nor did he spend time as a forward pocket but what he was good at was setting forwards up and he was unselfish in that regard.

Brent harvey has been a very good player but he is Below Robert Harvey, Buckley, Voss , Hird, Ricciuto, Goodes. There is no shame in that but he is better than 95 % of his contemporaries and the people above him are some of the greatest ever to of played.

disagree with that assessment, nowhere near the quartet mentioned in the OP, nor is he one of the all-time greats, despite his longevity and ability.

Yep agree with that assessment as we're talking about some of the all time greats to play the game. Those guys are A+, Boomer is an A with longevity. Fast skilled line breaker with great goal sense. I understand people not liking him, which leads to him being undervalued or dismissed by many, but he's certainly a star of the game.

How many can almost kick a running goal from the wing dodging a swag of players in the dieing minutes of a game like Boomer did tonight. Let alone at 35! However - to be fair, id say the defensive side of his game and/ or contested marking ability stops him from being A+. Attacking wise he's as good as any.

But you see he has one thing Brad doesn't and its what each and every footballer plays for a PREMIERSHIP medal, so he will always be rated higher because of that

Which will forever be why Anthony Rock>Nathan Buckley and Brad Johnson.

Let's start by saying that Robert Harvey played 33 more games than Boomer has and Robert Harvey has. Also Brownlow votes for this year are not obviously known so for the 346 games played up to the end of last year Harvey had on a total of 159 votes, a game per votes ratio of 2.17 while Robert Harvey has one of 1.781.

In 2003 - 08 B Harvey was 25 - 30 years old and physically in the prime of his career while Harvey was 32 - 37 year old with his best behind him. Yet R Harvey still only averaged less than 2 assists a year less than B Harvey despite being in decline and not the same player he was in 1994-1999.

1999-2008 - B Harvey 638

Again comparing a player in his prime (20 - 30) to one on the decline (albeit still a very very good player)

It's funny that Harvey stacks up reasonably well despite the majority of his accolades such as his 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 AA selections, his 1992, 1994, 1997 B&F wins, his 1997 Brownlow and 1997 MVP were won outside of this period.

Which will forever be why Anthony Rock>Nathan Buckley and Brad Johnson.
I could give lots of examples of non-premiership players that my theory would pertain too - does the name Shane Clayton ring a bell? But we are comparing apples with apples - time in the game etc and Boomer and Brad Johnson is the comparison here so that was my point
By the way I think Shane Clayton > Nathan Buckley;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints supporters can accept that players are equal and better than Robert harvey but he is better than boomer and those stats you have Don't even take into account the first half of Roberts Career and most of his prime years too in the early to mid 90's. During his prime he was considered on to be the best midfielder in the league and he would destroy tags through sheer endurance, Boomer has never been considered to be the best in the league and he does not deal with tags all that well. Robert was never a big goal kicker nor did he spend time as a forward pocket but what he was good at was setting forwards up and he was unselfish in that regard.

Brent harvey has been a very good player but he is Below Robert Harvey, Buckley, Voss , Hird, Ricciuto, Goodes. There is no shame in that but he is better than 95 % of his contemporaries and the people above him are some of the greatest ever to of played.

I'm sorry but when the **** did Goodes sneak into this category? Harvey is at least as good or better than Goodes.

I'm sorry but when the **** did Goodes sneak into this category? Harvey is at least as good or better than Goodes.

Now you guys are really getting carried away. Oh dear.

BTW: I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the reason Goodes name isn't coming up is because people are comparing like for like players and Goodes is a utility who has played as a defender, forward, ruckman and midfielder.

In the same way Carey, Scarlett, Tredrea, Richardson are not featuring in these conversations.

1999-2008 - B Harvey 638

The comparison with R Harvey in terms of game stature is quite good. But Uncle Rob was more of a genuine mid whereas B Harvey has played a large amount of his footy on the HFF. Slightly different players, but overall stature in the game quite similar.

Careful with the stats though. I've heard plenty of North supporters go on over the years about how misleading the stats can be when Carlton supporters use evidence to show that Kernahan was equal if not superior to Carey.

If Harvey isn't in Voss, Hird or Buckley's league then Goodes sure as hell isn't either.

Which Harvey?

1) R. Harvey is in Voss, Hird and Buckley's league
2) B. Harvey is not in Voss, Hird and Buckley's league
3) Goodes' career has been better than B. Harvey's, for his ability to dominate from so many positions if nothing else.

Goodes relative to Voss/Hird/Buckley isn't really pertinent to the subject so I'll leave that one alone.

Look.

Robert Harvey is probably the best midfielder I saw through the 90's. Through that decade, I would have him ahead of Hird and Williams, in the midfield category, and to be honest, I thought he was as consistently good, if not better, than Dunstall and Lockett, but behind Carey as the best footballer in that time.

He was a superstar, but comparisons with Brent are just not needed.

Two different footballers, both champions of their respective clubs and era's. Nothing more needs to be said.

Never really been a fan of his. Great career and achievement to make 350 games. Probably a North legend but for mine, not one of the all time greats. A club great though and that's still a great achievement for any player. Probably can go for a few more years too you'd think.

If Harvey isn't in Voss, Hird or Buckley's league then Goodes sure as hell isn't either.
Goodes is so much better than Brent Harvey its not funny....wtf is wrong with you

Harvey is a great player but i have him along side the likes of Tyson Edwards who was also a great player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back