350 gamer Brent Harvey - his standing in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodes is so much better than Brent Harvey its not funny....wtf is wrong with you

Harvey is a great player but i have him along side the likes of Tyson Edwards who was also a great player

Spot on, though edwards would pass to a team mate and was a bit better against the better sides more often

Wooah when is the rest of your comedy show?

I love it when posters can bag out North's players so much and say we overrate our list when we disagree but when we turn the tables, they do the exact same thing we did.

Hint: Goodes is not as good as you think he is. He's on the tier below Voss, Hird and Buckley, though I think Buckley is more on the rung in between the two.

I love it when posters can bag out North's players so much and say we overrate our list when we disagree but when we turn the tables, they do the exact same thing we did.

Hint: Goodes is not as good as you think he is. He's on the tier below Voss, Hird and Buckley, though I think Buckley is more on the rung in between the two.

I would place goodes there too i agree with thar, but i honestly believe no one outside of norths members has harvey near him

U r correct in a way though everyones entitled to a view and even if say i get 9/10 to agree with me it still isnt fact

I would place goodes there too i agree with thar, but i honestly believe no one outside of norths members has harvey near him

U r correct in a way though everyones entitled to a view and even if say i get 9/10 to agree with me it still isnt fact

Harvey and Goodes are apples and oranges. One's 190cm+ while the other is around 169cm. Different players, different positions.

Harvey and Goodes are apples and oranges. One's 190cm+ while the other is around 169cm. Different players, different positions.

Yup true but ones output and standing in the game would be higher especially in big games, 2 brownlows 2 flags and he can play harveys position as well as a key position

Yup true but ones output and standing in the game would be higher especially in big games, 2 brownlows 2 flags and he can play harveys position as well as a key position

He can play the role of a 170cm crumber forward/mid?

wat

Also, those stats are unfair on Harvey. He's only been able to play in one premiership in his 3rd year and that's hardly a single players fault. Unlucky not to have a Brownlow on his neck as well.

lol good one - haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2003 - 08 B Harvey was 25 - 30 years old and physically in the prime of his career while Harvey was 32 - 37 year old with his best behind him. Yet R Harvey still only averaged less than 2 assists a year less than B Harvey despite being in decline and not the same player he was in 1994-1999.

Again comparing a player in his prime (20 - 30) to one on the decline (albeit still a very very good player)

It's funny that Harvey stacks up reasonably well despite the majority of his accolades such as his 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 AA selections, his 1992, 1994, 1997 B&F wins, his 1997 Brownlow and 1997 MVP were won outside of this period.

I did not include B Harvey's numbers post 2008 because that is when Robert Harvey retired.

B Harvey's numbers post 2009 to 2013 are on par or better than some of his early numbers and that gives you some clue why he's a champion - he's output at game 350 is still as good as when he started.

Those stats are:
33 Brownlow votes
66 goal assists
195 clangers
199 clearances
338 inside 50s
105 goals
Over 1800 disposals
214 bounces

Just to put it into perspective when 2009 started he was 30 years of of age so the numbers I've just posted are for a bloke after his 30th birthday.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll let you put that to a vote

Goodes has never excelled playing in a key position. He struggled at CHB, mainly because they tried to hide him there when he was carrying an injury. He has been okay at times as a tall forward without ever setting the world on fire. He once bagged 8 goals vs Freo, the only time he ever kicked more than 4 goals in a game, but he never held down a key forward post for any length of time.

Goodes plays/played his best football when he's been able to use his big engine to roam around the ground and not be accountable for an opponent. He rarely accumulated many possessions playing as a midfielder, averaging about 18 or 19 possessions and 1 or 2 goals per game. His possessions can be damaging because he breaks the lines and carries the ball, but he doesn't always use the ball as effectively as the best midfielders. A bit like Judd, he looks good, but without getting 30 possessions like Judd.

Brent Harvey is far more of a weapon at ground level than Goodes. He gets more of the ball and uses it better. He runs quicker and carries it further. He gets around the second tackler, takes that extra bounce, runs inside fifty and kicks the goal. Obviously Goodes has it all over Harvey in the aerial contests around the ground.

In 2003, Goodes shared a Brownlow playing as an undersized, mobile ruckman. He didn't dominate the hitouts in this role, but he contested well and then roamed around the ground. He played good footy - it was something of a breakout season where he elevated his game - but he was nowhere near the best player in the comp.

Outside of Sydney, Goodes has never been rated as a Top 5 player in the AFL. 2006 was probably his peak year when he won his 2nd Brownlow and averaged 21 possessions and 3 tackles per game. Chris Judd was EASILY the best player of 2006, but Goodes won the Brownlow because he was the flashy standout player in an even top four team that had no other big stars pinching votes off him (like Kerr, Cousins & Cox).

