5th ODI: South Africa vs Australia @ Johannesburg, Sunday 12th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: best game you will ever see ladies and gentlemen

milnedog44 said:
It's not always about the bowling girls, ODI cricket is about batting and entertaining and the mainstream of people find 6 exciting. Either way the nail baiting finsih was one of the best ends to a game you'll ever see with 7 runs to win off the last over and going 9 down with 3 balls to go and 2 to win was just simply awesome.

No problem with folks that like the one day game- I just don't rate it as the best game of CRICKET ever. I'm a purist- give me four days

Have just spent the last half-hour or so reading through this thread, and if ever you want some ammo against a group of BigFooty posters for being complete nitwits, this is the thread to bookmark. Human nature at its most dire (Take particular note of the work of the likes of Drummond ... it's priceless).

The first three or four hundred posts are saturated with pitiful gloating over an opposition country whose bowlers were clearly outclassed by the best batting attack in world cricket, garnished with personal sledges against various South African players. (It was a bit like listening to the Adelaide radio commentary on Friday night's game - apparently the premiership's in the bag over there!)

Yet in the first 30 pages, no mention of the flatness the wicket was made ... none at all. Until the Proteas starting clocking up some runs of their own, that is. In fact, it was at about Post#430 where the "road" references first began to appear. Then they starting rolling out a bit like an opening bowler - thick and fast.

Not long after this, they (the posters) began turning on their own team. The Aussie players went from roosters to feather dusters within about forty minutes in real time. Ponting's brilliant innings was suddenly a distant memory, and poor Mick Lewis had his epitaph already pencilled for him.

In the end it was just a shambles of cursing, threatening, self-recrimination and dribble ... hardly befitting of one of the most classic contests of all time. Hell, a couple of blokes are even trotting out the "match fixed" chestnut ... as if they remain in denial that their team are neither beatable nor resilient to the lure of dirty cash.

Thankfully and ironically, however, it was Ricky Pontng who saved the day for me. Congratulations on a fine post-match speech Rickster ... acknowledging the magnitude of the game without being dragged into any mud-slinging or bitter recriminations, enjoying the moment for what it was - a freak of cricketing nature - and displaying the sort of sportmanship that has been sadly lacking in more than one of our cricket leaders of the last few decades.

Punter has won new respect in my mind ... maybe a few posters here could take a leaf of humility and sportsmanship out of his book.

sportznut said:
Anybody know what the bookies' prices were after Australia's innings? Knowing Australian bookies, they probably closed off betting altogether, just assuming that we were over the line (as I did :eek:). If not, I suspect they probably had Australia $1.01 or something.

I think that's what it was, and South Africa were $26.00 - it's in this thread somewhere.

How emabarrassing, we lost the unlosable, im not really sure how u cant defend 434 from 50 overs but there u go..

Just shows what a pop gun attack we have, welcome to the future!!

Full credit to the saffies though!!

Why was Hogg dropped in the first place?

Made way for Mick Lewis who provided nothing but a sameness to the attack?

GBH was in outstanding form, so why was he cut for the last two games? :mad:

Re: Why was Hogg dropped in the first place?

Agree I was suprised Hogg was dropped. He actually looked quite good in the couple of games he did play on tour and I felt maybe arrogance got in the way. Now the Aussie test team is thinking of playing 2 spinners for the test matches?

Crazy

mdunn27 said:
If SAf win, I will buy 3 Carlton memberships
To make things a little easier for you, here is the link to the memberships page of the Carlton site.

Many thanks for your support, we need it. :thumbsu: :D

Re: Why was Hogg dropped in the first place?

Hogg was in great form and obviously they thought the wicket would not be great for spin. However, Clarke bowled well (1/49) and in the form Hogg was in it's safe to say he would have went for less than 0/113 off 10 or 0/54 off 6.

Like Warne at the WACA, Hogg should have been an automatic selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwolf_69
Im a tad worried here. Theyre looking good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
South Africa could win this.

Quote:
1 for 57 of 8 overs. yes they can.

Quote:
small ground. nothing in it for pacemen. Smith and Gibbs having a very good partnership.

1/71 from 9 overs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Man
what would be the pay out if sa won??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty Spice
Those saying South Africa can't win... South Africa have gotten off to a similar start to Australia, and you've just watched Australia score 430 on this wicket.

I don't think South Africa will win, but as of this moment, there's nothing to say they couldn't do it.

Quote:
do we have the strike power to win this??

Quote:
Run rate still equal or thereabouts!!!
Anyone worried?

