Past #7: Adam Simpson - 306 games for NM (95-09; 5th AT) - NM captain (04-08) - current WCE head coach

who is better boomer or simmo and who would win the brownlow

• boomer

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • simmo

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you kidding? Still hanging out that Woodley, Lasscock and Van Der Klooster will make it? As for this one, bit hard to prove you wrong on something as subjective as this. But to say he should retire just because he was around in 1996 is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

I think you should retire from BF because you were around in 2001 :thumbsdown:

Ha ha ha I'd forgotten those great calls. Lasscock was going to be the next David King.

question for you guys, and not a troll at all

robert harvey and scott west both retired after seemingly still playing well (west was injured, but you know what i mean) and both of those midfields have stepped up a notch, could a similar thing happen with north, or are the lists at different stages?

When you get stuck relying on someone, that guy better be Wayne Carey or things might not click. My reasoning for Simmo retiring is exactly that. It is far too comfortable to let Simmo get 30 week in week out rather than stepping up. Both the Dogs and the Saints found players after these guys retired because they were forced to make them important to the side and they responded. One of Harro's best games was when we had two injured on the bench and he had to play 90% and he ended up with 32. Challenge someone and they can respond.

When you get stuck relying on someone, that guy better be Wayne Carey or things might not click. My reasoning for Simmo retiring is exactly that. It is far too comfortable to let Simmo get 30 week in week out rather than stepping up. Both the Dogs and the Saints found players after these guys retired because they were forced to make them important to the side and they responded. One of Harro's best games was when we had two injured on the bench and he had to play 90% and he ended up with 32. Challenge someone and they can respond.
How many touches has Simmo averaged in the last month?

Wouldn't imagine it would be too high, he has been average. Unfortunately no one has stood up, Anthony being the obvious exception.
Aha! Since Anthony has finally got into the side Simmo has spent much less time in the middle racking up these huge numbers you refer to. I saw him spend considerable time last week in the forward pocket and coming in off flanks after goals. I am not sure if it is the arrival of Anthony or the departure of Laidley, but his role has certainly changed. I like it. It means we still get all the stuff that Simmo brings to the table on-field, as well as giving the likes of Anthony, Gibson, Adams, Greenwood more midfield time.

I love Simmo and he's been a champion player. He's making a few little mistakes now that he would never have made. Time for him to bite the bullet.

This is about where I'm at on Simmo.

Having said that, if we get rid of both Rawlings and Power (and we should!), I'd keep Simmo for one more year.

Hmm sounds like he could be onto something...

vsc08x.jpg

o0e05k.jpg

Actually surprised that he has not been used forward more regularly later in his career as he is very good overhead. Did not work last weekend but worth trying again.

He made a fumbling error on the members wing on Sunday and then smashed his fist violently into the turf before coming off. One of those little signs that indicates it's close to the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can stay, but you will need a new alias.

As for Simmo, was anyone else watching the Sunday Footy Show just then? JB basically said that Simmo wouldn't be playing on next year when asked by Bill. I sure hope we get him as an assistant!

You can stay, but you will need a new alias.

As for Simmo, was anyone else watching the Sunday Footy Show just then? JB basically said that Simmo wouldn't be playing on next year when asked by Bill. I sure hope we get him as an assistant!
Does JB have a say in the matter? Or was it more an indication that Simmo's already made up his mind?

Either way, that's a big, big blow to the development of some of the younger blokes.

If ever the likes of Dish, Wellsy and Rawlings needed to step up, 2010 is the time.

Yay or Nay?

I fail to see how we would benefit from Simmo retiring at the end of the year. As it is, we struggle for experience. Boomer's still a rookie captain, Drew's proven he's far from the on-field leader we require, and the next logical choice has played 9 games and is having hip surgery tonight.

Simmo will be pivotal, if not for his clearance work and undeniable talent, then at least for his leadership qualities.

We need Simmo in '10.

nope,simmo has been great,will get his 300 games and should retire at years end,stay on as assistant/mentor by all means but the game has gone past him now,IMO scotty thompson would make a GREAT captain,should nearly win the sid barker this year

Does JB have a say in the matter? Or was it more an indication that Simmo's already made up his mind?

Either way, that's a big, big blow to the development of some of the younger blokes.

If ever the likes of Dish, Wellsy and Rawlings needed to step up, 2010 is the time.
No JB wouldn't get a say in the matter. It sounded like a decision had been made, whether that be by Simmo himself or the club, I don't know.

I'd let Simmo retire, move Rawlings on, and (this will be controversial I guess?) and then take a skilled but underperforming mid from ours or another teams list - like a Salopek?, and turn them into a Ling style tagger who can hurt teams when in possession.

I dunno if Lower or even a Riggio could do it out of our list, but if we developed a skilled-tagger then the Power/Rawlings/Simmo skilled guys could be banished from our team FOREVER. Surely there are skilled guys not quite up to an attacking mid quality who'd take the role and cherish it - the way Libba did at the Bulldogs (though without the eyegouging). A quality VFL/WAFL midfielder?

Fukk, I didn't see this coming at all...

North Melbourne's Adam Simpson eyes exit
Damian Barrett | July 27, 2009 12:00am

NORTH Melbourne's match against Carlton at Etihad Stadium on Friday night is expected to be Adam Simpson's last. The 33-year-old captain, who in 2009 has compiled one of the best seasons of his 15-year career in the AFL, has been pondering his future for many weeks.

The Herald Sun believes that as early as today he could announce his impending retirement to teammates before training at Arden St.

Simpson has played all 17 matches this year, and was again among the better players in North's loss to the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday night.

It is understood he considered retiring earlier this year when Dean Laidley was still coach.

Friday's match will be Simpson's 306th.

A humble Simpson has said to many people this year that he would not feel comfortable passing the club's games-record holder Glenn Archer (311), with whom he played in the Kangaroos' 1996 and 1999 premierships.

If Friday's match is his last, Simpson will sit outright second on that table, one game in front of 1970s and 1980s champion Wayne Schimmelbusch.

Simpson wants to pursue a coaching career.

I'm flying down to Melbourne on Friday primarily to see Collingwood V. Brisbane at the G on Saturday night. But, I'm also going to your match on Friday night. Sad to see Simpson go but he has had a great career, well done Simmo :thumbsu:. I will be sure to clap him off the field on Friday night.

What a great career, a great bloke and a great North person. All the best Simmo if in deed this is the end.
No doubt, will be snapped up as an assistant somewhere next year. It would probably be good for him if it is at another club, although if all our assistants were to go, he could be invaluable to any new coach with his knowledge of the players.
Somehow I feel confident that he'll end up at North in some capacity before long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #7: Adam Simpson - 306 games for NM (95-09; 5th AT) - NM captain (04-08) - current WCE head coach

Back