AFL Toast RND 5: Win Against The Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching live it definitely seemed he moved up ground a bit before half time after getting exposed early. Might have been half back but the positioning seemed to change a bit with Kelly later in the game. Maybe bulldogs were just unable to drag him deeper after the first quarter and a half.

Maybe he was just naturally higher when McGrath started kicking in
Beat me to it.. I'm not sure about the official 'position' he was in.. but heat map clearly shows he was higher against Dogs. Not sure if it was just the game flow or that we had momentum.. but I thought we looked a better side when he wasn't anchored to defensive kick ins.

Interesting looking at the stats and how people are seeing the players. Seems that the more noticeable blunder do stick in peoples minds. Take Hobbs and Caldwell. Now I agree Hobbs has an issue with not taking the first option or at times the right option but if you line the two games up stats wise .
Kicks - Hobbs 11 Caldwell 18
Handball - Hobbs 5 Caldwell 6
Disposal Efficiency - Hobbs 70.6 Caldwell 65.2
Kicking Efficiency - Hobbs 63.6 Caldwell 55.6
I50 - Hobbs 4 Caldwell 5
Clangers - Hobbs 3 Caldwell 8
Turnovers - Hobbs 5 Caldwell 6
Effective disposal - Hobbs 12/16 Caldwell 15/24
Tackles Hobbs 3 - Caldwell 5
Pressure acts - Hobbs 16 Caldwell 20
Score Involvements - Hobbs 5 Caldwell 4
Goal assists - Hobbs 2 Caldwell 0
Now I am not saying Hobbs was as good as Caldwell overall as he was not. Also not saying Hobbs does not have 3 or 4 WTF moments most weeks but using the stats as a measure Hobbs is not going as badly as it would look. I think it is a case of the WTF moments are more memorable in peoples minds. Also take into account that Hobbs is actually being asked to play mainly high half forward and not his natural inside midfielder spot and that does not help either. He is a bloke that is used to crashing in for the footy at ground level and not so much creating stuff as an extra at the contest.
And yes I know stats are not everything and efficiency stats have their flaws but every player is measured by the same set of stats.
I think there is a bit of the few bad things being really noticeable.
Stats can be made to say anything but this is an excellent post. I think some players are unfairly judged by stuff ups and there is often a lot of perception bias in observation of performance. I would argue that I thought Hobbs was really important at various stages and his ability to run out the game was noticeable in the fourth quarter.

I'm 100% a Hobbs bandwagon and I think he is building really nicely. I'd love to see him in the guts a bit more.

If Shiel replaces any of these young guys I will be disappointed. They are the future.

I’m loving the way martin is taking the game on with his kicking. Couldn’t care less about the turn overs this season. I’d rather what he’s doin rather than racking them up and chipping it around

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

It’s a very strange one, if he’s passed a head injury assessment then he’s fine, the alternative is the HIA holds absolutely no weight and is a complete sham.

Not sure which option is worse from an AFL perspective

There’s a heap of brain related things that aren’t concussion still. Reckon it’s the right call to sit him out for a round given they sound like they’ve got NFI what caused it and it’s very obviously not an ankle.

Also Bevo is a flog. Just say the doctors will assess him and provide feedback in due course instead of pretending to be the smug smartest guy in the room saying it’s an ankle. What a tosser.

Bevo was very sweaty last quarter ..didn’t notice on Scott. All a bit weird
Bevo looks like a meth head at the best of times anyway, Scott was red faced and sweaty like he left his computer on and unlocked at home and he forgot to clear his browsing history

Really strange game. One we take the win and move on but I don't think I've seen a Bulldogs side play as poorly against us ever.

It looked like same old 5 minutes into the second quarter but it started to turn and they kept on making mistakes and we just kept on applying pressure.

Durham, Merrett, Langford, Stringer stood out to me. A few played there roles really well. I'm a bit concerned about what Davey can offer at AFL level, seems a long way off.

Take the win, hopefully a few can build from this.

Yes the defensive side is an issue. Do not like the one handed flying for marks from the side of the pack. May as well stay on the ground. Personally I have no issues with them trying something different. You need blokes who can attack from half back with his skill set but we are now starting to get enough sample size to say that it is not going to be a move that you would want to see full time and we really need to find that attacking half back so he can go back to the wing.
I guess what other options do we have. I kinda just wish he went with 2 hands, then problem solved. Ridley plays and we have elite foot skills back there so i guess if not Martin who else.

Think at least last night we didn't have all of heppel, Cox and Martin back there at the same time.

Not sure if anyone else has the skills to play the defensive qtr back role. Roberts? Mcgrath/hind/durham dont have the foot skills.

Duursma? But think as long as Martin is not back there With Cox at the same time we should try and develop martin in the role for a few more weeks.

We still have a lot of slow and reactive ball watchers over the ground in terms of overall defensive balance.

Duursma, kelly and durham help and push back instinctively harder than most.
Really strange game. One we take the win and move on but I don't think I've seen a Bulldogs side play as poorly against us ever.

It looked like same old 5 minutes into the second quarter but it started to turn and they kept on making mistakes and we just kept on applying pressure.

Durham, Merrett, Langford, Stringer stood out to me. A few played there roles really well. I'm a bit concerned about what Davey can offer at AFL level, seems a long way off.

Take the win, hopefully a few can build from this.
Daveys pressure was great. Still long way off bit without guelfi who else do we have.

Snelling gone, Menzies struggling.

Might as well get games into him and see.

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/exclusive/news/1528658/round-five-stats-that-matter for those who aren't members here's a little article.

Essendonfc.com.au breaks down the key stats from round five's scintillating win over the Dogs.

