List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been convinced for months now, Dusty re-signing will depend largely on what we do finals-wise this year.
A straight-sets exit, or preliminary final exit, he stays.
We win a flag - he goes and takes the riches on offer.
Deep down I think he wants a flag with us, he achieves that, he's achieved his goal and moves on.

Yes, it'll be shitty compensation but still compensation. If we stay fourth it'll be the #15 draft pick which would be the draft pick immediately after our first rounder.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

The biggest contract in AFL history it would have to go close to possibly 2 first round picks, however we did see Hawthorn only get a late 1st round after winning the premiership so who knows what the AFL pull out of their arse. Geelong who lost Ablett on a 5 year 9.5 mill contract back in 2010 received 2 1st round picks.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

The biggest contract in AFL history it would have to go close to possibly 2 first round picks, however we did see Hawthorn only get a late 1st round after winning the premiership so who knows what the AFL pull out of their arse. Geelong who lost Ablett on a 5 year 9.5 mill contract back in 2010 received 2 1st round picks.
It'd be nice if we could get the compensation we'd deserve but hasn't the AFL already said it'd be a 1st rounder after our 1st?

Christ I'd settle for the #1 draft pick on its own, we could pick up the midfielder everyone's talking about or a gun tall but we all know that's not happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be nice if we could get the compensation we'd deserve but hasn't the AFL already said it'd be a 1st rounder after our 1st?

Christ I'd settle for the #1 draft pick on its own, we could pick up the midfielder everyone's talking about or a gun tall but we all know that's not happening.

How could they say that when the offer hasn't been officially stamped yet?

I have been convinced for months now, Dusty re-signing will depend largely on what we do finals-wise this year.
A straight-sets exit, or preliminary final exit, he stays.
We win a flag - he goes and takes the riches on offer.
Deep down I think he wants a flag with us, he achieves that, he's achieved his goal and moves on.
If we win a flag this year I won't give a **** what anyone does for the next 10 years.
I will be drunk and high for at least three years.

I'm happy with where it sits.
I'm just a supporter and it's the club who is under the pump as to what they do.
They could find ways to match $1.5 sure, but it's up to them to weigh up what it does to not only the payment pool and structure, but to the mindset of the playing group.
And it does cause mayhem any player will tell you that because they are all after the best for themselves and can't help but being envious and bitter too, They're just people. That's the dice our club management are playing with.
North are playing with the same dice too but they have to approach it a little differently. They are selling to their playing list that they are down the bottom and this bloke could help you and no player likes being at the bottom. The club also has to offer hope to its supporters.
Tougher sell to our players in the current climate.
I think where it sits the responsible decision on our part and whatever happens happens.

How could they say that when the offer hasn't been officially stamped yet?
I think they got asked by someone as a hypothetical.

I could be wrong though but I think I read something in either this Dusty thread or the previous one.

Honestly I hope I'm wrong because a late first round draft pick for Dustin Martin is bullshit.

Cheers, I thought if he left you blokes could match it which would result in both teams doing a trade, similar to the dangerfield situation
If we match it, he would be happy to stay.
If he's leaving us, it's for money only and if we match the deal then he gets his money and he gets to stay at the club he really wants to be at.
We can't match an offer as it would **** us over so much.

I'm happy with where it sits.
I'm just a supporter and it's the club who is under the pump as to what they do.
They could find ways to match $1.5 sure, but it's up to them to weigh up what it does to not only the payment pool and structure, but to the mindset of the playing group.
And it does cause mayhem any player will tell you that because they are all after the best for themselves and can't help but being envious and bitter too, They're just people. That's the dice our club management are playing with.
North are playing with the same dice too but they have to approach it a little differently. They are selling to their playing list that they are down the bottom and this bloke could help you and no player likes being at the bottom. The club also has to offer hope to its supporters.
Tougher sell to our players in the current climate.
I think where it sits the responsible decision on our part and whatever happens happens.
For once we are a club who is making sound decisions.
What if we match Dusty's offer and Rance comes out of contract or Cotchin? Sorry guys, we spent too much on your mate Dusty. Take unders pls.

It means Dusty needs to make a decision as we wont be making any more counter offers.
Not necessarily, negotiation is in part making the other party believe they are at the end.
Who's to say we don't have another 50k to 100k up our sleeve if it gets down to brass tacks, and or a marketing/sponsorship deal we have been holding back..
It is not over by a long stretch guys calm down and lets see where the cards land

I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks, and my boss has just scheduled an urgent 1on1 meeting at 2pm :eek:
Haha! I am the boss so:

cartman-i-do-what-I-want.jpg

Not necessarily, negotiation is in part making the other party believe they are at the end.
Who's to say we don't have another 50k to 100k up our sleeve if it gets down to brass tacks, and or a marketing/sponsorship deal we have been holding back..
It is not over by a long stretch guys calm down and lets see where the cards land
stop making sense dickeater

(dickeater avoids the swear filter)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back