AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed by Jon Ralph that there’s no truth in it.

Shocked.. not
Like there was no truth in the fact the Saints where considering Thomas until they where not once the backlash started.

It is not the media making this stuff up. They get fed the info. People need to pull their heads out of the sand.
Morris would have been fed the story. It is his job to report it. He even said it is unlikely but that is how it works. Funny how if it is Essendon then it is just garbage click bait but if it is anyone else then lets read it.
It is not a big pile of crap. It is a bloke reporting on info that a club is going to look at offering big coin to an opposition teams captain. That is the story. The fact that anyone wants to take it further and say it is crap and it will not happen is on them. That is not what was reported.
If these story's where simply crap that no one wanted to hear then no one would run with them. No one would post them. It would be a non event.
Blame the clubs and the player managers. They are the ones leaking the info. We do it as well.
I think you are underestimating morris' ability to add 2 and 2 to get 500. If this was coming from a Twomey or Cleary then I would agree.

I think you are underestimating morris' ability to add 2 and 2 to get 500. If this was coming from a Twomey or Cleary then I would agree.
Trust me. I do not do random very often.
People are very naive if they think that clubs are not doing this to see what falls out or even to plant a future seed.
I think that people do not factor in that it is part of the game played by clubs and player managers.
If it is a few of the media sitting around offering opinions about who would fit where or saying this bloke may go there because he has a relationship with someone then yes it is 1 + 1 = 15.
In this case all that was reported was they where considering an offer. It has now been denied by the Saints but the seed is now out there. Game has been played.
If the media continually just makes shit up they would not last long. Clubs would stop feeding them what they want out there. The info more often than not ends up not being right but is not the game. The game is misinformation and that is why most of the guys in the bigger media outlets survive over time despite maybe getting 1/10 right.

It is not the media making this stuff up. They get fed the info. People need to pull their heads out of the sand.
Morris would have been fed the story. It is his job to report it. He even said it is unlikely but that is how it works. Funny how if it is Essendon then it is just garbage click bait but if it is anyone else then lets read it.
It is not a big pile of crap. It is a bloke reporting on info that a club is going to look at offering big coin to an opposition teams captain. That is the story. The fact that anyone wants to take it further and say it is crap and it will not happen is on them. That is not what was reported.
If these story's where simply crap that no one wanted to hear then no one would run with them. No one would post them. It would be a non event.
Blame the clubs and the player managers. They are the ones leaking the info. We do it as well.
I don't really want to get into an argument with you, as I think you're working on a different definition of 'clickbait' (please google it). You only need to read the heading to understand that's exactly what it is. IF Morris is getting fed information... cool... he just needs one quote and not pad out an article with his own conjecture. Until he does that, me and everyone else are perfectly justified in calling it BS. If it's his 'job to report the information he's being fed' then he's terrible at his job as... a few hours later everyone comes out and says there's nothing to it. I also have it on good authority that Ricky Mott is coming to Essendon ;)
If people want to get themselves all worked up and believe everything that is reported in the media in a 24-hour cycle that's on them. If people want to defend journalists for racing to be the first to report a story without doing any fact checking... ditto.

I don't really want to get into an argument with you, as I think you're working on a different definition of 'clickbait' (please google it). You only need to read the heading to understand that's exactly what it is. IF Morris is getting fed information... cool... he just needs one quote and not pad out an article with his own conjecture. Until he does that, me and everyone else are perfectly justified in calling it BS. If it's his 'job to report the information he's being fed' then he's terrible at his job as... a few hours later everyone comes out and says there's nothing to it. I also have it on good authority that Ricky Mott is coming to Essendon ;)
If people want to get themselves all worked up and believe everything that is reported in the media in a 24-hour cycle that's on them. If people want to defend journalists for racing to be the first to report a story without doing any fact checking... ditto.
You are not understanding the game. This was not media driven. This is a club feeding info to plant a seed in the game that gets played through the media. It is no different to the Pies feeding Jay Clarke that Hobbs may be looking for more opportunity and they are monitoring it or Essendon telling Cal that they are into Ainsworth. The whole point is now if things go wrong with us Merrett knows there is one club looking to offer very large coin.
I have a very good line on how this works. If the media runs around just making stories up then their pipeline into the clubs gets cut off. How many of these guys get run out of the major media outlets ? Everyone hates them as they report stories that effect their footy club but the simple fact is almost all of it is driven by opposition clubs with an agenda or player managers angling for something. The fact stories sell is the by product.

