Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think that if we win, he wins. I can't see us winning without Heeney being Heeney
I think we've got enough talent spread across the team - and other genuine matchwinners - that we don't have to have Heeney on fire to win.

I think more to the point is that if we win it will almost certainly be because we've contained Zorko and Neale. And then he'd still win even if he fails to poll next weekend.

That said, his form has been so extraordinary over the last month that it's hard to see why that will end.

Glad that Cripps won by a mile so that Heeney doesn't have to anguish about any 'what ifs'.

That said I still think Heeney has been the best player this season. Would have won the coaches' player of the year (which is a much more meaningful award) but for being held back (by suspension and then Horse) and still nearly did. And then has proceeded to be the clear best through the finals series. The QF was where he moved from Hero to Demigod status.

Glad that Cripps won by a mile so that Heeney doesn't have to anguish about any 'what ifs'.

That said I still think Heeney has been the best player this season. Would have won the coaches' player of the year (which is a much more meaningful award) but for being held back (by suspension and then Horse) and still nearly did. And then has proceeded to be the clear best through the finals series. The QF was where he moved from Hero to Demigod status.
The only Brownlow position I didn't like was Naicos. Gets votes for turning up. Cripps does too but carried his team a lot of the time. Naicos is icing, not cake.
Ditto on Heeney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question - do prizes like these count as outside the salary cap?
It's a prize from the media organised by a sponsor of that program, surely only things organised by the club would be included in the cap.

I wonder if he'll get a tap on the shoulder from our major sponsor VW, I thought it was pretty funny he accepted the prize wearing VW logos on each arm lol

I figured as much but who knows these days🤷‍♀️

Yeah just mean if it's not something we're giving him then it's not under the cap. The only blurred line would be if the car was a sponsor of the club potentially but if it's a third party like The Footy Show then it's pretty clearly not coming from us.

All the people saying tag heeney and brisbane win dont realise that heeney is in a league of his own right now similar to dusty

Knew he was their best player but you cant stop him

Good luck to dunkley or anyone else trying to stop him tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back