Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:

I hate that he got named in the forward line. It really doesn’t matter because an AA is an AA but when you’re a top three midfielder in a season I think it’s a little disrespectful to shift them to half forward. Feel like in 10 years or so people will go back and look at these sides and not respect how dominant a season he had. Have said the same about Bontempelli and Petracca in the past.

I hate that he got named in the forward line. It really doesn’t matter because an AA is an AA but when you’re a top three midfielder in a season I think it’s a little disrespectful to shift them to half forward. Feel like in 10 years or so people will go back and look at these sides and not respect how dominant a season he had. Have said the same about Bontempelli and Petracca in the past.
In Heeney’s case it’s significant because he has one AA guernsey already, playing as an actual forward. So history will record him earning two as a forward and won’t recognise the different ways he earned them.

What the absolute **** were Scott's comments re the coaches award for?

How about reframing it to "to think Isaac Heeney finished just 5 votes back after missing 1 game due to a bullshit suspension and resting for another because he and the Swans dominated the competition to the point he didn't need to play"

Last edited:
In Heeney’s case it’s significant because he has one AA guernsey already, playing as an actual forward. So history will record him earning two as a forward and won’t recognise the different ways he earned them.
Zorko got his second last night, as a half back. He got his first as a half forward, while he has spent most of his career in the middle.
Mind you All Australian at 35 is quite an achievement.

I am just glad he made it, maybe they need to just scrap the positions and pick the best?.

He deserved something for his season, I know it's just individual awards, but they do mean something . This was his most consistently great season by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just glad he made it, maybe they need to just scrap the positions and pick the best?.

He deserved something for his season, I know it's just individual awards, but they do mean something . This was his most consistently great season by a mile.
If they did that there would be no backs selected.
It is the only award for which backs are eligible.

If they did that there would be no backs selected.
It is the only award for which backs are eligible.

True 22 mids

Maybe 6 defenders
5 mids
1 ruck
6 forwards

4 whatever

Or put some more thought than that but don't worry about wing, centre , flank.

Pick 6 tall forwards if they are the best 6 for instance.

What the absolute **** were Scott's comments re the coaches award for?

How about reframing it to "to think Isaac Heeney finished just 5 votes back after missing 1 game due to a bullshit suspension and resting for another because he and the Swans dominated the competition to the point he didn't need to play"
What comments are you referring to?

The Heeney Coaches Award fiasco has echoes of Baz Hall doing everything not to win the Coleman in the final round in 2005 - just like Baz, Isaac has more serious team honours in mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back