AFL Toast RND 5: Win Against The Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

What I really loved was how well we shut down the Dogs’ space from midway through the second quarter. The Dogs just couldn’t get any run going, really struggled getting the ball through our press and with Bont so well shut out of the game by Durham, it was only a matter of time before the dam burst and eventually it did in the fourth.

Fantastic win with so much to like from so many.

confused cop GIF by South Park

I look fwd to Ridley and co coming back.
Yeah I really thought Naughton, JUH and Darcy would trouble us, and obviously the pressure applied further up the ground helped the backs do their thing, but Ridley coming back should help the percentage margin grow significantly, provided we continue to improve our ability to defend up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was coach he would be playing VFL next week for that dummy spit.
Don’t know exactly what he did or said but unless it was off the Richter scale I wouldn’t be fussed as coach.

You want strong, confident competitors who hate not playing. Anyone who gets subbed without being injured should be pissed off!

Poor coaching from bulldogs or good adjustment from us but definitely was exposed deep early. Cost us 3 almost 4 goals. Laverde came across and covered the 4th when he got done cold from a poor aerial effort.
Yes the defensive side is an issue. Do not like the one handed flying for marks from the side of the pack. May as well stay on the ground. Personally I have no issues with them trying something different. You need blokes who can attack from half back with his skill set but we are now starting to get enough sample size to say that it is not going to be a move that you would want to see full time and we really need to find that attacking half back so he can go back to the wing.

Great win but also a frustrating one. There has been a pattern for years where we build some form and slowly expectations rise….we get into a meaningful game and get flogged (last week)……expectations fall away and then we start to play better again.

Thought last year (early) we started to really narrow the gap between our best and worst, hopefully the Power game was a blip on the radar.

Lots of positives last night.
  • Cox was just solid
  • Jones is back to becoming the player we saw he could be on 2021
  • We had presence down the line with Jones and the 2nd ruck

And what about Sammy Durham??? That was as good a two way game from an Essendon mid as we have seen since…..I dunno when. Put the clamps on the best player in the game (or close enough to it) and won footy himself. He’s not just a kamikaze, effort guy either - some of his ball use and movement out of stoppages was top draw. Time to reassess his ceiling if he can continue to play at that level.
Just have to find a way to tidy up scores from turnover and the captain obvious way is hit your handball targets. We manage to look like we are going to do something going inside 50 and stuff it up and everyone is on the back foot and all the opposition players we just beat to get the ball forward are in the box seat.

If I was coach he would be playing VFL next week for that dummy spit.
Not in my book. Shows he cares and it hurts when it is taken away. They will obviously talk about it but you want that sort of passion.

Yes the defensive side is an issue. Do not like the one handed flying for marks from the side of the pack. May as well stay on the ground. Personally I have no issues with them trying something different. You need blokes who can attack from half back with his skill set but we are now starting to get enough sample size to say that it is not going to be a move that you would want to see full time and we really need to find that attacking half back so he can go back to the wing.
My view is that his one handed marking attempts and defensive issues are still a problem on the wing…..play wherever you like, you still have to defend and commit to the contest.

I’m still keen to continue the experiment - have seen enough glimpses to be encouraged.

At times I don’t envy him - he’s clearly charged with playing a distributor role but those ahead of him are far too often stationary targets. My sense is that our poor ball movement from back half is at least as much about what those further afield are doing as it is about the lack of quality use amongst our defensive group.

Just have to find a way to tidy up scores from turnover and the captain obvious way is hit your handball targets. We manage to look like we are going to do something going inside 50 and stuff it up and everyone is on the back foot and all the opposition players we just beat to get the ball forward are in the box seat.
We certainly can butcher an inside 50.

The frustration is that if we do get it in quick and to advantage, Langford and Stringer are absoloutely lethal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back