5th ODI: South Africa vs Australia @ Johannesburg, Sunday 12th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Miller= Messiah said:
I mean even Ponting was laughing at the press conference I think he was just glad in a way to be involved in one of the greatest matches of all time.
Nah, I’d say it’s because he knows he won’t have to contend with Lewis being one of his bowlers anymore.

Greg Miller= Messiah said:
The crowd should be forced to go out of the crowd and pay again for seeing something that great.
While its disappointing that we lost I dont think it really matters I'm just glad I got to see a great game. I cant belive some people are so upset. I'd rather see this then Australia just cruise to victory. Really the trophy we were playing for dosnt really mean much in the scheme of things. I mean even Ponting was laughing at the press conference I think he was just glad in a way to be involved in one of the greatest matches of all time.

Giving Lewis the ball was Pontings idea of a pratcical joke.

best game you will ever see ladies and gentlemen

astonishing, simply astonishing, lost for words other than South Africa and Australia and phenomenal cricket

Re: Australia v South Africa 5th ODayer Appreciation Thread

Amidst all the Lewis and Ponting slander...let me just say I feel privelaged to have watched it live. Something to tell the kids one day :)

Crooked Rain said:
Suck ******** selectors!!!

No Bichel, No Kasper, no Dizzy, no Tait

Instead they pick a pack of gumbies!!

Unless heads roll I feel a dockers style "team rebuilding" announcement to be made very shortly.

Re: Australia v South Africa 5th ODayer Appreciation Thread

We should be thanking Lewis for making it one of the greatest matches ever.

Re: That match was so great - from a neutral point of view - we could...

Was an amazing, once in a lifetime thing- needed a freakish combination of nutcase brilliant batsmen, mediocre bowlers, an ironing board pitch and a tiny, 'concrete-sprayed-green' outfield.

I don't have foxtel, but I thought I'd make the trip to a friends house what with it being the deciding game and all- in hindsight, not a bad decision at all. Just a privilege to have seen it. In the last year, we have seen Australia lose the greatest ODI match of all time, and probably the second greatest Test Match of all time, but hey, its been fun viewing.

I very much suspect that 80 or 90 years from now, when the last doddery old coot from this forum carks it in a nursing home in balmain or wherever, (that's assuming any of us survive the infamous Eddiesmith axe murders of 2048), no other two teams will have ever even looked like getting close to scoring a combined 870 odd runs in one day. Just a once in a lifetime thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you do have to wonder about hogg's future.

if he's not going to play in these last 2 games when he has a decent enough record agiainst and in south africa then why is he even in the sqaud?

either play him or it's time to try a few of the up and coming young spinners.

Re: best game you will ever see ladies and gentlemen

materamagic said:
astonishing, simply astonishing, lost for words other than South Africa and Australia and phenomenal cricket

Then why do I feel like ********e warmed up?

I think the batting was but the bowling Fielding and Captaincy were all atrocious.I dont see how you can say its the best game ever just because one discipline was so dominant
My immediate choice without thinking to deeply would be the wc semi between Aus and SA

Okay, I just woke up. What the hell happened??? :eek:

I went to bed after Australia's innings, safe in the knowledge that we'd have a nice comfortable win. I backed South Africa to win this series, and I'd completely written off that bet.

I think the selectors have some answering to do.

I thought Lewis was a bad choice in the squad originally, and surely this means he won't be picked again??? I reckon Johnson probably would have gone for even more off 10 overs though. Hopefully they've ditched that experiment too!!!

As for Hogg, I have no idea why he wasn't picked in these last two games. His one day record over the last couple of years has been pretty good, but it's obvious that they just don't trust him. They would never have considered leaving Warne out of the team for the last 2 games, even if the pitches were fast bowler's dreams.

Meanwhile, I just couldn't believe that Clark got a go in the test squad ahead of Bracken and nothing that has happened in the two one day games since has shown that to be anything but a stupid decision!!! :rolleyes:

linda said:
I think the batting was but the bowling Fielding and Captaincy were all atrocious.I dont see how you can say its the best game ever just because one discipline was so dominant
My immediate choice without thinking to deeply would be the wc semi between Aus and SA

Agreed on the one sided dominance- of course, it was only a one day game, so dominanceone way or another is likely. Give me a four day match on a pitch that gives something to everyone- and two sides on top of their games. I don't think we have seen the best of either Australia or South Africa

Anybody know what the bookies' prices were after Australia's innings? Knowing Australian bookies, they probably closed off betting altogether, just assuming that we were over the line (as I did :eek:). If not, I suspect they probably had Australia $1.01 or something.

It's not always about the bowling girls, ODI cricket is about batting and entertaining and the mainstream of people find 6 exciting. Either way the nail baiting finsih was one of the best ends to a game you'll ever see with 7 runs to win off the last over and going 9 down with 3 balls to go and 2 to win was just simply awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back