Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish we would have seen what Heeney's career would have been like had he been moved into the midfield at 21 years old.
I think it’s a bit revisionist that he never played midfield before this year.

He had begun to transition into more midfield time between 2017-2019, would’ve been behind JPK, Parker so wouldn’t have led the midfield though.

That stopped in 2020 after he had a pretty significant ankle injury and when he returned he played forward until this year.

OMG not a milestone game. We're screwed:nogood:
Aren’t we pretty good in milestone games in preliminary finals?

I recall we won Jude’s 300th in 2012 and Goodes’ 350th in 2014.

I think it’s a bit revisionist that he never played midfield before this year.

He had begun to transition into more midfield time between 2017-2019, would’ve been behind JPK, Parker so wouldn’t have led the midfield though.

That stopped in 2020 after he had a pretty significant ankle injury and when he returned he played forward until this year.

He did spend time in the midfield but he spent most of his time in the forward line. 2024 is the first year he has been a proper midfielder and ironically that only happened because Mills and Parker got injured. Longmire originally planned him to be a forward again in 2024.

I really wish we would have seen what Heeney's career would have been like had he been moved into the midfield at 21 years old.

yeah, but we can also say we've just seen arguably the greatest individual finals performance by a swans player ...
he carried the team when we were barely hanging in there, in fact he largely kept us hanging in there, then when enough teammates rallied around him, he carried us to a remarkable victory and a place in swans folklore
we can treasure that

yeah, but we can also say we've just seen arguably the greatest individual finals performance by a swans player ...
he carried the team when we were barely hanging in there, in fact he largely kept us hanging in there, then when enough teammates rallied around him, he carried us to a remarkable victory and a place in swans folklore
we can treasure that

For most teams we could say that with the performance Heeney put in but Sydney have a very very high bar with Nick Davis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figured this would be a good time to jump into the 2018 time capsule to remind ourselves of when he did actually take the Mark of the Year.

How do they compare?

(Just realised it was Hogan that he took this mark over. For some reason I had it in my mind that it was Gawn. But now teammates Hogan and Buckley can compare notes about the time Heeney jumped on their head.)

I am struggling to think of a precedent for the kind of season Heeney has had as a player.

For me it's not just about the marvel that he's been on the field - the many herculean performances, the many highlights, the incredible work rate - but also what he's done for us as a club in general. The eyeballs he's drawn to the screen, the bums he's put on seats, the respect of neutrals he's brought in, is crazy.

Buddy was box office, but he was a polarising and not always popular personality. Dusty was great, but gave the fans and the media little to work with. Bontempelli is on his way, but he's poised and cerebral. Heeney - if only for this year - has been on their level, but is so damn likeable and charismatic. Always smiling, full of character in interviews, humble but confident. He's an absolute joy to get around, and I've heard many neutrals say the same.

Everyone loves Isaac Heeney.

I am not usually drawn to the big names, and I find the concept of repeatedly celebrating the same handful of individuals in what is a team sport asinine and tiresome. But even I get sucked in to the Heeney hype. Largely because I know it is all built on a foundation of my favourite qualities in a footballer - hard work and selflessness. For every brilliant, freakish thing Heeney does, he backs it up with something unseen, something rough and tough that many other quote-unquote superstars would think beneath them.

It makes it very easy to embrace Heeney receiving all the hype in the world, because he deserves it that much. Whatever happens from here on, if I had the chance I'd wanna just say thanks to Isaac for giving us our own piece of history this season that as a club that we'll never forget.

Sorry for the rant.

I am struggling to think of a precedent for the kind of season Heeney has had as a player.

For me it's not just about the marvel that he's been on the field - the many herculean performances, the many highlights, the incredible work rate - but also what he's done for us as a club in general. The eyeballs he's drawn to the screen, the bums he's put on seats, the respect of neutrals he's brought in, is crazy.

Buddy was box office, but he was a polarising and not always popular personality. Dusty was great, but gave the fans and the media little to work with. Bontempelli is on his way, but he's poised and cerebral. Heeney - if only for this year - has been on their level, but is so damn likeable and charismatic. Always smiling, full of character in interviews, humble but confident. He's an absolute joy to get around, and I've heard many neutrals say the same.

I am not usually drawn to the big names, and I find the concept of repeatedly celebrating the same handful of individuals in what is a team sport asinine and tiresome. But even I get sucked in to the Heeney hype. Largely because I know it is all built on a foundation of my favourite qualities in a footballer - hard work and selflessness. For every brilliant, freakish thing Heeney does, he backs it up with something unseen, something rough and tough that many other quote-unquote superstars would think beneath them.

It makes it very easy to embrace Heeney receiving all the hype in the world, because he deserves it that much. Whatever happens from here on, if I had the chance I'd wanna just say thanks to Isaac for giving us our own piece of history this season that as a club that we'll never forget.

Sorry for the rant.

And because the tribunal is actually braindead and we keep hiring garbage lawyers he wont get his just dues for a season of the ages.

And because the tribunal is actually braindead and we keep hiring garbage lawyers he wont get his just dues for a season of the ages.
With all due respect I'm probably the wrong person to talk to about this. There's not one fibre of my being that cares about the Brownlow.

Sorry for the rant.
Every word true and on top of that he's probably the most COMPLETE player running around. Does everything.

Who broke Heeney’s snoz?

And more importantly, where was the high contact free???
I think it was an accidental head clash with Briggs. And by that I mean totally accidental (and incidental to what was going on, so not even a free kick. It was sometime between him taking flying over Buckley and him sneaking forward to take a mark in front of goal. You can see the blood tricking out of his nose as he lines up to take that shot.

Sorry for the rant.
It's why I was never concerned about losing buddy from the perspective of bums on seats because we had a home grown replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back