AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

I can tell you exactly why he has not been selected in the back end of the year.
For whatever reason , maybe lack of confidence in his body and the fact he has missed a lot of footy in the previous three years or maybe (hopefully not) it is not in him but if you spend time watching him closely live you can still write down 10 or so times a game where he has pulled back when it comes to taking on a contest.
The reason they will play Hobbs even if he is out of position is Hobbs attacks the contest unconditionally.
40 possessions despite being scared of contact?

If he gets over his cowardice he'll rack up 60 each game.

40 possessions despite being scared of contact?

If he gets over his cowardice he'll rack up 60 each game.
My sides are splitting. Have you been and watched him. He had 30 in the Metro v Country game and did not look interested in physical contact. Just keep looking at the stats page and you will be fine.

I can tell you exactly why he has not been selected in the back end of the year.
For whatever reason , maybe lack of confidence in his body and the fact he has missed a lot of footy in the previous three years or maybe (hopefully not) it is not in him but if you spend time watching him closely live you can still write down 10 or so times a game where he has pulled back when it comes to taking on a contest.
The reason they will play Hobbs even if he is out of position is Hobbs attacks the contest unconditionally.
Been saying for a while that mindset around contest is a bigger issue for him than his kicking.

Looks like he should have the leg drive to do it…hopefully he can develop the mindset.

Been saying for a while that mindset around contest is a bigger issue for him than his kicking.

Looks like he should have the leg drive to do it…hopefully he can develop the mindset.

Hopefully as he fills out he gains more confidence to throw himself in to contests and contact.

So far he seems to be very willing to work on his weaknesses.

Why did Dodo select a player with quite a few weaknesses with pick 5? I wanted Phillipou so bad...I have faith Tsatas can be a good player for us, but his weaknesses are a worry.

• Hasn't played much over the past 2-3 years
  • Kicking
  • Ability to attack the contest/scared of contact

There is a Grand Canyon sized chasm between what Ant described and “cowardice” or being “scared of contact.”
What ant555 describes I think I've seen and I don't think it's purely "being soft". For me he seems to wait at a contest to pick his moment.

Early VFL games I noticed what I said was his trick, he would slap the ball and run onto it. I said I didn't think this would work long term as space would be simply closed down on him.

We also have had a dumb football team for over a decade, where everyone was sucked in at the contest thinking that was the thing to do. So I'm not sure how I feel about criticising a guy for thinking when to go and when not. Though he'll have to get quicker at figuring that out, and I suppose as the "inside mid clearance beast cog in the wheel that can only play that position and not wing or half forward especially during periods of sou' easterly breeze" maybe he needs to just go more often than not.

Last edited:

Elijah attacks the contest at will

I believe that's why they call it "at will"

Say It Again The Breakfast Club GIF by Laff

Hasn't played much over the past 2-3 years

What are you even on about? He's 19 and has only been on the list for 2. And most players don't usually play a lot in their first year at that (his being more marred by rehab from injury than form).

If you're referencing junior footy then he's played a lot of VFL so that wouldn't even be relevant to today.

What ant555 describes I think I've seen and I don't think it's purely "being soft". For me he seems to wait at a contest to pick his moment.

Early VFL games I noticed what I said was his trick, he would slap the ball and run onto it. I said I didn't think this would work long term as space would be simply closed down on him.

We also have had a dumb football team for over a decade, where everyone was sucked in at the contest thinking that was the thing to do. So I'm not sure how I feel about criticising a guy for thinking when to go and when not. Though he'll have to get quicker at figuring that out, and I suppose as the "inside mid clearance beast cog in the wheel that can only play that position and not wing or half forward especially during periods of sou' easterly breeze" maybe he needs to just go more often than not.
I just want to see him take on and power through stoppages and tackles. He finds footy but his instinct is to offload immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you even on about? He's 19 and has only been on the list for 2. And most players don't usually play a lot in their first year at that (his being more marred by rehab from injury than form).

If you're referencing junior footy then he's played a lot of VFL so that wouldn't even be relevant to today.

You sound angry?

He missed most of his U18 year, then missed half of last year and spent the first 7-8 rounds this year being played as the sub or the carry over emergency.

You sound angry?

Why would I be angry over a football convo?

He missed most of his U18 year, then missed half of last year and spent the first 7-8 rounds this year being played as the sub or the carry over emergency.

You're referencing his time pre-AFL, yet you're ignoring that he's been playing literally every week in the VFL since coming back from injury. You say 3 years because you're using pre-AFL footy and weigh your opinion heavily on that but give no credence to his time in the 2's. As I said, he's 19, been on the list for 2 and not all players break into a side in their first year. So basically it's like 1 year with over a decade ahead of him. Far from what you made it out to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back