Goodesy's gifted Brownlow votes have always been a big joke amongst rival fans. Basically a good marketing tool for the AFL in the harbour city. That he nearly won a 3rd medal in 2008 and scored more votes than Buddy highlights how much of a joke it is.

It's laughable that you think he is clearly superior to Boomer. It shows just how biased and blinkered you Sydney fans are. I think they are roughly on a par. Goodes is more dominant when at his absolute best, controlling play from both ends of the ground like he did against Collingwood, but this is infrequent. Boomer's baseline performances have been better, so Harvey would get my vote. He has played more good games.

Best and fairests
Goodes - 2003, 2006, 2011
Harvey - 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010

All Australian
Goodes - 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011
Harvey - 2000, 2005, 2007, 2008

I think Harvey played better than Goodes in the years where neither player won any awards.

Goodes has never excelled playing in a key position. .

Stopped reading there, he won a brownlow and all australian in the ruck, given your love for bagging goodes out i dont think your opinion is worth much

Stopped reading there, he won a brownlow and all australian in the ruck, given your love for bagging goodes out i dont think your opinion is worth much
If you kept reading, you'd know I said he played ruck, but I qualified this. In terms of actual ruckwork, Goodes was more like Jarryd Roughead than Nic Naitanui. More of an oversized ruck-rover - he provided a contest and was effective with 2nd and 3rd efforts, but he didn't control the hit outs.

You're the biased twat who thinks Adam Goodes is a god while underselling Brent Harvey's achievements, so don't talk to me about opinions that aren't worth much. I rate Goodes as a champion, but you Sydney clowns act as though he is superior to every other champion. Get your hand off it.

If you kept reading, you'd know I said he played ruck, but I qualified this. As ruckman, Goodes was more like Jarryd Roughead than Nic Naitanui. More of an oversized ruck-rover - he provided a contest and was effective with 2nd and 3rd efforts, but he didn't control the hit outs.

You're the biased twat who thinks Adam Goodes is a god while underselling Brent Harvey's achievements, so don't talk to me about opinions that aren't worth much. I rate Goodes as a champion, but you Sydney clowns act as though he is superior to every other champion. Get your hand off it.

All i said was goodes was beter than harvey i didnt throw him in with any all time greats, far from it, also didnt undersell harveys achievements, the only one who went on a rant trying to diminish someones achievement was you about goodes, the fact he carved your team up on one leg last year seems to have you obsessed, move on.

All i said was goodes was beter than harvey i didnt throw him in with any all time greats, far from it, also didnt undersell harveys achievements, the only one who went on a rant trying to diminish someones achievement was you about goodes, the fact he carved your team up on one leg last year seems to have you obsessed, move on.
Hahahah, you Sydney fans are the ones who can't "move on" from last year's Grand Final. You're the ones who keep bringing it up. I've always had a fairly consistent opinion of Goodes. It hasn't really changed much over the years, probably because he hasn't changed much over years.

I've always rated him highly, but never amongst the top handful of players in any given season. I think it's another similarity between him and Boomer. i.e. they've gained more kudos over time because of their longevity and consistent high output.

edit: Saying that Goodes "carved us up" last year is probably pushing it slightly. :D 14 possessions and 1 goal. Then again, Goodes has shown he doesn't need to do much more than that to receive 3 Brownlow votes, so I can understand your hyperbole.

Fancy Chewy obsessing over Goodes.
No, just talking footy. I saw Swans fans potting Harvey and talking about Goodes at the top of the page, so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

It doesn't matter which player or club I'm talking about, people always think I'm obsessing. Fans of Sydney, Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne, North, West Coast, Fremantle and even GWS and Gold Coast have got stuck into me for my "obsession" and "hatred" of their club.

It's just footy chat, mate.

No need to hold a grudge because Dermott Brereton rightly called out Goodes a few weeks back for his knees and feet first play.

No, just talking footy. I saw Swans fans potting Harvey and talking about Goodes at the top of the page, so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

It doesn't matter which player or club I'm talking about, people always think I'm obsessing. Fans of Sydney, Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne, North, West Coast, Fremantle and even GWS and Gold Coast have got stuck into me for my "obsession" and "hatred" of their club.

It's just footy chat, mate.

You are obsessed with Goodes. Deal with it.

Best and fairests
Teague - 2004
Franklin - 2008
What's your point?

Carlton were shit and Hawthorn were premiers in '08

Goodes best & fairests - Sydney W/L
  • 2003 - 15 wins, 9 losses
  • 2006 - 16 wins, 9 losses
  • 2011 - 13 wins, 10 losses, 1 draw
Harvey best & fairests - North W/L
  • 2003 - 11 wins, 10 losses, 1 draw
  • 2005 - 13 wins, 9 losses