Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - has he taken the Mark of the Year?

Remove this Banner Ad

3 goals to his name seems a decent effort on paper. For those who watched the VFL, does he deserve a call-up?

I don't even know what his role is in this side, or whose position he takes,
He played a really good game and was the difference in the last quarter. If he plays it would be as a third or fourth tall. If the inside 50 count and slow ball movement against the blues is the same as against the swans, he may struggle to impact.

3 goals to his name seems a decent effort on paper. For those who watched the VFL, does he deserve a call-up?

I don't even know what his role is in this side, or whose position he takes,
His marking was on point and lead pretty well. Did not get super involved as a half forward and only the 1 tackle.

I don't think he should be in next week on exposed form.

His marking was on point and lead pretty well. Did not get super involved as a half forward and only the 1 tackle.

I don't think he should be in next week on exposed form.

Not sure we will see him until the clubs believes he's pulled his finger out and is acting like a pro footballer.

And if that's next week, fantastic, I do though look fwd to that day

He is such a lovely mark and is just dangerous around the goals. If there are concerns on his attitude per above with being professional, then best to nip that behavior in the bud now. From the game yesterday and watching him on the bench from the rotations, he look super invested to me for what it’s worth.

Is there any confirmation he has attitude issues or is this just another Lachie Hansen-style assessment where he looks laconic?
Good old laconic loogie! It was in a discussion of Lachie's laconicism that I first learned that the usage of "laconic" in Australia doesn't really follow it's original meaning, morphing from "terse to the point of being rude" into "laidback".
I'm also curious if there's anything substantive to these innuendos of Zane's attitude problems.

Lachie Hansen, Zane Duursma, Ben McKay, Leigh Brown. Laconic lads from the land of Gipp.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good old laconic loogie! It was in a discussion of Lachie's laconicism that I first learned that the usage of "laconic" in Australia doesn't really follow it's original meaning, morphing from "terse to the point of being rude" into "laidback".
I'm also curious if there's anything substantive to these innuendos of Zane's attitude problems.
A bit like "I'll be buggered". I had been using the term for years until I found out the true meaning. I was horrified. Still am.

I think the coaches are playing the long game here and getting him primed to go back into the 1’s and never go back to the VFL again.

I’m sure his ego would have taken a whack seeing the likes of Caddy getting some recent air time, along with some of his other draft class. There is also some sibling rivalry as well, where older brother Xavier who went #18 in the draft has had a better 1st year in the competition. These guys are all super competitive, and they don’t end up as a top draft pick for no reason.

Looking forward to when he is name is called out for the 1sts again. Maybe this weekend if they feel Ford or Pink needs a spell??

I think the coaches are playing the long game here and getting him primed to go back into the 1’s and never go back to the VFL again.

I’m sure his ego would have taken a whack seeing the likes of Caddy getting some recent air time, along with some of his other draft class. There is also some sibling rivalry as well, where older brother Xavier who went #18 in the draft has had a better 1st year in the competition. These guys are all super competitive, and they don’t end up as a top draft pick for no reason.

Looking forward to when he is name is called out for the 1sts again. Maybe this weekend if they feel Ford or Pink needs a spell??
If Curtis Taylor drops too many more chest marks in front of goal, there may be a spot available for Zane

To me he looks noticeably bigger from start of the year. As does Will Dawson points well to their work ethic and also that finally we seem to have a clue in physical development. One of my greatest gripes has been seeing players like McDonald, Taylor etc barely a size bigger than from when drafted

He looks taller too.

The player he reminds me of as a rookie is actually Nat Fyfe.

Similar slim build, playing forward due to his height, similar vertical and ability to float across packs.

I'd say he's has better ball use than Fyfe did, but no idea if he'll fill out in the same way. Really intriguing selection.
I don't think he plays with the brutality of Fyfe, good call though. I'm still in the plays like James Hird camp. Either way, gunna be exciting this kid

He plays like Mark Lecras, fox footy expert commentary Micky Ablett told me

Taylor Garner

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - has he taken the Mark of the Year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back