Dons' midfield dominance

After an unflattering performance in the midfield against Port Adelaide, Essendon's engine room were put on notice externally and there was no greater test to respond to than the much-vaunted Dogs on-ball brigade.

The Dons were on in the midfield, winning clearances 16-10 and hitouts 35-23. The most pleasing aspect though was the Bombers' ability to score three goals from centre bounces, a massive tick for a burgeoning on-ball unit.

Who let the Dogs out? Not Red Dog

Defender Mason Redman was a wall against the Bulldogs on Friday night.

The 26-year-old produced a game-high 10 intercepts, quelling multiple forward threats against a potent opposition forward line. Redman also tallied a career-high eight rebound 50s, showcasing his ability to turn defence into attack.

Jones turns provider

Essendon members must have a smile on their faces with the way young key forward Harrison Jones is playing.

Omitted in round two after a quiet start to the season, the 22-year-old has used his return to the team to springboard into career-best form. Jones registered seven score involvements while also booting two goals.

Jones has stepped up in the absence of the suspended forward Peter Wright and looms as a key figure to the Bombers' offensive fortunes this season.

Desperate Davey makes his mark
The Bombers may have found their small forward answer in second-year son-of-a-gun Alwyn Davey Jnr.
in his first full game of the season, Davey not only contributed on the scoreboard with a goal, but produced a team-high 22 pressure acts.
Essendon fans will be hoping for sentiment and productivity that Davey Jnr can grasp his chance and continue to build on his best game for the club.

Dons go four-from-four
Four quarters of Dons footy.
At every change, the Bombers led - outscoring a Bulldogs side who were ranked fourth for offence in 2024.

thats good to see re Davey. He may not be laying tackles properly yet (needs to start using his shoulders more instead of just sticking his arms out in my opinion) but it does feel like he does a better job of harassing opposition backmen when they have the ball in hand than Menzie/Gresh do.
Between him, hobbs, stringer and Jones we created alot more turnovers from the dogs backs with the pressure acts/tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats good to see re Davey. He may not be laying tackles properly yet (needs to start using his shoulders more instead of just sticking his arms out in my opinion) but it does feel like he does a better job of harassing opposition backmen when they have the ball in hand than Menzie/Gresh do.
Between him, hobbs, stringer and Jones we created alot more turnovers from the dogs backs with the pressure acts/tackles.

If someone is going to sheepdog I want a sheepdog who is absolute gas with a great change of direction and can close space quickly.

He’s being picked on potential at the moment but I’m happy to cop that.

If someone is going to sheepdog I want a sheepdog who is absolute gas with a great change of direction and can close space quickly.

thing with potential is that it can turn into so much more. who's banging down the door for his spot at the moment? i'd rather play him and give him the invaluable opportunity that AFL level games provides as opposed to letting him waste away in the VFL. i can understand the benefit of the VFL, but a lot of other clubs give young(er) players more of an opportunity to play at AFL level, even if they don't perform well, but the experience will help build their game more and more.

why pick a jye menzie who's been relatively unimportant to our success this year when we can give a younger player a genuine opportunity to play against high quality opposition, even if he only gets a couple of goals, it'll give him more confidence in the areas that he's good at, and show him what he needs to do better in the future. i'll admit that he looked a bit lost on occasion and really needed to stick tackles but when he had his opportunity in front of goals and didn't waste it, and he looked like a chance for a second late in the third with a kick that went short and just missed the mark.

i might be talking out of my ass but i think him rotting away in the twos will only hinder his capabilities and performances more, based on what i'm reading about our VFL development team et al.

tldr: give him the chance with a consistent string of games

thing with potential is that it can turn into so much more. who's banging down the door for his spot at the moment? i'd rather play him and give him the invaluable opportunity that AFL level games provides as opposed to letting him waste away in the VFL. i can understand the benefit of the VFL, but a lot of other clubs give young(er) players more of an opportunity to play at AFL level, even if they don't perform well, but the experience will help build their game more and more.

why pick a jye menzie who's been relatively unimportant to our success this year when we can give a younger player a genuine opportunity to play against high quality opposition, even if he only gets a couple of goals, it'll give him more confidence in the areas that he's good at, and show him what he needs to do better in the future. i'll admit that he looked a bit lost on occasion and really needed to stick tackles but when he had his opportunity in front of goals and didn't waste it, and he looked like a chance for a second late in the third with a kick that went short and just missed the mark.

i might be talking out of my ass but i think him rotting away in the twos will only hinder his capabilities and performances more, based on what i'm reading about our VFL development team et al.

tldr: give him the chance with a consistent string of games

FWIW Menzie is only 21, same draft cohort as Perkins, Reid, Cox.

One difference this week compared to the VFL is he did chase and pressure . Yes it would be better if that was converted to more tackles but last week he was just running to the outside of the contest looking for cheap kicks .

One difference this week compared to the VFL is he did chase and pressure . Yes it would be better if that was converted to more tackles but last week he was just running to the outside of the contest looking for cheap kicks .

I did notice that. Seemed like he was eternally on the fat side of the contest but far too far off it to have an actual impact.

Not sure if by design or otherwise but he looked miles off then, and then miles better this week. Still picking up the pace though, reckon he’s used to having stacks of time because he does everything quickly and now everything is happening that much faster for him.

The thing I notice he brings that Menzie doesn't is perceived pressure. His close-in speed alone makes defenders panic, which leads to a few turnover. Walla was so good in-part because of the panic he would cause.

We didn't play that well, Dogs made us look better than we were. I'm still as happy as a pig playing in a premiership for Melbourne

Jon Ralph trying to ping the Stringer tackle on Liberatore as a "head shake", aka, whiplash.

* me, we play a contact sport
Well his brain is in a constant state of whiplash given how small it is and how it bounces around in his big head :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back