350 gamer Brent Harvey - his standing in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, those stats are unfair on Harvey. He's only been able to play in one premiership in his 3rd year and that's hardly a single players fault. Unlucky not to have a Brownlow on his neck as well.

On what basis is he unlucky to not have won a Brownlow?

He's never managed to get within seven votes of a winner.

Scott West being done by the worst medallist in history by two votes - that's unlucky.

Boomer? I think not.

For those who are using being selfish as a criticism (countless goal assists aside), given how deadly he is around goal and how often his runs end up in goals, at what point does it stop being selfish and start being the best thing for the team?

I wish Wells was just as selfish.

Off-topic a bit, but I wouldn't put Archer in that company to be honest, despite his current place in the AFL Hall of Fame.

Archer was tough, reliable, courageous, durable and embodied the old-time "Shinboner Spirit" like nobody else, but he was never a superstar of the game (genuinely surprised to learn that he gained All-Australian selection three times TBH), and never even won a club B&F.

I mean, consider someone like Wayne Schwass - Played 282 league games, won two B&Fs for North in that era (plus another for Sydney), is named in the Kangaroos Team of the Century, was an All-Australian and a Premiership player, was courageous, exciting, fast and skillful, and has the novelty factor of being one of the few Maoris to play Australian Rules at the highest level, yet you'd probably get laughed out of the place for suggesting him as a Hall of Famer or great of the game.

Same goes for someone like Marcus Ashcroft - 318 games (including 170 consecutively from 1992-2000), absolute stalwart of the Brisbane club (over 150 games as both a Bear and a Lion), 3-time Premiership player, as tough, durable and versatile as you'll ever find, has a bloody medal named in his honour (for BOG in the QClash), yet he's probably nowhere near consideration for HOF honours in the next few years, and nobody except the most dyed-in-the-wool Bears supporters would describe him as "an all-time great".

I'd consider Schwass and Ashcroft to be at the same level as individual players as Archer was, yet I wouldn't expect them in the HOF anytime soon, and wouldn't term them as all-time greats either.

For the era that he played (1992-2007), I'd struggle to include Archer (or Schwass, or Ashcroft) in the best 22 players to play the game in that 15 year period, let alone as one of the greatest of all time in the AFL Hall of Fame, where he sits now.

As for Harvey, he'd would make a best 22 for the era he's played (1996-present), and was/is a better player overall than Archer IMO too. The fact that he's been so consistently good and durable, despite nearly always being the smallest player in the league, and is still playing as well as ever at age 35, is a testament to his ability. "Great of the game"? No, but certainly a very, very good player, and a stalwart and icon of the NMFC.

it is all opinion really, I think Buckley was a hack who made a very poor choice in leaving Brisbane.

Well you have to give him extra points for longevity.

I think the Scott West comparison is pretty fair.

Well you have to give him extra points for longevity.

I think the Scott West comparison is pretty fair.

Pretty good player Scott west... Actually a fantastic player...
Harvey has about 300+ more goals than him though....

Best and fairests
Goodes - 2003, 2006, 2011
Harvey - 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010

All Australian
Goodes - 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011
Harvey - 2000, 2005, 2007, 2008

Brownlow Medals
Goodes - 2003, 2006
Harvey -

Premierships
Goodes - 2005, 2012*
Harvey - 1999

* Captain (and won it off one leg)

Sorry, just finishing that for you Chewy.

i wonder why.....

Because he's not a forward.

West vs Harvey isn't a good comparison because they are completely different players. Clearance midfielder vs outside mid/half forward flanker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's not a forward.

West vs Harvey isn't a good comparison because they are completely different players. Clearance midfielder vs outside mid/half forward flanker.

West was a sensational player.... lost the respect he deserved because of you know what....

West was a sensational player.... lost the respect he deserved because of you know what....

Wow? Really? a North supporter uses this argument based on a rumour (no matter how strong).

Carey was a sensational player... lost the respect he deserved because of you know what.

Wow? Really? a North supporter uses this argument based on a rumour (no matter how strong).

Carey was a sensational player... lost the respect he deserved because of you know what.

wow you really are silly.... dont bother replying you're on ignore

images

I did not include B Harvey's numbers post 2008 because that is when Robert Harvey retired.

B Harvey's numbers post 2009 to 2013 are on par or better than some of his early numbers and that gives you some clue why he's a champion - he's output at game 350 is still as good as when he started.

Those stats are:
33 Brownlow votes
66 goal assists
195 clangers
199 clearances
338 inside 50s
105 goals
Over 1800 disposals
214 bounces

Just to put it into perspective when 2009 started he was 30 years of of age so the numbers I've just posted are for a bloke after his 30th birthday.....

Woosh.

You were comparing a player in his prime to one on the decline, of course B Harvey was going to come out on top.

1994 - 1999 were R Harvey's best years which all of your stats only just covered, with that laughable assists comparison totally ignoring it. During that 6 year period he was named on the ball in the AA team 6 times.

Woosh.

You were comparing a player in his prime to one on the decline, of course B Harvey was going to come out on top.

1994 - 1999 were R Harvey's best years which all of your stats only just covered, with that laughable assists comparison totally ignoring it. During that 6 year period he was named on the ball in the AA team 6 times.
And I showed you Harvey's numbers after his 30s when he has continued to play as well than he did as before his 30s.

As for All Australian, well Maric got it last year (and that says everything about the choice of All australian).

R Harvey and B Harvey were different players but that does not make one necessarily better than the other and Brent Harvey is still producing after 35 and still getting a hard tag.

I find this exercise somewhat tedious given that Harvey of the Robert and Brent kind were/are both champions of the game but while people come out with their partisan biased view of a NM player as if it were fact will continue to point to the numbers which suggest that Brent Harvey belongs to the upper echelon of AFL players in recent AFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back