I want these morons to stick around when we win. Thanks. :)

Drummond, Drummond,

Cricket Odds

Can anyone tell me the odds South Africa were to win after Australia's Innings and when they were 1 for 3. I wish i had a fiver on them.

eddiesmith said:
Because even Aussie domestic players find Dizzy easy to hit around these days :)

If you go on their records this season then Dizzy would have conceded 150 runs off 10 overs :p

If an E/R of 2.39 is being smashed, what do you call 11.5?

GhostofJimJess said:
Have just spent the last half-hour or so reading through this thread, and if ever you want some ammo against a group of BigFooty posters for being complete nitwits, this is the thread to bookmark. Human nature at its most dire (Take particular note of the work of the likes of Drummond ... it's priceless).

The first three or four hundred posts are saturated with pitiful gloating over an opposition country whose bowlers were clearly outclassed by the best batting attack in world cricket, garnished with personal sledges against various South African players. (It was a bit like listening to the Adelaide radio commentary on Friday night's game - apparently the premiership's in the bag over there!)

Yet in the first 30 pages, no mention of the flatness the wicket was made ... none at all. Until the Proteas starting clocking up some runs of their own, that is. In fact, it was at about Post#430 where the "road" references first began to appear. Then they starting rolling out a bit like an opening bowler - thick and fast.

Not long after this, they (the posters) began turning on their own team. The Aussie players went from roosters to feather dusters within about forty minutes in real time. Ponting's brilliant innings was suddenly a distant memory, and poor Mick Lewis had his epitaph already pencilled for him.

In the end it was just a shambles of cursing, threatening, self-recrimination and dribble ... hardly befitting of one of the most classic contests of all time. Hell, a couple of blokes are even trotting out the "match fixed" chestnut ... as if they remain in denial that their team are neither beatable nor resilient to the lure of dirty cash.

Thankfully and ironically, however, it was Ricky Pontng who saved the day for me. Congratulations on a fine post-match speech Rickster ... acknowledging the magnitude of the game without being dragged into any mud-slinging or bitter recriminations, enjoying the moment for what it was - a freak of cricketing nature - and displaying the sort of sportmanship that has been sadly lacking in more than one of our cricket leaders of the last few decades.

Punter has won new respect in my mind ... maybe a few posters here could take a leaf of humility and sportsmanship out of his book.

Heh, but what's new ?

This result could provide the perfect opportunity for Warne to give Ponting a call (or sms), declaring "looks like you need me, when do i start?".

Re: Cricket Odds

At the innings break someone posted the bets were Aus $1.01 and SA were $26. I thought: "If I could, why not put $10 on SA, it's only $10 and SA won't win anyway."

haha.

GhostofJimJess said:

That's a great post. :thumbsu:

No doubt the pitch was mega-flat, you needed to be able to bowl a tight line and length on it not to suffer. Instead, the bowlers from both sides consistently put the ball on a length where the batsmen could free their arms and swing the bat - not idael on a ground which had such small boundaries in places.

Rather than joining the recriminations, I would prefer just to congratulate both Australia and South Africa on one of the most amazing games ever and (as I posted in another thread) sit back and enjoy the fact that cricket can still provide the completely unexpected.

GhostofJimJess said:

Settle down buddy. If you weren't laughing at some of the posts in here you are taking the thread, and the sport, way too seriously. Not many were calling for Ponting's head. Everyone knows he had a brilliant batting innings. They are just commenting on his disgraceful captaincy decisions. And they were disgraceful.

BTW - judging by his attitude in the press conference, I don't think Ponting was taking the game that seriously, and just wanted to play out and enjoy the game, plus experiment a bit with his players, which is OK. It would help explain his captaincy decisions a bit.

Drummond said:
Without doubt, we'll we the joke of the cricketing world. Break the world record by 30+ runs, and don't win the match. Unexcusable, it's a joke. :thumbsdown:

So how did you enjoy your first game of cricket there Drummond? As i said, blind freddie could have seen after South Africa's first 10 - 15 overs that they were going to give it a big shake. I even said that South Africa were going to win around that point, to which said person will now be purchasing a Bulldog Social Club membership.

I can't believe how many of you think it's a choke or the biggest injustace in Australian cricket. South Africa showed early in the tour they were good for a win, and on a track that was perfect for batting and boundary's as bit as my one bedroom unit, it was always going to happen.

Further to that, Australia's bowling line up is a shadow on the 90's line up. We've all been luck to have the last 15 odd years that we've had. I'd love to have known your reactions to games pre 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back