Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie, I think, made the comment for the second time this year about Harding being like the great Arnold Briedis because he has missed so many opportunities. :mad:

So, I'll let you all decide if Turtle is the new Arnie Briedis...

Originally posted by stewart
Arnie kicked some...this kid is a dud in front of goal...!!

You obviously didn't see the Geelong game. For a small forward in his first season, I'm happy that he can have half a dozen shots on goal. At least he can find the ball and has real pace. His kicking will get better with experience.

Turtle now has more scoring shots than Stephen Milne (but has played one more game) who will probably be All Australian. For a bloke in his first proper season, with a fair bit of improvement in him that is a very positive sign. He can kick better as the Geelong game showed and I think that with a bit more experience we will have a gun player on our hands.

Moomba

I think his conversion was alot better when he was playing reserves. He's still adjusting to the tempo of senior footy. At the moment he's always running full bore. He needs to learn to steady when he's got space and time.

Originally posted by Dingster

You obviously didn't see the Geelong game. For a small forward in his first season, I'm happy that he can have half a dozen shots on goal. At least he can find the ball and has real pace. His kicking will get better with experience.

Exactly.

Jesus people, wake up. He played a fair bit of the game on the wing, pushed along way up the ground, and had 7 shots at goal!!

You can teach composure, and yeah, he must learn to steady sometimes, but you cannot teach a wingman/hff to have 7 opportunities at goal. In his first year, he has impressed me immensly.

I really like the way this Kid keeps at it, It must have be discouraging for him kicking point after point. Im wrapped for him that he didn’t drop his head and continued doing getting the ball, and was finally rewarded.

Arnie kicked some...this kid is a dud in front of goal...!!

Stewart, you are a moron!

The kid has had about 60-70 shots at goal in his first full season (even though he spends a lot of time on the pine). He was a dead eye **** in the magoos and will do the same in the seniors once his confidence grows.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

Exactly.

Jesus people, wake up. He played a fair bit of the game on the wing, pushed along way up the ground, and had 7 shots at goal!!

You can teach composure, and yeah, he must learn to steady sometimes, but you cannot teach a wingman/hff to have 7 opportunities at goal. In his first year, he has impressed me immensly.

Exactly again. Is fast becoming the X factor we lost when Abraham got injured, different style of player, but creates something out of nothing, runs through the lines.

He is very quick out on the lead, I see him playing a Brad Johnson style of game on occassion leading out of the square. very hard to match up on.

love the way this guy can bob and weave get up off the ground after he looks like hes been caught.

ok he got 1- 6 last night but he did pass off a couple didnt he they cant as well. when hes got his motor running he is fantastic to watch and it is his first yr of snr footy,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by speedy
I think his conversion was alot better when he was playing reserves. He's still adjusting to the tempo of senior footy. At the moment he's always running full bore. He needs to learn to steady when he's got space and time.

I agree.

Originally posted by mighty mick
love the way this guy can bob and weave get up off the ground after he looks like hes been caught.

ok he got 1- 6 last night but he did pass off a couple didnt he they cant as well. when hes got his motor running he is fantastic to watch and it is his first yr of snr footy,

I had him marked down as 1 - 7 but yeah some of the stuff his able to do is exciting be patient everyone his still learning the ropes and he did play 2 senior games for us last year.

He reminds me bit of Fruity Allison:)

Originally posted by Gasometer
After a summer of running at goal and kicking goals, harding will not be a Arnie....he will indeed be (& I've said this before):-

Mini Fridge.

A faster 21st century model of the fridge.

gaso:p
i think that is what they describe as "Energy Efficient" these days... perhaps a 4-star rating fridge.

This kid is so exciting!!
The Allison comparison is pretty fair. (good to see Fruity at Stevo's do last night, too)If he turns out like him I'll be rapt - he is so quick. Having him & Choppy burning through CHF was a joy to watch.
We have a big future, I think.

Originally posted by StarBoy

Stewart, you are a moron!

The kid has had about 60-70 shots at goal in his first full season (even though he spends a lot of time on the pine). He was a dead eye **** in the magoos and will do the same in the seniors once his confidence grows.

And you obviously think his kicking is up to it at this level...!!!

Maybe you enjoy certain goals being turned into points, but some great points I might add..

Stewart

Originally posted by Dingster

I hope you are correct, he could be anything, but he cost us against Melbourne & nearly did again on Friday night...For all that, I think he has had a brilliant start, but he is frustrating!!!

Stewart

I hope you are correct, he could be anything, but he cost us against Melbourne & nearly did again on Friday night...For all that, I think he has had a brilliant start, but he is frustrating!!!

Stewart

harding 28-27
king 17-18
grant 12-14
morrell 20-16
mc cartne 8-10

his conversion is not great , but he is not alone

I find it bloody encouraging that a bloke into his second year of playing AFL (he did play a couple games last year) who was only rated as good enough to be on a rookie list until last year has managed over 50 shots at goal.

Brett Allison was a mess in front of the sticks in his first couple of years as well FWIW, and he is a 200 game, 2 time premiership player. And i think something we over look with this kid is that, unlike Fruity, he also does the 1%ers like chasing and tackling and does ok up the ground. And anyone who went to the intraclub's this year will attest to this kid's ability to leap and take hangers. He has the mercurial about him and its just a matter of time IMO.

I think the belief is there with him, and the composure is just another year or 2 as a regular senior player away. Wrapped to have him.

Originally posted by theox

harding 28-27
king 17-18
grant 12-14
morrell 20-16
mc cartne 8-10

his conversion is not great , but he is not alone

It is probably more the way he gets his points, than the actual amount of them...
If you were able to break down the points, I would expect half have come from with 25 metres of goal on no more than a 50 % angle, that's the hard bit to swallow...

5 of his 6 points on Friday would be considered by most as gimme's for a league footballer...

Stewart

5 of his 6 points on Friday would be considered by most as gimme's for a league footballer...

Stewart

Maybe, but think about this.

Only two blokes on that ground on Friday night, would have the speed, nous and ability to put themselves in these situations. Byron and Harding. He made Hawthorn blokes look silly.

As I have said, you cannot teach that, but you can work on your composure. The most encouraging thing IMO, was the fact that he didn't once get upset or disheartened when he was missing. He is young, and I expected him to go into his shell and mope around.

The most pleasing part of the whole night for me, was watching a 20yo, having a bad night, say to himself "**** this, I am going to get it right, and close this game"

He did.

For the record...I really like what I've seen with this kid.

He gets the ball well,
he defensive game is solid,
he contests well,
he can take a mark,
he can read the play and get into position,
he should only improve given his age and experience,

but, IMHO, his kicking at goal is ***** !!! To the point where we have lost one game and nearly did again...!!!

I do not have a problem with the player, just his kicking at goal in some games...!!!

Stewart

For the record...I really like what I've seen with this kid.

He gets the ball well,
he defensive game is solid,
he contests well,
he can take a mark,
he can read the play and get into position,
he should only improve given his age and experience,

but, IMHO, his kicking at goal is ***** !!! To the point where we have lost one game and nearly did again...!!!

I do not have a problem with the player, just his kicking at goal in some games...!!!

Stewart

For the record, I would like to wonder how the **** Cochrane gets a game considering he is crap. If you are going to critisize, do it to the blokes who are not going to improve.

Harding sets the game alight, runs with it, heaps on defensive pressure, and always looks dangerous. His kicking has been wonky in two games, but he has played well in both IMO. He will get it right Stewart, because it is not a technical deficiency.

The boy is one out of the box.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back