AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Tex! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

This one is a mistake. 2 years and he'd be our best half back. Scott seemingly allergic to blokes with agility and footskills. Could see Hawks pick him up.

What harm was there in giving him the last 3 weeks and then making a more informed decision on him?

It’s Voss all over again, process stinks.

No surprise at all.

But considering he was starting to do well in an area we sorely lack in(HB/BP), a further year as a rookie surely couldn't have hurt.

watch port turn him into a solid contributor.

Wish he had a better run, and more opportunity this year. His involvements were always very effective.

Seems like playing back was easier on his body and maybe could've happened sooner and/or for longer. Ended up being the change of position graveyard guys on the outer at Essendon end up at.

If this were a player with the surname Jackson or Smith we'd be fine with the decision. A skilled but injury prone young small forward who only started to play consistently this year, not good enough as a small forward so sent to defence where he was "ok" but could only attack.

The only concern is if a club picks him up as a skilled small defender in a system that can cover for his defensive issues and we have the same discussion in a year or 2 as we are for Mass now. By the sounds though, Tex isn't on the same level now as Mass was in 2023.

If this were a player with the surname Jackson or Smith we'd be fine with the decision. A skilled but injury prone young small forward who only started to play consistently this year, not good enough as a small forward so sent to defence where he was "ok" but could only attack.

The only concern is if a club picks him up as a skilled small defender in a system that can cover for his defensive issues and we have the same discussion in a year or 2 as we are for Mass now. By the sounds though, Tex isn't on the same level now as Mass was in 2023.

I don't like getting caught by this sentiment.

Tex has a number of high quality attributes: his kicking, his ability to work through traffic, natural ball handling skills and he has a physical edge to the way he plays. He's probably better than average above his head, too.

His name is what got him an opportunity that would never otherwise have been granted. But he took that opportunity to prove that he had the natural ability (we'd hoped that his old man had passed on).

I don't like getting caught by this sentiment.

Tex has a number of high quality attributes: his kicking, his ability to work through traffic, natural ball handling skills and he has a physical edge to the way he plays. He's probably better than average above his head, too.

His name is what got him an opportunity that would never otherwise have been granted. But he took that opportunity to prove that he had the natural ability (we'd hoped that his old man had passed on).

What are his flaws in your view? Honest question, I don't get to watch VFL.

If he has all that going for him then the club obviously see other attributes that are a big failure otherwise they'd persist for the final year he'd be available to us as a rookie. Either big failures or they see other options for his role(s) with lesser failures.

What are his flaws in your view? Honest question, I don't get to watch VFL.

If he has all that going for him then the club obviously see other attributes that are a big failure otherwise they'd persist for the final year he'd be available to us as a rookie. Either big failures or they see other options for his role(s) with lesser failures.
Having a 10 weeks plus injury every pre season did not help his fitness levels.
Did not really ever build the tank so he was inconsistent across the whole game. He would fire for a quarter and then go missing. The last 3 years where the same. Long injury lay off pre season. Misses the first 6 or 7 rounds. Plays some okay footy towards the end of the season.
He had the ability. Just not the engine to go with it and he was also prone to days where he fumbled a bit.
As a half back he did not master the defense quick enough.
His name made people aware but he would have been in a rookie discussion even if his name was Tex Smith. He could play a bit.

Having a 10 weeks plus injury every pre season did not help his fitness levels.
Did not really ever build the tank so he was inconsistent across the whole game. He would fire for a quarter and then go missing. The last 3 years where the same. Long injury lay off pre season. Misses the first 6 or 7 rounds. Plays some okay footy towards the end of the season.
He had the ability. Just not the engine to go with it and he was also prone to days where he fumbled a bit.
As a half back he did not master the defense quick enough.
His name made people aware but he would have been in a rookie discussion even if his name was Tex Smith. He could play a bit.
I'm aware of your thoughts on his deficiencies, you've articulated them well across the year when he wasplaying both forward and back. I was interested to hear Bruno's and whether we have other players that we're persisting with that have a better rounded game.

I'm aware of your thoughts on his deficiencies, you've articulated them well across the year when he wasplaying both forward and back. I was interested to hear Bruno's and whether we have other players that we're persisting with that have a better rounded game.
Sorry. I will not reply until I get permission from Bruno.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Tex! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back