AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

They have used him in a run with role the last couple of weeks.
I hope they can do something with him but there has not been much progress on the kicking front.
Would be interesting to know if they have tried teaching him a different technique or merely to steady before kicking - is he then reverting to his old technique during the pressure of matches?

💯 they are. Wasn't too long ago everyone thought Petracca was a flop. Did sweet FA in his first 3 or 4 seasons. Then burst on the scene like a beast and still going.
Tsatas will be fine. We still need a big bull type in the guts with him aka (Harley Reid) wink wink...... and the likes of Tsatas, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs etc.. will flourish. Future looks bright imo.

Averaged 20 stats and a goal across his 3rd and 4th seasons - and played in a prelim. Hardly ‘sweet FA’

Tsatas might become a player, but his kicking nearing the end of his 2nd season is a worry. I don’t know why some are so afraid to accept this.

FWIW Since 2010 for Sydney 7(+4):

Heeney (A)
Mills (A)
Florent
Hayward
Blakey (A)
McDonald
Campbell (A)
*Sheldrick
*Konstanty
*Green
*Cleary

4 of their 7 first rounders playing regular AFL right now are also Academy selections that they may not otherwise have had access to.

Meanwhile since 2010 they've had these guys also taken as first rounders:

Jed Lamb
Tom Mitchell (F/S)
Dean Towers
Zak Jones
Matthew Ling
Dylan Stephens

So even Sydney has plenty of busts out of their first rounders, they've just had the side benefit of the Academy to prop it up. Gulden was also an Academy player as a 2nd rounder.
You need to look at Sydney’s second and third rounders and their rookies.
Stephens though a poor selection has garnered them an end of first round selection in this draft.
Sheldrick looked very promising last year.
Green and Cleary will both be pretty good though Konstanty probably is in trouble.

You need to look at Sydney’s second and third rounders and their rookies.
Stephens though a poor selection has garnered them an end of first round selection in this draft.
Sheldrick looked very promising last year.
Green and Cleary will both be pretty good though Konstanty probably is in trouble.

Sydney are probably the best in the league draft-wise, but having the Academy access is a massive leg up, they've got a number of guys who'd have gone way above Sydney's actual draft position.

I still think if he can learn how to kick accurately 30 metres that he has a higher ceiling than the others that came after him in the top ten of his draft year.

The kid is an absolute ball magnet and has terrific hands. I liked the way he worked with Setters, Shiel and Bryan last game. That tells me he can work as a cog in a good midfield setup.

The other thing he should be working on aside from his kicking is getting good distance with his handballs. If he can combine speed with distance with his hands he will be an absolute weapon.

Yeah I know - I was debating with myself whether it's the same thing as group think or slightly different and then I agreed to disagree with myself and let it go :)
Isn’t the desire for safety (whether physical or mental) always at the heart of groupthink?

I think it’s an example of groupthink but I’m open to a counter view.

I still think if he can learn how to kick accurately 30 metres that he has a higher ceiling than the others that came after him in the top ten of his draft year.

The kid is an absolute ball magnet and has terrific hands. I liked the way he worked with Setters, Shiel and Bryan last game. That tells me he can work as a cog in a good midfield setup.

The other thing he should be working on aside from his kicking is getting good distance with his handballs. If he can combine speed with distance with his hands he will be an absolute weapon.
I'm in this camp. Learn to live within capabilities, and he will be awesome.... I hope.

Watching Dylan shiel tonight makes me think Elijah should play in front of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played well but certainly did not step out of his lane . Did not really make a lot of attempts to get himself on the outside and run. Lot of handball feeds or short kicks / quick kicks forward . Maybe they have changed the focus and are looking to just develop his inside game . You can see he is going to have plenty of power through the legs. He has big quads and legs. Bit narrow in the shoulders which is probably due to the shoulder injury leaving him a bit under developed.
His physical effort has improved and so has his tackling.
Maybe his lot will just be inside midfielder and he will just have to keep developing a hard edge mindset as he gets stronger.
They have to salvage something out of it.

Played well but certainly did not step out of his lane . Did not really make a lot of attempts to get himself on the outside and run. Lot of handball feeds or short kicks / quick kicks forward . Maybe they have changed the focus and are looking to just develop his inside game . You can see he is going to have plenty of power through the legs. He has big quads and legs. Bit narrow in the shoulders which is probably due to the shoulder injury leaving him a bit under developed.
His physical effort has improved and so has his tackling.
Maybe his lot will just be inside midfielder and he will just have to keep developing a hard edge mindset as he gets stronger.
They have to salvage something out of it.
Adam Treloar is a fair comparison

Adam Treloar is a fair comparison
If they let him play too much outside game he will be as loved as Dylan Shiel is although Dyl has tidied us his kicking by slowing down and balancing before he kicks. Treloar has always been my comparison. Lij can find the footy and has good hands in close but he is going to butcher the footy a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back