AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Tex! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Joining Welcome Home GIF

For mine he's likely to play round 1. If we are going in with two smalls, Snelling + 1 other, and it's down to Tex and Guelfi, Tex must get the nod. Even if he isn't 100% primed, the 5-6 moments of brilliance a game are just so damaging. He's the small forward we've been crying out for.

For mine he's likely to play round 1. If we are going in with two smalls, Snelling + 1 other, and it's down to Tex and Guelfi, Tex must get the nod. Even if he isn't 100% primed, the 5-6 moments of brilliance a game are just so damaging. He's the small forward we've been crying out for.

Have no feel for what his tank is like and that's likely the only thing holding him back.

I love the romance that it's Gavin's son. He was my favourite player until he left.

But there is a substance to this that can't be ignored. I doubt any player has come as far as Tex has in the last 14 months.

He looked small and soft this time last year, nothing like a league footballer should look in the year he was drafted.

He'd hardly played and then only played a single game when it counted. 2 clubs passed on taking him because he so obviously wasn't ready or up to it.

Now he's playing assured footy lighting up practice matches with moments of sublime skill and flair while playing as though the physical side of the game is perfectly natural.

He's going to be a pretty special player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I’m in love. I didn’t eat for two days when dad f’ed off to port. Irreplaceable. ******* shattered me. My Dad walked through on memory for two days straight. It affected us that much.

Never been as gutted as when Gav left.

I’m glad you took him. I didn’t see your practice match so don’t really have any idea about how good he is, but the AFL is always going to be a better place with a Wanganeen in it

Just a reminder for the fans out there who don’t know how incredibly good his old man was at 17,18,19 years old playing league football for Essendon.

That point he kicked near the end of the 93 GF (11 min mark in the clip), he could have easily dummied around Spalding and run right in (except he was exhausted). If he kicked a goal it would have been one of the greatest GF goals ever. Gee it was awesome.

That point he kicked near the end of the 93 GF (11 min mark in the clip), he could have easily dummied around Spalding and run right in (except he was exhausted). If he kicked a goal it would have been one of the greatest GF goals ever. Gee it was awesome.

To top off an unbelievable week for him. Was in the ponsford pocket willing him home as a 16yr old.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Tex! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back