You are not understanding the game. This was not media driven. This is a club feeding info to plant a seed in the game that gets played through the media. It is no different to the Pies feeding Jay Clarke that Hobbs may be looking for more opportunity and they are monitoring it or Essendon telling Cal that they are into Ainsworth. The whole point is now if things go wrong with us Merrett knows there is one club looking to offer very large coin.
I have a very good line on how this works. If the media runs around just making stories up then their pipeline into the clubs gets cut off. How many of these guys get run out of the major media outlets ? Everyone hates them as they report stories that effect their footy club but the simple fact is almost all of it is driven by opposition clubs with an agenda or player managers angling for something. The fact stories sell is the by product.
Nah I understand the concept of throwing the notion out there. What I object to is publishing an article that makes it seem like there is more to the story than what there is...

“It’s a lot of cash“: Tom Morris explains the Saints' audacious bid to lure Zach Merrett.​

The real headline: Some unnamed person at the Saints might be interested in Merrett in the future if a specific set of circumstances were to unfold.

Zach already has a lambo so I’m not sure a pile of money is that novel anymore

Media keep pointing to us not offering contracts with the uplift included.

They neglect the fact we would have some very nice benefits off the books for these guys.

Essendon have declared captain Zach Merrett is off limits to rival clubs after St Kilda were forced to distance themselves from a report linking him with the Saints.
“Neither the club nor Zach have any interest in exploring the concept. He is our captain and not going anywhere,” an Essendon spokesman told this masthead.
Zach Merrett walks off the MCG with deputy Andy McGrath.

Zach Merrett walks off the MCG with deputy Andy McGrath.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
A report by Nine chief football reporter Tom Morris on Sunday night stated there was interest from the Saints in securing the talented midfielder.
The Nine report made it clear that no formal approach had been made and stated the chances of Merrett joining St Kilda were remote, but it was a topic of discussion at both clubs on Monday.

“We have not approached his management with a contract offer for Zach to join St Kilda,” St Kilda said in a statement.
“There has also not been any formal discussion of this topic with Zach or his management.

Play Video

9news reporter Tom Morris discusses St Kilda's potential offer to Zac Merrett.
“We will not be making any further comment on this matter.”
The Saints have a war chest to spend in available salary cap space or total player payments (TPP), and as this masthead reported earlier this year, they have made no secret of wanting to add A-grade midfielders to their list. Coach Ross Lyon has consistently pointed to their inability to win midfield battles in post-match losing media conferences.

In recent seasons, they have targeted players including Jordan De Goey, Hugh McCluggage and Luke Davies-Uniacke.
Fremantle star Andrew Brayshaw, who was initially coached by Ross Lyon in his first two seasons in the west, has also been a name on St Kilda’s whiteboard.

The club came under fire when long-time recruiter and adviser Graeme “Gubby” Allan met former North Melbourne gun Tarryn Thomas.
Merrett is known by those closest to him as a brutal competitor and someone who will do just about anything to achieve success.

He turns 29 next month and has played 229 games for just four finals, all of which were losing ones.
He signed a six-year contract extension midway through 2021, which was Ben Rutten’s first full year as senior coach.
Rutten was moved on at the end of the 2022 season and was replaced by Brad Scott.
Merrett met Scott earlier this month and voiced his frustration and displeasure after two of his best mates at the club, Jake Stringer and Jayden Laverde, were denied contract extensions by the Bombers.

Before signing the contract extension in June 2021, Merrett did a significant amount of due diligence, including meeting a number of rival clubs.
He sat down with friend and Carlton captain Patrick Cripps, and twice met Collingwood – once in Noosa with Scott Pendlebury and then coach Nathan Buckley, and again with Buckley at a later date.
In Merrett’s two seasons under Scott, the Bombers have fired early but slipped out of the top four and the top eight late in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think Zach's reported issues with Lav & Stringer being pushed out have more to do with the clubs plans to rebuild/refresh the list than about losing his mates? If he's seeing the writing on the wall that Scott & Co are moving towards a rebuild and youth focus when he really only has another 2-3 'guaranteed' years in of his prime (he may do a Pendlebury and kick on at a high level to 36/37 but that's a very rare genetic trait) then there may be something to him at least being somewhat open to considering moving to a club that at least wants to have a crack at success that better fits his career timeline
Well for one we have no idea if Zach is entertaining the offer. But if he is, your reason is one that makes sense. Zach wants a flag in 2025 and believes it can happen, only to find no other players or administrators are on the same page.

The other reason would be if he isn’t buying Brad Scott. I felt all year they were on the same page. But not sure.

