3AW naming St Kilda over a alleged assault

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's as simple as that - I don't see any criminal activity in those actions.

However, now that it's gone public an investigation will be required by the AFL and/or the club itself.

Bad PR - which will hurt the Saints. If Daphne's assessment is accurate, expect this one to be dealt with internally and individuals to be in breach of their club's 'code of conduct. I doubt the club will be so forth coming in identifying indivuals.

If it's more than that (ie forceful) - the individuals & club need the book thrown at them.

And if it's a beat up - with the 'victim' making false allegations, she should be dealt with accordingly.

This is from the 3aw site http://www.3aw.com.au/news/news.asp

posted by on Wednesday, 7 July 2004 12:55:00 PM
St Kilda footballers are at the centre of a new claim of sexual misbehaviour.

A woman who was at a Portsea Hotel with a friend who claims she was sexually abused by five AFL players, admits they were drunk, but denies they led the footballers on.

The alleged victim hasn't been to police, fearing the repercussions and believing her complaint would go nowhere.

Earlier today, a family friend said the woman was dragged into a toilet and the players demanded she commit an "explicit sexual act".

The AFL says unless the woman takes her claims to police there's nothing more the League can do.

The League has again called on women to come forward if they believe they've been sexually mistreated by footballers.

Originally posted by morgoth
How legit is this story? Nothing in the news services?
You've got to doubt any eye-witness accounts of someone being r*ped by five footballers when nobody intervened. Surely the common folk of Sorento aren't that tolerant.

No police report. The victim not coming forward.

Sounds like someone should be hung :rolleyes:

Let's just wait and see if the"aggrieved" woman comes forward. I think it is easy to make these accusations and remain anonymous. I think she may be out of her depth on this one and if proven false, as I'm fairly certain they will be, she should be made accountable.

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
The AFL are the one's to blame here. They have been covering up or turning a blind eye on these type of incidents for years. It's time they showed some leadership in this area and made it known to all concerned that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

How are the AFL to blame for any incident that happens with individuals outside of the AFL environment.

Is your employer responsible for your actions outside of the workplace ???

These are private legal matters between two groups of people. The fact that one of the individuals is employed by the AFL is totally and absolutley irrelevant.

It is society at large that needs to send a message that this behaviour (if true) is not to be tolerated

This sort of stuff happens every weekend. Hardly fair to say it is unique to AFL footballers. In most cases it goes no where as they have no idea who the person was but when they are AFL players they are known and can be reported.

Not saying it excuses the conduct but as others have noted it is society not just AFL players.

This sort of stuff happens every weekend. Hardly fair to say it is unique to AFL footballers. In most cases it goes no where as they have no idea who the person was but when they are AFL players they are known and can be reported.

Not saying it excuses the conduct but as others have noted it is society not just AFL players.

Very true Morgoth, however I think that some would say that when a high profile sportsman is involved then the turning of a blind eye, either during or after the incident, is more likely.

Once again this is society's own rules and not the fault of the players, but the players and administration are probably the one's best placed to change society's view on this topic.

Regards

S. Pete

This could come back to bite you Viduka.

There are plenty of these stories dating back several years (as seen at Hawthorn), so I wouldn't rule out a West Coast complaint. You'll look mighty foolish if you then do a back flip.

As it is, if the woman doesn't go to police, nothing else should be made of this.

SP

Agree but in this case it is not rape, no act occured, I am not sure how it would be classified. Something like this whilst not good would normally not go anywhere but when you are an AFL player it is very easy to identify them.

That is all I am trying to say, most blokes have pinched a girl on the bum at a pub, asked for sex etc. Is this any different? Once again not right but something that happens.

Shame that the clubs cover up these sorts of incidents.They are not going to change,when its the bottom dollar of wining at all costs that is at the root of all this.Some AFL players have ego problems,its a shame that they are not told no by the people are ound them.That they get away with whatever they want to and do, becuase they can mean the difference between that club making the finals or not.

Its wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems clubs are like people, some are self destructive no matter how many opportunities they have.

MV's comments about it being hilarious would be valid if there wasn't a victim in all this.

Originally posted by ruth
Shame that the clubs cover up these sorts of incidents.They are not going to change,when its the bottom dollar of wining at all costs that is at the root of all this.Some AFL players have ego problems,its a shame that they are not told no by the people are ound them.That they get away with whatever they want to and do, becuase they can mean the difference between that club making the finals or not.

Its wrong.

Ruth,

I think you are jumping the gun a little. On this partocular issue, no one is doing any covering up at this stage. Neil Mitchell has no ties to either the football club or the alleged victim, he can say what he wants.

For the St Kilda football club the players are employees of the club and they have responsibility to seek explanation from the players and to seek clarification/confirmation of the incident before making any statement to the media.

Regards

S. Pete

Originally posted by superstar
This could come back to bite you Viduka.

There are plenty of these stories dating back several years (as seen at Hawthorn), so I wouldn't rule out a West Coast complaint. You'll look mighty foolish if you then do a back flip.

As it is, if the woman doesn't go to police, nothing else should be made of this.

Nope.. because if it did happen to a West Coast supporter I wouldnt be sitting here backing them and calling the victim a liar.

Originally posted by Mark Viduka
Nope.. because if it did happen to a West Coast supporter I wouldnt be sitting here backing them and calling the victim a liar.

Sanctimonious and stupid. Sad combination!

Originally posted by Stumpy Pete
Hi Ruth,

Who are the "we" that are saying women deserve what they get and that footballers are beyond reproach? So far this thread is simply someone bring a news report to the attention of the readers of this message board, a few people commenting on it and a couple of people making very bad jokes.

And as far a I am concerned if it was my sister and she was so worried about scrutiny that she wouldn't go to the police, I doubt I would go and ring a radio station sbout it.

Regards

S. Pete

What he said -

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say "...women deserve what they get....." in that context or that "...footballers are beyond reproach"
In fact seemingly society demands more from footballers

Originally posted by Mark Viduka
It doesn't surprise me that you'd have difficulty distinguishing between consensual and non-consensual sex. I guess the dog’s happy if you feed him a bone!

But I guess any urban myths that justify your obsessions will be seen by you as fact. This case no different to all the others,

SP

Agree but in this case it is not rape, no act occured, I am not sure how it would be classified. Something like this whilst not good would normally not go anywhere but when you are an AFL player it is very easy to identify them.

That is all I am trying to say, most blokes have pinched a girl on the bum at a pub, asked for sex etc. Is this any different? Once again not right but something that happens.

Fair point Morgoth.

I guess this is case of waiting to see what the facts are. We can only hope that it is the facts that are heard and the facts that are believed.

I am always disappointed when events such as this are thrown in faces of a club's supporters. No one condones this type of behaviour and to suggest that any club, players, administrators and supporters, find such behaviour anything less than completely unacceptable is ridiculous.

Clubs may well have a party culture, a family culture, a culture of success, or a culture of making it to grand finals and losing, but no club has a culture of violence against women.

Regards

S. Pete

Remove this Banner Ad

3AW naming St Kilda over a alleged assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Back