Tom Morris was probably set up by someone at the Saints to look like a bigger fool than he already is, next weeks scoop - Nick Daicos heading to Carlton on a massive 10 year deal

Well it would have been a massive step backwards for ess if they let him go. I for one see him as the face of the club right now and they are working hard to rebuild a positive culture. He’s a very good leader - he just needs better back up on game day. Build a winning team around him. Thats a WIP.
No harm in other clubs having a wish list. But I’m glad efc said something very quickly.

Tom Morris was probably set up by someone at the Saints to look like a bigger fool than he already is, next weeks scoop - Nick Daicos heading to Carlton on a massive 10 year deal
You do not know how it works do you ?

What I don't get is we have had a great record in terms of player retention for a while now (for good or for worse). Why anyone would think Zach of all people would leave was actually rather silly.
Tell that story next year if we do not improve.

DONS URGED TO UPGRADE MERRETT’S DEAL

Essendon has been urged to extend and upgrade skipper Zach Merrett’s contract beyond 2027 to a more lucrative deal to avoid any sort of “disaster.”

Both St Kilda and the Bombers rejected suggestions Merrett could be traded this off-season after Nine’s Tom Morris reported the Saints were preparing an offer north of $1 million to lure the star midfielder, who’s at times been frustrated over Essendon’s lack of success.

While there’d reportedly been no format contract offer made, Morris reported talks between Merrett, 28, and the Saints were “more advanced” than just a club showing interest in a player.

Fox Footy’s AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley implored the Bombers to get proactive in sorting a new Merrett deal that’d tie him to the club for life.

“Essendon should sort this, shouldn’t they? If there’s even a hint he’s a little bit discontent, just give him a long-term deal, pay him the money .. and get him on the right deal to lead the club through this next phase properly,” he said.

“I’d be doing a five or six-year deal this week. He’s got three and evidently the money is a bit low. (Tell him): ‘You’re the best player, you’re the captain, you’re lighting the future. We have no asset more important than you, let’s just do this’.

“‘Bomber for life’ is the headline you want to see.” ( I did like this bit, make it happen mods - opps I mean Essendon :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: )

Asked if there was any circumstance Merrett leaves Essendon, chief Herald Sun reporter Mar Robinson said: “Only if Zach Merrett says ‘I want to leave the football club’ — and to my knowledge, he hasn’t said that,” which Whateley said would be a “disaster.”

Robinson added: “If Zach Merrett walks into the football club, as captain the club, and says ‘I want to leave’, that club’s in turmoil. Utter turmoil.”

DONS URGED TO UPGRADE MERRETT’S DEAL

Essendon has been urged to extend and upgrade skipper Zach Merrett’s contract beyond 2027 to a more lucrative deal to avoid any sort of “disaster.”

Both St Kilda and the Bombers rejected suggestions Merrett could be traded this off-season after Nine’s Tom Morris reported the Saints were preparing an offer north of $1 million to lure the star midfielder, who’s at times been frustrated over Essendon’s lack of success.

While there’d reportedly been no format contract offer made, Morris reported talks between Merrett, 28, and the Saints were “more advanced” than just a club showing interest in a player.

Fox Footy’s AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley implored the Bombers to get proactive in sorting a new Merrett deal that’d tie him to the club for life.

“Essendon should sort this, shouldn’t they? If there’s even a hint he’s a little bit discontent, just give him a long-term deal, pay him the money .. and get him on the right deal to lead the club through this next phase properly,” he said.

“I’d be doing a five or six-year deal this week. He’s got three and evidently the money is a bit low. (Tell him): ‘You’re the best player, you’re the captain, you’re lighting the future. We have no asset more important than you, let’s just do this’.

“‘Bomber for life’ is the headline you want to see.” ( I did like this bit, make it happen mods - opps I mean Essendon :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: )

Asked if there was any circumstance Merrett leaves Essendon, chief Herald Sun reporter Mar Robinson said: “Only if Zach Merrett says ‘I want to leave the football club’ — and to my knowledge, he hasn’t said that,” which Whateley said would be a “disaster.”

Robinson added: “If Zach Merrett walks into the football club, as captain the club, and says ‘I want to leave’, that club’s in turmoil. Utter turmoil.”
I don't believe we should at all. He's contracted for another 3 years, he's agreed to that so honour it. He was happy to sign that contract so that's what it is. Essendon would be in my humble opinion overacting if they were to 'lock him away.' Zach can decide in 3 years if he wants to be a one club player.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back